PDA

View Full Version : Post Your Screen And Results - Official Proof Thread

ghsNick
Jul 23, 2011, 05:06 PM
Everyone post their results/screen model in this thread, here's mine.

I have 11" i5 128GB MBA.

Samsung SSD and LG Display.

So be honest when you post...and maybe we can see if there's a large difference between Samsung and LG Displays.

I'll update the thread with the results.

I'm grabbing the original image here (http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/75285375/original). So save the image on the left. And post your reply highlighting what you see the same as your reply.

Tokay
Jul 23, 2011, 05:17 PM
Are you sure this picture is usable?

On my U2711 (high gamut monitor), the colors canīt be differentiated any better than what you have already marked.
Checking the RGB values in Pixelmator also confirms that the RGB values themselves are in fact identical on the last portions where the color looks identical.

EDIT: After image update, it now looks like it should. :)

Beanoir
Jul 23, 2011, 05:19 PM
Ok, well i'll give me results...although I don't really think these kind of tests are fair as we all have different eyesight so should compare the 2 screens for ourselves. But, i'll entertain the idea.

HiRez
Jul 23, 2011, 05:21 PM
Are you sure this picture is usable?

On my U2711 (high gamut monitor), the colors canīt be differentiated any better than what you have already marked.
Checking the RGB values in Pixelmator also confirms that the RGB values themselves are in fact identical on the last portions where the color looks identical.

Correct, the image given is not valid. Digital Color Meter (/Applications/Utilities) shows the same.

ghsNick
Jul 23, 2011, 05:30 PM
Edit - I just updated the images.

Save the first image. And post your reply highlighting what looks the same.

I've tested this on two computers and what I'm highlighting as looking the same on my MBA...I can see the difference in color on my iMac.

So this works.

h00ligan
Jul 23, 2011, 05:34 PM
You want to print screen to check color range?

heh. Have at it.

duffyanneal
Jul 23, 2011, 05:37 PM
13" MBA i5 w/Samsung display

Looks good to me.

ghsNick
Jul 23, 2011, 05:39 PM
LOL, you want to print screen to check color range?

heh. Have at it.
That's why I selected what looks the same from the original image.

If you look at the original image and select what looks different/the same in black (like I did) everyone else will be able to see how the screens differ from the original image.

Not rocket science.

nebulos
Jul 23, 2011, 05:46 PM
EDIT: your thumbnail wasn't coming up at first. nevermind.

for what it's worth, i can just barely differentiate all boxes on my old Thinkpad X61T. the first two reds are almost identical.

ghsNick
Jul 23, 2011, 05:51 PM
EDIT: your thumbnail wasn't coming up at first. nevermind.

for what it's worth, i can differentiate all but the last two boxes in each row on my old Thinkpad X61T.

It's funny. When I look at the thumbnail image on my Air I can see all 8 boxes. But when I click on it (and it enlarges to the original size) what I selected and highlighted looks the same.

nebulos
Jul 23, 2011, 05:57 PM
It's funny. When I look at the thumbnail image on my Air I can see all 8 boxes. But when I click on it (and it enlarges to the original size) what I selected and highlighted looks the same.

i wondered about this myself. it's possible that as the thumbnail was probably compressed from the original, the colors were quantized/approximated slightly.

either way, i can still make out almost all boxes (on the original too).

bp1000
Jul 23, 2011, 06:00 PM

I'm the same

The thumbnail in the post i can see all 8 blocks for each colour

Then when i enlarge it the last ones blend

LG

OSMac
Jul 23, 2011, 06:51 PM
If you guys are going to post my test image without asking, at least get it right !

ApplePu
Jul 23, 2011, 06:57 PM
I'm not too sure if this comparison will get accurate results, but I'll play the game :roll eyes:

Panel: LP133WP1-TJA3

ghsNick
Jul 23, 2011, 07:17 PM
i wondered about this myself. it's possible that as the thumbnail was probably compressed from the original, the colors were quantized/approximated slightly.

either way, i can still make out almost all boxes (on the original too).

Which screen do you have?

