PDA

View Full Version : How can I make this old Power Mac G4 better for gaming?

sparklegrass
Jul 23, 2011, 12:07 PM
:apple:
How can I make this old Power Mac G4 better for gaming, nothing major like WOW but games like Runescape or Facebook games?

Model Name: Power Mac G4
Model Identifier: PowerMac3,6
Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
Processor Speed: 1.25 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 1
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.4.8f

brycemason
Jul 23, 2011, 12:18 PM
You really can't. FB games need a browser that's optimized for the processor architecture in the system, and nobody's making browsers that take advantage of the PPC anymore. You can try TenFourFox, which is doing yeoman's work, but I doubt you will get a very good experience in FB games.

TA031
Jul 23, 2011, 05:40 PM
How can I make this old Power Mac G4 better for gaming, nothing major like WOW but games like Runescape or Facebook games?

Sell it and buy something less than 5 years old.

zen.state
Jul 23, 2011, 06:55 PM

Model Name: Power Mac G4
Model Identifier: PowerMac3,6
Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
Processor Speed: 1.25 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 1
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.4.8f

To actually answer your question you could buy a dual CPU for your tower for under 100 and upgrade the video.

What video card do you currently have?

adcx64
Jul 23, 2011, 07:50 PM
After doing what Zen recommended, I suggest you upgrade to a G4 build of Camino, that is IMO the best browser for the G4 Macs. You should get fairly decent performance on those FB games with this setup.

G4 Camino:

http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk/builds/camino/

Use the 7450 build for your processor.

VanneDC
Jul 23, 2011, 08:32 PM
mate if runescape is your audience, then forget it!

i play myself everynow and then and even on my G5 DC tower, its unplayable in terms of frame rates. Sure it will load up, but its not playable on PPC at this stage. not only that, but i saw the update yesterday that will soon make it impossible to play on ppc anyhows.

hope that did not ruin your day :)