PDA

View Full Version : Any 2010 13" MBA owners not upgrading?




Velin
Jul 23, 2011, 02:19 PM
Own a maxed 2010 13" MBA, it's been a flawless machine. Don't know if it's worth the trouble to upgrade to the latest MBAs. A backlit keyboard is nice, but I'm wondering if it makes sense to move up from a perfectly capable 2010 machine that works great and is arguably the best laptop I've ever owned.

Another issue is the sprinkling of issues with these new MBAs, including this LG v. Samsung screen, instant-on seems to be not-so-instant when resuming from Lion, and some other things.

Anyone waiting until Lion SP1 is released to make a decision, or make the jump to a new MBA 13"?



DustinT
Jul 23, 2011, 02:21 PM
Considering the significant increase in performance this new model has, I'd sell my MBA and buy a new one. The issues you mentioned are all software issues and have more to do with Lion than the hardware.

Lord Appleseed
Jul 23, 2011, 02:24 PM
I was recently struggling with the same idea. But I made up my mind and put my 2010 MBA up for sale.
I am sure you wont regret upgrading.

sebbo90
Jul 23, 2011, 02:30 PM
I contemplated this too, but as I dont do that many cpu intensive tasks and mainly just a bit of gaming, think I'm going to hold off and get nexts years ivy bridge model with increase in graphics.

marzxbarz
Jul 23, 2011, 02:31 PM
I decided to list my MBA on craigslist and see if there are any takers. I've gotten over the temptation to buy (new) first, sell (old) after. Besides, the longer I wait, the sooner Amazon will get some in so I can avoid the tax :)

major7
Jul 23, 2011, 02:33 PM
The thought came to mind but i'll pass! Its just a (major) CPU upgrade and i dont need it. If i could go back to June and sell it for a better price i would consider...but now i dont think its reasonable to sell it anymore....whats the price of our mac now? the new one is even cheaper!

Maybe next year ;)

calvol
Jul 23, 2011, 02:38 PM
I'll pass on the thermal/battery-life Sandy Bridge issues and numerous problems with Lion, and stay with my 2010MBA/SL.

OnEMoReTrY
Jul 23, 2011, 03:15 PM
Going to keep my 2010. I have a desktop that I built with a i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz, 5850, and 8GB ram that I spend most of my time on. I use my laptop as a media center during the summers (runs 1080p fine) and a note taking/programming/database hub when I'm at school and the increased CPU speed doesn't mean much to me as the resolution and other specs are the same.

I really just use it to get by while I'm at school until I can get home to my desktop and it's been doing a fantastic job at that.

Zackmd1
Jul 23, 2011, 03:22 PM
I contemplated this too, but as I dont do that many cpu intensive tasks and mainly just a bit of gaming, think I'm going to hold off and get nexts years ivy bridge model with increase in graphics.

This is exactly what I am going to do. Why take a hit in graphics if in a year I can get both a cpu and a gpu upgrade for the same price.

JHUFrank
Jul 23, 2011, 03:34 PM
Totally happy with my 2010 13" MBA and no plans to get the 2011. Upgrading to Lion is still a possibility, especially after the they release 10.7.1, LOL. I will be waiting for the next version of the Air.

clyde2801
Jul 23, 2011, 03:35 PM
Eh, unless you're wanting to try a different size, or you're doing processor intensive work with it on a regular basis, you probably won't tell a difference doing lightweight consumer tasks.

Seeker128
Jul 23, 2011, 03:42 PM
I would love to trade up. I need the backlit keyboard and improved performance for a project that requires me to work outside at night. Don't know if I'll be able to justify the price difference though.

MacJones
Jul 23, 2011, 03:46 PM
My 2010 13" Ultimate fits all of my needs and I just got it a few months ago so I won't be trading up.

philxor
Jul 23, 2011, 05:46 PM
I've had my 2010 13" for about 7 months now, no way I'm going to take a hit and sell it to get the latest and greatest. I definitely don't need a backlit keyboard and this gen works fine for everything I use it for. Heck I used a Gen 1 Macbook Pro (Core Duo) for almost 5 years before buying this MBA, I plan on keeping it for at least a couple of years.

rkahl
Jul 23, 2011, 05:49 PM
I'm getting rid of my 2010 13" Ultimate for the 2011 Ultimate. If they can double the performance in 8 months I'm gonna sell while I still can.

KPOM
Jul 23, 2011, 05:57 PM
To answer the title of this thread, I'd guess that most owners of 13" 2010 MacBook Airs will not be upgrading. It tends to be people who write on tech sites and rumor message boards who upgrade every year. :D

neteng101
Jul 23, 2011, 06:11 PM
Waiting for Ivy and hoping for the HD camera and USB 3.0 plus a better than HD3000 Intel GPU. The main thing for me that sucks is that Apple didn't give us backlit keyboards from the get go last year. :(

liudekhua
Jul 23, 2011, 06:25 PM
have a 2010 13" ulti here.

tempted to upgrade? yes. with i5/i7 and hd3000 doesn't look that bad.

practical to upgrade? no. it's my main computer and does everything i want. doubt i will notice a difference with the 2011.

i have however, upgraded to lion. regretted upgrading so soon. my 3rd party ethernet adapter does not work now and i have to use crappy wifi with bluetooth.

jayo123456
Jul 23, 2011, 06:45 PM
it all comes down to how much of a $$$ loss your willing to accept, in exchange for the speed bump and new features.

It's not easy to sell a 2010 MBA for a decent amount now. Around my area the 13" MBA ultimate, which was over $2000 retail, is being listed for $1000, and they're not moving them.

Personally, I wouldn't take a $1000 loss to upgrade to a 2011. A total redesign yes, but for a speed bump no.

I am upgrading though, but because my loss is much smaller than that, almost negliable. I'm going from a 13" c2d 2gb, to a 2011 13" i5 4gb, $$$ loss? $250.

semitry
Jul 23, 2011, 06:52 PM
I traded up, mostly for the 256gb drive I didn't originally get. The 500 i saved from not maxing out my 13 originally I maxed out this time. Cost about 700 to upgrade. Can't say I notice a difference save Lion. However it was worth it for the extra space now I can install windows 7.

treynolds
Jul 23, 2011, 07:18 PM
and I have no intention of upgrading for 1-2 years.

The 2010 does everything I need it to do and then some. I *may* upgrade to Lion, but am still trying to determine if even that is worth it. My system is fairly stable and works well.

I like to skip generations when upgrading electronics.

Tony

Samsumac
Jul 23, 2011, 07:44 PM
Upgrade when you really need to. I have a santa rosa mb pro pushing about 5 years now and the new AIR seems like a welcome to the jet age change. I too will skip the next generation if that will help you make a decision.

DeusInvictus7
Jul 23, 2011, 10:03 PM
I have the 13" Ultimate, and I actually just ordered a semi-ultimate 11" (faster processor, but not the bigger drive) to replace it.

I placed my current computer on local sales sites when the new models came out, just to see if anyone would take it. I figured, if someone responded, then I'll do it, but if no one did, then that's fine too. But the idea of the 11" really intrigued me so I am pretty happy a few people have expressed interest.

The only "problem" with the 13" in my opinion is that the footprint of the computer is still as big as any other 13" computer, and with me going back to University, I'll appreciate the extra desk space with the smaller laptop. And since I have an iMac as my main workhorse, I don't need to go all out like I did when I first got the 2010 model.