Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qwerf123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
UK
I've ordered the new MBA ultimate but recently looked at the new Vaio Z Series and I am starting to consider whether I am making the right decision picking the MBA.

This would also be my first Mac, so is there many things I can do on Windows which I can't do on Mac OS X?

I presume other people looked at Z series as option to the MBA and can those who did, share why they felt the MBA was better

Thanks

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
If you end up not liking OSX, then just install Windows. I think that is a significant benefit of these systems for "Switchers." They hardware, design, and durability really is tough (if possible...) to beat.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Short answer is Mac OSX is superior to Windows in many respects. OSX is simply more functional, from the mundane (OSX comes with a PDF creator built-in, address book, calendar, mail client are superb) to the advanced technical (you can enter Terminal mode and enter line-item commands just like a UNIX server).

Plus OSX doesn't have the garbage registry that plagues Windows. I've got Windows 7 on my Apple desktop, and much, much prefer Apple OSX, it simply is better at nearly everything. The business next to us are network administrators and do a lot of troubleshooting for PC and Windows clients. What computers to their techs use? Macbook Airs and Pros -- they regularly tell me Windows is inferior, OSX is superior and much more solid with minimal downtime. Offices that run on Apple machines have many fewer problems than PC shops, esp. with garbage like Citrix running on top of the Windows OS.

Finally, the pairing between Mac OSX and the Apple machine is top notch. Sony VAIOs have had problems, the line is not as good as it used to be imo.

Bottom line, for a thin and light laptop, the Macbook Airs are the best on the market and well worth the premium.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.