I would really like to see what the Samsung results are...can anyone with an 11" Samsun screen post results here?

eeptman
Jul 23, 2011, 07:41 PM
Mine: 13" i7 - SM256C + LTH133BT01A03
The last 3 bits of Red and Green are same.

clyde2801
Jul 23, 2011, 07:48 PM

Same with my i7 13" samsung. Exactly the same. Thanks for posting and saving me the trouble.

BTW, I'm getting a lot better contrast on the other side of the extended image than my LG.

nebulos
Jul 23, 2011, 07:51 PM
Which screen do you have?

I would really like to see what the Samsung results are...can anyone with an 11" Samsun screen post results here?

well, like i said, i'm not on an Air. i'm on an old Thinkpad. i was just posting, fyi.

ghsNick
Jul 23, 2011, 07:58 PM

Well thanks for that post. I'm gonna be fine with mine.
If the Samsung's were perfect I'd switch...but seeing as they're a little better I'll settle with mine.

OSMac
Jul 23, 2011, 08:02 PM
So there it is the Samsung 13s are similar,
with the right profile probably would be hard to tell the screens apart?

I'm using my Dell Mini 9 now,
it actually shows the full gradient of all colors, and cost me $150 :)

nebulos
Jul 23, 2011, 08:11 PM
... calibration has a place in all this too of course.

IngerMan
Jul 23, 2011, 08:12 PM
I have the 2010 Samsung display and the last 3 red and green are a wash

h00ligan
Jul 23, 2011, 08:18 PM
if you guys are going to post my test image without asking, at least get it right !

lol!

That's why I selected what looks the same from the original image.

If you look at the original image and select what looks different/the same in black (like I did) everyone else will be able to see how the screens differ from the original image.

Not rocket science.

How is someone posting a screen shot and saying they have xyz result proof?

ghsNick
Jul 23, 2011, 08:53 PM
I have the 2010 Samsung display and the last 3 red and green are a wash

You don't need to repost the image unless you edit and mark what you can see so we can see it. That image looks the same for everyone...but by marking it off like I did, we'll be able to fully understand what you're talking about.

theSeb
Jul 23, 2011, 09:28 PM
I can confirm that all of the blocks in each row look different on my iPad. :D

I'll check the MBA tomorrow.

revelated
Jul 23, 2011, 10:07 PM
I don't get what we're doing here. And the OP is not clear about the intent.

Are you saying, "look at the image. Highlight sections of each color spectrum where there appear to be no differences in color temperature, i.e. that blend too well"?

HiRez
Jul 23, 2011, 10:08 PM
Nope, you've still got a bad image. The RGB values for the first two red chips (on the right) are the exact same value. Same for the first four green chips, and the first two blue chips are only 1 unit off, which in most cases is not human-perceptible. In other words, those chips will always look the same (and appear clipped) no matter what display you view them on, because they are the same.

Try this image:

In this image, I can clearly distinguish every chip for each of the R, G, and B scales (13" 2011 Air with Samsung display). I have my display calibrated using a Spyder 3 Elite calibrator. The display looks pretty good calibrated, but I find the reds on this panel a bit weak, they look a bit "peach-ish" instead of deep, solid red. But not bad.

ghsNick
Jul 24, 2011, 12:17 AM
Are you saying, "look at the image. Highlight sections of each color spectrum where there appear to be no differences in color temperature, i.e. that blend too well"?

Exactly.

Because people are saying the Samsung's are better on this test.

I can see the entire spectrum on my iMac...but what I have highlighted all look the same on my Air.

Alaerian
Jul 24, 2011, 12:21 AM
Nope, you've still got a bad image. The RGB values for the first two red chips (on the right) are the exact same value. Same for the first four green chips, and the first two blue chips are only 1 unit off, which in most cases is not human-perceptible. In other words, those chips will always look the same (and appear clipped) no matter what display you view them on, because they are the same.
OP, did you not read this?

You're using a terrible image.

ghsNick
Jul 24, 2011, 12:38 AM
OP, did you not read this?

You're using a terrible image.

Did you go to the official link provided then?
And they aren't the same...I went on my iMac and EVERY box looks different in color. But on the Air they look the same...so there's no way the image I'm using is flawed.

