Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
I was wondering for people that have 20 inch monitors, do you actually use the extra space. I don't know if I should get a 17 inch or a 20 inch monitor, and then save the extra money for a Powermac. I use my computer mostly for video editing, Internet, school, and sometimes a little Photoshop. I don't know how much the extra space will benefit me?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Get the 20". I couldn't imagine using a 17" monitor now.

Palettes litter my workspace like confetti...

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Of course, if you add a 17-inch monitor to your powerbook, thats a LOT of extra pixels. You could use your PB monitor just for palettes, then the 17-incher could be your main workspace. I agree with blue velvet, though, a 17-incher as the sole monitor for a stand-alone desktop is the bare minimum.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
A 20" really sets you apart, and if we're totally honest buying the 17" will just cause years of "I wonder what it would be like upgrading...". Plus think of the DVD's you can watch on it.

You know you want to.

AppleMatt

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Have a 17" at college, and a 19" at home. I like them both (I like the 19" better, of course), but then again they both have the same number of pixels, so ignore me. :p

Whigga Spitta

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2004
Can you say Chi-City??
how easy is it to switch between THREE monitors (on my Powerbook)? off topic I know, but I would like to get a 20-inch Dell to go alongside my Powerbook. I also would like to have my computer hooked up to my TV once in awhile to show off/ check up on FCP projects. I don't have the capabilities to test this now, but how easy would it be to switch between the two (TV and Dell monitor) using the Displays menu?

jscheiman

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2005
Phoenix, Arizona
Raven VII said:
I like the 19" better, of course, but then again they both have the same number of pixels, so ignore me. :p

This is surely another thing to look at as well. If you're only going to be using one monitor to do all your work on, the bigger the better. As Raven said as well, you might gain 2" in screen size but you will not get any additional pixel resolution.

If you step into a 20", not only do you get an extra 1-3" over a 17 or 19, you also got from a pixel resolution of 1600x1200 up from 1280x1024.

I too work heavily in Adobe programs and know how many menu windows you can have open, so to the less I have to hunt and pick for the tools or artwork, the better.

Now, if your going to use you PB monitor as a dual monitor setup, I'd stay smaller as you could designate one monitor for all your menus and the other for your canvas windows. You'll save a few bucks as well!

I just bought a 20" as it is very hard for me to go home from a 21" to a 15" PB. Plus I wanted all the space I could get to use for my applications. Not to mention watching DVD's!

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Whigga Spitta said:
how easy is it to switch between THREE monitors (on my Powerbook)? off topic I know, but I would like to get a 20-inch Dell to go alongside my Powerbook. I also would like to have my computer hooked up to my TV once in awhile to show off/ check up on FCP projects. I don't have the capabilities to test this now, but how easy would it be to switch between the two (TV and Dell monitor) using the Displays menu?

Plug and Play.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I have a 23" cinema display at work, and when I come home to my 19" CRT, I'm constantly wishing I had disposable income enough to buy a new huge monitor. I would definitely use and want the real estate at home..

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
iGary said:
I work on a 17" at work and go home to the 20" and it's a relief.

I wish I had 23" many times when doing photo work.

Like iGary, It doesn't matter what you've got you'll always want an extra 3"!

Story of my life. :D

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Not just space but..

Just a small point;
Of course extra space is very great, but ALSO, shove a DVD in, and you'll be loving the extra inches!
Just a small left-field kinda point, but the Apple 30" has a FAR greater resolution than any 40"+ LCD or Plasma TV!
Saw a 2x 30" Apple setup in the Store - all I can say was WOW! Wish I had a spare 10 grand!

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Heck yes, dawg! Go for the big-'un!

Seriously, I have a 17" CRT and cry tears of envy over my partner's 21". Think of your monitor as virtual desk space - the more you have, the easier it is to install shelving and cool desk organizers, and spread out your projects & stuff. Everything that needs editing tools (Photoshop, Illustrator, Peak, Logic Express) will have that extra room to spread out so you can actually *see* your project and keep your tools and swatches to the side.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Absolutely. In my case, I went from a 20" 1600x1200 Sony LCD to a 23" 1920x1200 Sony LCD... that extra strip of pixels (320x1200) makes a HUGE difference, especially when working on web pages, images, or in Flash. And big LCDs are really coming down in price now... the Dell 24" LCD appears to be a sweet deal.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
macbaseball said:
I was wondering for people that have 20 inch monitors, do you actually use the extra space. I don't know if I should get a 17 inch or a 20 inch monitor, and then save the extra money for a Powermac. I use my computer mostly for video editing, Internet, school, and sometimes a little Photoshop. I don't know how much the extra space will benefit me?

Hahaha, sorry to laugh, but I got a 24" lcd and I don't know how I would get along without it now. Your best bet is to buy the largest monitor you can comfortably afford and that you're happy sitting in front of.

As for video editing...just having that extra width for the time line makes it worth it. And working with photoshop files, the extra size helps in organizing the palettes without them getting in the way of your images (most of the time).

D

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Question....

What about two 17" monitors? I use my PowerBook's 12" and an external 15" (both 1024x768) its GREAT!

You might want to look into dual 17" monitors. Just make sure to have a 128MB video card-- 64MB per screen.

Of course, you could get computer+screen now, and then add the second screen later. Like RAM. But not quite.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
That's a pretty good idea. The only problem is I lack desk space. I eventually want to use this monitor with a Powermac, so I don't think it would be a problem. I might get a LCD and a CRT and just keep the CRT on cart or table, and just use it for graphic editing (Photos +Video). By the time I get done doing all that, I might as well have a 20 inch.

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
oaklandbum said:
I think the best deal at the moment for a 20" is the Dell 2005FPW at $749. It's got the same resolution as the Apple 20" Cinema Display, but it's $240 cheaper.
And can almost always be gotten for <$500US. I just got a refurb for $$496.21 shipped including the high California sales tax and $8.00 recycling fee. You can frequently find this monitor brand new for $476+shipping and tax using coupon codes. Check out http://dealmac.com. It's nowhere near as beautiful an enclosure as the apple, and it doesn't have firewire, but it's a big, bright, crisp panel.

But I still can't wait till I have enough saved up to get the Apple 23". I want that firewire hub and the integrated cords.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
oaklandbum said:
I think the best deal at the moment for a 20" is the Dell 2005FPW at $749. It's got the same resolution as the Apple 20" Cinema Display, but it's $240 cheaper.

Depending on what wants to be spent, the above Dell and the 2001FP and 2405FPW monitors would be on my list too. I bought a 2001FP for something like $550 at Christmas, the 2005FPW was the same price. Glad I went with the 2001 though. Really like the extra pixel heighth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.