PDA

View Full Version : Quad Boot MacBook Pro 7,1 with Lion, Snow Leopard, Ubuntu 11.04, and Windows 7

Nopstnz8
Jul 23, 2011, 06:53 PM
Ok so I have decided I want to quad boot my MacBook Pro, but have a few questions...

So I know I could just follow the Triple Boot procedure with rEFIt, but what I'm confused about is my situation. I currently have Snow Leopard as my main partition, Lion as a separate one, and Windows 7 through Bootcamp. I now want to install Ubuntu 11.04 on a separate 4th partition. I will have all partitions cloned beforehand as a failsafe method.

Ok so what I want to do with Mac OSX is continue to use my Snow Leopard partition as my main partition, Lion just to play around with until it's stable, then have Ubuntu and Windows 7 on separate partitions. I know EFI is really particular about this setup, based on the order you install the partitions, so in order for me to quad boot, do I need to wipe Bootcamp and Lion so I only have Snow Leopard, then partition the drive into 4 parts, install rEFIt on Snow Leopard, then install Lion, Bootcamp, then Ubuntu? What confuses me is how OSX affects this. Like do I need to install both OSX's then follow the triple boot procedure? Or can I just have my current setup of Snow Leopard, Lion, and Bootcamp, then follow the Ubuntu procedure from the Triple Boot guide?

When I plan to wipe Snow Leopard after I have migrated all my data over to Lion, how will this affect rEFIt? Since Snow Leopard is the startup disk, will it assume Lion is the new startup disk if I configure it to be through System Preferences? Or will I have to start my Triple boot over and reinstall Bootcamp and Ubuntu for rEFIt to work?

Basically, I'm trying to go from my current Triple Boot of OSX Snow Leopard, Lion, and Bootcamp, to a Quad Boot with Ubuntu added into the picture and rEFIt installed, then go back to a Triple Boot format after wiping Snow Leopard.

I hope this makes sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I really want to install Ubuntu natively.

Intell
Jul 23, 2011, 06:59 PM
I don't think Lion works with rEFI.

waynep
Jul 23, 2011, 07:07 PM
Would it not be simpler to run some Virtual Machines? :) With that many OS's, I would think you would always be rebooting to use one or the other.

Nopstnz8
Jul 23, 2011, 11:14 PM
Would it not be simpler to run some Virtual Machines? :) With that many OS's, I would think you would always be rebooting to use one or the other.

Yeah I know, and I have virtual machines, but I've been wanting Ubuntu native for a long time. I've been using Wubi, but it's not enough.

waynep
Jul 24, 2011, 08:39 AM
Yeah I know, and I have virtual machines, but I've been wanting Ubuntu native for a long time. I've been using Wubi, but it's not enough.

I don't think Wubi gives you VM performance. I would try VirtualBox running Ubuntu. I use VMware on my work laptop to run Ubuntu and it works fine. I did not want to pay for VMware on my Mac so I tried VirtualBox and it seems to work fine for free.

Nopstnz8
Jul 24, 2011, 09:14 AM
I don't think Wubi gives you VM performance. I would try VirtualBox running Ubuntu. I use VMware on my work laptop to run Ubuntu and it works fine. I did not want to pay for VMware on my Mac so I tried VirtualBox and it seems to work fine for free.

I used Ubuntu on virtual box, and all the others, but none of them compared to the performance of Wubi. Wubi was the closest to native that you could get. Period. I just want it native now.

Basically, should I just wait for rEFIt to be Lion compatible before I install Ubuntu natively?

Nopstnz8
Jul 25, 2011, 04:39 PM
Anyone else have answers?

Intell
Jul 25, 2011, 04:40 PM
Basically, should I just wait for rEFIt to be Lion compatible before I install Ubuntu natively?

That's the best thing to do right now.

Nopstnz8
Jul 25, 2011, 04:48 PM
That's the best thing to do right now.

Damn...

ilkevinli
Jul 26, 2011, 07:18 AM
rEFIt works fine for me on Lion.

Nopstnz8
Jul 26, 2011, 05:13 PM

Really? No problems at all? What's your partition table look like?

ilkevinli
Jul 27, 2011, 05:20 AM
No problems at all. I have the patition for OS X Lion and the Bootcamp Windows 7 partition.

Really? No problems at all? What's your partition table look like?

kkrull
Mar 10, 2012, 11:18 AM

I have 10.7.3 on my Macbook Air with rEFIt without any problems. I think it is installed on the OSX partition. I installed rEFIt when I purchased the machine mid summer and have updated OSX at least once.

*** Report for internal hard disk ***

Current GPT partition table:
# Start LBA End LBA Type
1 40 409639 EFI System (FAT)
2 409640 58996039 Mac OS X HFS+
3 59258880 98320383 Basic Data
4 98320384 490233855 Basic Data

Current MBR partition table:
# A Start LBA End LBA Type
1 1 409639 ee EFI Protective
2 409640 58996039 af Mac OS X HFS+
3 * 59258880 98320383 0c FAT32 (LBA)
4 98320384 490233855 07 NTFS/HPFS

MBR contents:
Boot Code: Unknown, but bootable

Partition at LBA 40:
Boot Code: None (Non-system disk message)
File System: FAT32
Listed in GPT as partition 1, type EFI System (FAT)

Partition at LBA 409640:
Boot Code: None
File System: HFS Extended (HFS+)
Listed in GPT as partition 2, type Mac OS X HFS+
Listed in MBR as partition 2, type af Mac OS X HFS+

Partition at LBA 59258880:
Boot Code: Windows BOOTMGR (Vista)
File System: FAT32
Listed in GPT as partition 3, type Basic Data
Listed in MBR as partition 3, type 0c FAT32 (LBA), active

Partition at LBA 98320384:
Boot Code: Windows BOOTMGR (Vista)