Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainman7

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Hi everyone, newbie here. The new MacBook Air just came out and I'm thinking about switching from my old windows machine. I have several concerns and hopefully someone will be able to give me some advise base on their experience.
I need to run several softwares in windows and I know there are a couple ways to do it, the MBA high end model only comes in 256GB flash storage, if I create a partition using bootcamp to run windows, how much storage would I have left for the Mac? Another way is run a VM like parallels, would the i5 processor be able to handle it, is it going to slow down performance significantly? The guy at the Apple store recommend me getting the MPB, because of the better performance even at the lower end model, it's also cheaper and I can get more student discount, but I would like to hear some second opinion on the MBA before I make a decision. Any ideas are appreciated, thanks in advance

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I don't know about bootcamp, but I've been running windows7 on last year's MBA (the maxed out model) in VMWare Fusion, and it runs beautifully. I haven't noticed any slow downs, and my MBA is a core2 duo machine. I'm sure that the i5 would handle vm quite well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.