Alaerian
Jul 24, 2011, 12:39 AM
You THINK they look different. It's an optical illusion. Have you actually checked the RGB values as HiRez did?

ghsNick
Jul 24, 2011, 12:41 AM
You THINK they look different. It's an optical illusion. Have you actually checked the RGB values as HiRez did?

Well everyone posted that image from another site in another thread and people "claimed" with their Samsung's they saw a difference.

I don't really care anymore, I was just trying to help.

revelated
Jul 24, 2011, 01:02 AM

Try this image:

In this image, I can clearly distinguish every chip for each of the R, G, and B scales (13" 2011 Air with Samsung display). I have my display calibrated using a Spyder 3 Elite calibrator. The display looks pretty good calibrated, but I find the reds on this panel a bit weak, they look a bit "peach-ish" instead of deep, solid red. But not bad.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the OP's image...now that I understand what he's trying to do.

If you go to this link:

http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/75285375/original

On any computer, the image looks normal. You see the full spectrum on each color band. However...if I download that image to my computer, and render it directly in Preview, there IS a difference between the image on the 17" MacBook Pro and that of the MacBook Air.

On the Air, using the Red band as an example, the far right three appear to be one rather than three distinct shades. A quick sample in Photoshop shows that they do have different values: the far right is 254, one to the left is 248, to the left of that is 240. So they are different, though not by much. On the Pro, and on my iMac which i'm using for the Photoshop sampling, I can easily make out these shades. On both the 2010 and 2011 Air I cannot.

Now this obviously has more to do with the quality of the display used on the Air vs. the iMac and the Pro, rather than the manufacturing. I don't think LG/Samsung makes any difference here. I think there's just more colors supported on the higher resolution screens is all. If I had to guess, every MacBook Air owner would see this blending effect, and it's just a symptom of the fact that the Air's screens have always paled in general comparison to the main machines. Maybe more pixels than the 13", but the quality certainly is not superior.

jackyyeow
Jul 24, 2011, 01:04 AM
Reports on first page suggested SM and LG are on par on "problems" with the clipping.

And I've read SM panels have problem with the other side of the spectrum, they're problem free on my LG panel and I can see all the 2nd darkest bar before the last one which is black on all colors.

HiRez
Jul 24, 2011, 01:35 AM
OK, I think I finally figured out what's happening here...kind of anyway. It seems there's some browser rendering issue with Lion Safari. When I view the images in Safari on my Air (2011 13" Samsung display), I see clipped chips. But, when I view the same images in Google Chrome, on the same Air, I see all the chips. My best guess is it's a ColorSync thing, probably the images have a ColorSync profile, which Safari is honoring or interpreting, while Chrome is ignoring ColorSync. And because I was using Digital Color Meter to measure with, it was showing me whatever Safari was rendering in terms of RGB numeric values.

So try viewing these files in Chrome or maybe Firefox and see if you can see all the chips. I don't think it's an Air hardware problem, I think it's a Safari issue (whether it's strictly a "problem" or not I don't know yet, maybe it's a bad ColorSync profile attached to the image).

bill-p
Jul 24, 2011, 02:27 AM
OK, I think I finally figured out what's happening here...kind of anyway. It seems there's some browser rendering issue with Lion Safari. When I view the images in Safari on my Air (2011 13" Samsung display), I see clipped chips. But, when I view the same images in Google Chrome, on the same Air, I see all the chips. My best guess is it's a ColorSync thing, probably the images have a ColorSync profile, which Safari is honoring or interpreting, while Chrome is ignoring ColorSync. And because I was using Digital Color Meter to measure with, it was showing me whatever Safari was rendering in terms of RGB numeric values.

So try viewing these files in Chrome or maybe Firefox and see if you can see all the chips. I don't think it's an Air hardware problem, I think it's a Safari issue (whether it's strictly a "problem" or not I don't know yet, maybe it's a bad ColorSync profile attached to the image).

I can confirm this.

Safari on Lion clips the last three shades of both red and green on my 2010 MBA 13", but on Chrome and Firefox, I can clearly see all of those shades.

Preview on Lion also clips the image the same way, so does Photoshop CS5. I have actually tried to replicate similar shades on Photoshop CS5 on a blank canvas and they are all visible.

