PDA

View Full Version : MBA + Mini = Perfect Thunderbolt Duo?

Enthios
Jul 23, 2011, 11:13 AM
I'm looking for a good use of Thunderbolt in the new MBA's, and was wondering if using Thunderbolt to connect to the new Mac Mini might provide the perfect solution...for someone like me, at least. I do a lot of photography and need reasonable "in the field" editing and workflow capabilities (Photoshop and Lightroom) but can do most of the heavy editing and archiving back home with a large external monitor and HDD's. It occured to me I could use a Mac Mini at home and the MBA for travel and photography. It wouldn't matter which of the two devices I use at home because they would be connected at warp speed.

Am I missing something? What would the limitations be?

Also: there is a lot of talk of daisy-chaining Thunderbolt devices, but I don't see how you can daisy-chain without two thunderbolt ports (or a Y connector) on each device?

sporadicMotion
Jul 23, 2011, 11:24 AM
I'm looking for a good use of Thunderbolt in the new MBA's, and was wondering if using Thunderbolt to connect to the new Mac Mini might provide the perfect solution...for someone like me, at least. I do a lot of photography and need reasonable "in the field" editing and workflow capabilities (Photoshop and Lightroom) but can do most of the heavy editing and archiving back home with a large external monitor and HDD's. It occured to me I could use a Mac Mini at home and the MBA for travel and photography. It wouldn't matter which of the two devices I use at home because they would be connected at warp speed.

Am I missing something? What would the limitations be?

Also: there is a lot of talk of daisy-chaining Thunderbolt devices, but I don't see how you can daisy-chain without two thunderbolt ports (or a Y connector) on each device?

I don't think Thunderbolt is designed for use with two computers at once, only multiple peripherals (if that's what you're saying.) It would be pretty simple to swap the TB cable as needed though...

I'm considering the same thing:

MacBook Air + Mac Pro vs MacBook Air + Mac Mini + Cinema Display

Enthios
Jul 27, 2011, 01:25 AM
Yeah I'm now considering MBA + iMac, and just use a simple FolderSync app to bring any changes in. I'll move my email from POP to IMAP and all should be good.