PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 Battery Problem:(

JackT06
Jul 23, 2011, 04:03 PM
Hello,

Awhile, ago i put a post up about my iBook G4 not working, due to the little gears just kept spinning on startup, so i have now fixed that, whohohoho!:D

So, it's been about a year since my iBook has worked properly, and now i'm having trouble with my battery.

The iBook seems to be turning off, after only using 25% of the battery. This means the battery has 75% still left. Also, it's giving me no warning that it's going too turn off it just does.

I looked at Calibrating the battery, but i don't think i can do that as the iBook is not actually using all the battery life.

Any suggestions?(:

max••
Jul 23, 2011, 04:27 PM
just calibrate it anyway, and can you run coconut battery on it and see what condition the battery is in

JackT06
Jul 23, 2011, 04:39 PM
just calibrate it anyway, and can you run coconut battery on it and see what condition the battery is in

I have done allready, i keep killing the battery, charging it up, and then using it up.

I ran coconut, and got these results...

max••
Jul 23, 2011, 04:41 PM
looks like you might just have a dead battery, i would just replace it

Nameci
Jul 23, 2011, 04:50 PM
Yes your batts almost dead, it can only hold about 50% if its cap.

JackT06
Jul 23, 2011, 04:55 PM
Ah, okay, cheers guys.

Does anyone know a good place to buy a decent/cheap battery?

Nameci
Jul 23, 2011, 05:06 PM
You can search the bay or http://www.macsales.com

4JNA
Jul 23, 2011, 07:44 PM
my two cents after supporting 100's of ibooks over lots of years.

i've had several batteries with the same symptoms after long periods of sitting on a shelf out of a system.

50% chance that a cell is dead, the battery will no longer function, recycle and replace is the only fix.

50% chance that the cal/recal sequence will need to be run 10-15 times to get the battery back to a happy place.

it's been about 1 out of 2 that would actually start to work again after several (lots) of drain/charge cycles. make sure you go to 'system preferences>energy saver' and click the battery tab and set both the screen and sleep to 'never' so the thing won't try to save it self when draining the battery. i had one that got to zero percent remaining, and then ran for another 1.5 hours while playing a movie...

if it works after lots of cycles or you replace the battery, remember to change the 'energy saver' settings back! best of luck.