Also to note, the shades created in CS5 actually show up fine under both Preview and Safari, so it might be something to do with that particular image.

eeptman
Jul 24, 2011, 04:05 AM

Confirm+1
I can tell the whole spectrum in Chrome.

bp1000
Jul 24, 2011, 05:55 AM
Can see it all in chrome too - LG panel.

I can see the other one posted too

As i said previously in this thread or another thread, we are making assumtions about what is better. And yet most of us, if we are honest don't understand or have the knowledge to detect the real differences and then apply them to real world situations. Then to top it off our eyes are different and we percieve things differently, 1 persons idea of a nice bright screen might be too much for another, that goes for colour and saturation.

I do a lot of photo work and all i can say is the colour accuracy and contrast on this panel is awesome and my photos are looking better on the air than many other computers.

jackyyeow
Jul 24, 2011, 06:15 AM
LOL! Opening the page in Firefox, can see all the color blocks fine. Blame Safari!!!:eek::D

Typswif2fingers
Jul 24, 2011, 06:34 AM
LOL! Opening the page in Firefox, can see all the color blocks fine. Blame Safari!!!:eek::D

Same in Chrome.

(EDIT: Although, others have concluded this way before I did... )

pinktank
Jul 24, 2011, 06:52 AM
Firefox doesn't have a good CMM, neither does chrome, don't use those for judgment. Opening in preview/photoshop/safari is best

OSMac
Jul 24, 2011, 07:14 AM
The Air's display LG or Samsung is not the source of the clipping problem,
as shown by viewing in Chrome vs Safari.

Safari is not 'the problem' as it displays the image the same as iPhoto, preview,Photoshop etc.
Safari is in fact a color managed browser where Chrome is not.

The original RGB scale image if downloaded and info is checked via info in OSX shows
it is tagged with a sRGB color profile, the web standard.
http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/75285375/original

Safari uses the color tag and Chrome does not.

To read more about this (maybe too much)...
http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html

and Safari related...
http://www.gballard.net/photoshop/srgb_wide_gamut.html

Could someone well versed in Color Management summarize
why the red and greens in the test image end up clipped in Safari
on the Air and not on a Macbook Pro?

Would a 'better' monitor profile than the Apple provided Air default change that in Safari?

It seems for the average user it might be better just to turn color management off in OSX?

macbook123
Jul 24, 2011, 08:26 AM
Can somebody please explain how they make the association between the LTH and LP codes with Samsung and LG, respectively?

I remember with the late 2010 Airs people were usually talking about two different sorts of numbers that come up when looking in system preferences under displays and then going to item #17. The discussion back then was between 9CF0 and 9CDF. Now my new display is an LP one, and also 9CDF.

Is it true that 9CDF=LP=LG and 9CF0=LTH=Samsung?

I remember clearly that the *rumor* at the time was that 9CDF was superior to 9CF0. With the current generation it appears to be the other way around.

OSMac
Jul 24, 2011, 08:52 AM
Can somebody please explain how they make the association between the LTH and LP codes with Samsung and LG, respectively?

It came from another thread..
To identify your display
open terminal , paste
ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

LP = LG Phillips
LTH = Samsung

macbook123
Jul 24, 2011, 09:22 AM
It came from another thread..
To identify your display
open terminal , paste
ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

LP = LG Phillips
LTH = Samsung

Right, but I wanted to know HOW they know the above are true associations.

Also, isn't it bizarre that with the late 2010 Macbook Airs, there was some consensus that the LTH displays were inferior to the LP ones!!??

jackyyeow
Jul 24, 2011, 09:31 AM
Weird, I got to FireFox again and look at the image and now they look clipped again.:confused:

Seriously I don't care, I'm not photographer so I'm happy with what I have.:apple:

Oppressed
Jul 24, 2011, 10:39 AM
Those of you with both a MBA and color calibration hardware could you post your color profiles please?

OSMac
Jul 24, 2011, 11:08 AM
On my desktop I use a HDTV monitor with the sRGB profile
and Chrome and Safari images match.

Switching to the sRGB profile on the Air does not help with the clipping.

MAybe all that is needed is a correct sRGB profile for the Air,
effectively to eliminate the Air profile being used?

