Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
I think 2012 is unlikely. 2013 seems more likely.

I also think the MBP gets a redesign in 2012.

JPizzzle

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
perhaps a 1080p screen? I'm not sure if this is even possible. In regards to the MBP rumors are that their will be a redesign, in which the MBA would not be far down the line. It is possible that apple might want to do the air at the same time as the pros, but there's no way to find out. I have the 2010 mba 11", and was debating whether to sell off and upgrade to the new 11" ultimate, but am worried for a 2012 redesign. We shall see...

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Buy what you need now. I need a laptop now, air fits my profile, so I got it. I did wait for the sandybridge but if the 2010's were just released I would of bought one then on the spot.

JPizzzle

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
hah, well now i'm not so eager to upgrade my 2010. The only reason I would upgrade the 2010 is for the likely improvement in aperture performance, other than that the 2010 ultimate does everything I need splendidly. Gem has it right, if you need a laptop now grab this one and go for it. Be happy to grab it in the beginning of the refresh since you will get the most time with the newest hardware before a refresh. Newer models will always be better, and you'll always want to upgrade regardless....

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Yes, next version, major redesign, probably be a carbon-fiber shell like the next MBP. This version was a minor refresh.

solowmodel

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
Only refreshed at the end of last year so highly unlikely, especially as it's currently a great design.

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
Ya never really know what Apple's going to do as far as redesign goes. Not this far in advance (the new ones were JUST released). If you need/want one now, then just go for it. Use it.

When a refresh eventually happens, (which could still be a while, look at how long the Mac Pro design has been around... when Apple finds something they like, they tend to really stick with it... anyways) you could then sell and buy again.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Anything is possible with Apple, but if you always wait for something else that's coming later, you'll never enjoy what's here now. I look at the Rev E as the culmination of what was started with the Rev D. That model brought the form factor and pricing to make it mainstream, and the Rev E brought the processor (and Thunderbolt port) for the future. If Intel were ready with the Sandy Bridge last October, or had they not had the licensing fight with NVIDIA over the graphics processor, we'd have seen the Core i5/i7 then. There's nothing really "wrong" with the form factor, and so I don't think we'll see a major change for a while.

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
these new Airs are great. the waiting game is a horrible, grueling nightmare, and a gamble you may lose.

there's no reason to skip this generation. in my opinion, it's the 'coming of age' of the Air.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
The iMac went through 1 major redesign followed by two internal refreshes before it hit Unibody. The current iMac design has had 2 internal refreshes so far so we'll find out if the next one is a redesign.

The MacBook Pro has just completed it's second internal refresh after the original Unibody redesign. This is only the first internal refresh for the MacBook Air so I think it won't happen until two more releases.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
these new Airs are great. the waiting game is a horrible, grueling nightmare, and a gamble you may lose.

there's no reason to skip this generation. in my opinion, it's the 'coming of age' of the Air.

Exactly. This is the first MacBook Air that can truly be considered simply a good, solid, mainstream notebook computer. Not a good, solid ultraportable, or a good premium notebook for its class, but a good overall notebook for the masses. There aren't many people out there for whom the $1199 or $1299 models aren't adequate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.