Then Chrome, iPhoto, PHotoshop, and Safari would all display the same image...

docgerrard
Jul 24, 2011, 11:16 AM
I am literally using a 6 year old laptop and i can differentiate between all of them. The screen itself is thicker than the entire MBA and I can see all of the colors clearly.

Is this really a problem with a top of the line device in 2011?

OSMac
Jul 24, 2011, 11:50 AM
CASE CLOSED:
Attached is a crop of the same image with all color management data removed by pngcrush.

Just like magic now it views the same in Safari and Chrome...

So it's not an issue with the display.
It's just how the Air's color profile is handling sRGB images.

Maybe that could be improved or maybe it was done to optimize how skin tones etc look in sRGB images.

I'll leave that to a Color pro to explain,
but it seems the LG displays do display the full color range
and others are reporting they have a greater max brightness too.

coolbreeze
Jul 24, 2011, 11:55 AM
Wow, this is getting so obsessive, it's ridiculous.

I can see all gradients with my LG. It's also a brighter panel.

I'll take LG all day long folks.

ghsNick
Jul 24, 2011, 02:10 PM
CASE CLOSED:
Attached is a crop of the same image with all color management data removed by pngcrush.

Maybe that could be improved or maybe it was done to optimize how skin tones etc look in sRGB images.

Wohoo! That now works on mine! Haha

revelated
Jul 24, 2011, 02:52 PM
CASE CLOSED:

I would be interested to see if you were able to do the same thing from the link he posted, with the super large image, to see if it does the same thing. I never had an issue with his attached images, only the one from that site.

As an aside, the question is why is the Lion/2011 Air's rendering coming out different than that of the Pro or the iMac? Why would Safari be set differently on two different types of Mac? Are they attempting to hide visual imperfections?

HiRez
Jul 25, 2011, 02:15 AM
I made a profile using the Spyder3 calibrator for my 13" MacBook Air with Samsung panel. Try this profile out if you have that setup. I keep the brightness 5 clicks (using the function key) down from full brightness, which is around 75%. Note that this profile isn't going to solve the "clipped" chip issue in Safari, but it could make your screen fairly neutral compared to the default profile (it won't be perfect as each screen with have some individual characteristics). The use it, unzip the file and put the profile into ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles (you only) or /Library/ColorSync/Profiles (all users), then select it in the Displays tab of System Preferences.

EDIT: I should note this calibration is 2.2 gamma, 6500K white point.

OSMac
Jul 25, 2011, 09:43 AM
Note that this profile isn't going to solve the "clipped" chip issue in Safari, but it could make your screen fairly neutral compared to the default profile

Why does a new profile not solve the clipping in the sRGB test image?

h00ligan
Jul 25, 2011, 10:28 AM
Because it has nothing to do with the monitor, as previously discussed.

OSMac
Jul 25, 2011, 12:33 PM
Because it has nothing to do with the monitor, as previously discussed.

A profile has everything to do with how the colors are displayed on the monitor that's what it's purpose is.

The Default profile provided with the air is creating the clipping, my question is...
when HiRez used a hardware device Spyder 3 to create a new profile why did the clipping still show?

HiRez
Jul 25, 2011, 04:58 PM
A profile has everything to do with how the colors are displayed on the monitor that's what it's purpose is.

The Default profile provided with the air is creating the clipping, my question is...
when HiRez used a hardware device Spyder 3 to create a new profile why did the clipping still show?

Well the monitor profile is only one piece of the puzzle, another is image files (like test charts) can have their own color profiles embedded, then you have the software which includes ColorSync at the system level (Lion), which interprets and renders the information through applications like Safari. So the interaction of all of these can be complex, to be honest I'm still not sure which piece of it is causing the Safari clipping issue. It's not the Air's display hardware, as it appears OK in non-color-managed applications like Chrome. It could be the monitor profile, it could be the image profile, or it could be a ColorSync/Lion bug that needs to be fixed. But since I'm not seeing the issue in Snow Leopard, using the same calibrator (but different display), I'm suspecting something Lion brought with it. If I have time, I'll try testing both the Air + Lion and iMac + Snow Leopard on the same external display.

OSMac
Jul 26, 2011, 05:19 AM
I would be interested to see if you were able to do the same thing from the link he posted, with the super large image, to see if it does the same thing. I never had an issue with his attached images, only the one from that site....

Attached is the full size test image with color data removed by ImageOptim.

It can be viewed in Preview, Safari, or Chrome without clipping.

jackyyeow
Jul 26, 2011, 07:15 AM
Attached is the full size test image with color data removed by ImageOptim.

It can be viewed in Preview, Safari, or Chrome without clipping.

Perfectly visible on ALL blocks from left to right, all colors. 13" 2010 LG. Thanks!

lyrrad721
Jul 29, 2011, 05:06 PM
Perfectly visible on ALL blocks from left to right, all colors. 13" 2010 LG. Thanks!

I can see all blocks too on my LG, does this mean that the screen doesn't need to be calibrated? I am not a professional photographer, but I do use CAD software.

jackyyeow
Aug 1, 2011, 06:03 AM
Ok, I've got a friend who has Samsung display on his i7 13" 2011. It was at his house though sadly I didn't bring my 2010 13" along for direct comparison, so take note the following observation is pretty much memory recall.

The first thing I check was the brightness of the screen. Contrary to many had described, I actually find the Samsung panel to be slightly brighter than my LG. I can get comfortable with only 5 bars from left, while similar brightness I need to crank 1 extra bars make it 6 on my LG. Maybe the room lighting is playing some trick but even then, they're pretty similar at the very least.

So next, the contrast and colors. Fired up the original link to the test image, all the high end colors on red/green clipped just like my LG 2010 13". Then, upon opening the "fixed" image, yes now everything is visible, just like my 2010 LG 13".

One thing I noticed is that, the lower end of the color blocks seems to be a little hard to see the difference, 1 bar below the 16 to be exact (value of 8). So I opened some greyscale comic scans that I read online recently, as well as loaded a video file that I always use as benchmark test for display. As a result, greyscale scans appeared to have more contrast, but I'd describe it as more "burned". I gotta admit, black on the Samsung indeed blacker, it's obvious albeit not a direct side by side comparison. You probably won't notice it if you don't have 2 to compare side by side or through experiences.

On the video benchmark test, the color seems a little more vibrant on the Samsung too, while on my LG the video appeared to be a little warm in color tone. Samsung, however, while remained vibrant on color, doesn't have the blue'ish tint like when I calibrated my LG display (no matter how many times I do it). If I turn the brightness all the way up, the darker part of the video (shadow etc) remained darker, while on the LG the darker part of the video will appear washed out.

I fired up the iTunes test as suggested by other MR members, yes, those bars with alternate colors indeed more consistent. But I went through the test a little deeper by tilting the screen to check the viewing angle. I discovered that the Samsung has more even backlight, and yes, it has better viewing angle than what I've experienced on my LG, sad but true. In comparison, LG has different backlight on the display, in a way that it exaggerate the light at the middle of the screen, about 40% area. So you'll see the top and bottom section of the screen is indeed different from the middle part of the screen, although not dramatically so, but the Samsung did better for sure in a way that the backlight seems to have a wider coverage maybe about 80% before the color/brightness change, so the backlight indeed appeared to be more even.

That's all of what I gathered. So all in all, Samsung panel on the 2011 is indeed better in almost every way. Sad but true. And he's got Samsung drive too! Lucky devil.:eek::D

If you want my opinion, yes, the LG is perfectly fine for what I want. I'm not photo/video editor, so I'm happy with it. If you want to exchange your unit for Samsung display, I suggest you not to, everything stated above are only relative differences, I can tell you they're only marginal. Maybe they're critical for professionals, but for average people LG is still a fine display.

PS: There're various threads about the SM vs LG debate, I'm lazy to post my results on all threads, neither I'm opening a new one just for my findings.

jackyyeow
Aug 1, 2011, 06:34 AM
I can see all blocks too on my LG, does this mean that the screen doesn't need to be calibrated? I am not a professional photographer, but I do use CAD software.
I don't know, I don't use any photo editing softwares.

Some ideas though, when we work with audio in recording studios, we deal with many different pairs of speakers as well as different room. Some of us will carry a CD that we know very well as a reference, so we can tell the difference of the speakers more easily.

You may want to use a color palette image or an image that you use it as a "benchmark" or reference.