PDA

View Full Version : 2011 13" Core i5 MacBook Air Lag in Lion

isaaclimdc
Jul 23, 2011, 06:54 PM
I just bought one of the new MacBook Airs (128GB model) which came preinstalled with Lion. I have been noticing a lot of lag on my machine, such as when scrolling in Safari or Preview, the scroll is very jittery and not smooth. Also, I can't seem to watch YouTube videos in the "expanded" version, or full-screen smoothly. The video will lag, and the spinning beach ball will show.

I have also noticed the fan goes crazy sometimes even if I'm not doing anything.

Anyone experience these problems? I'm not sure if it's my installation of Lion that's doing this or the hardware in the MBA, but I'm very disappointed :(

Obscurelight
Jul 23, 2011, 06:59 PM
Just when I decided to turn in my online ordered i7 for an i5 you come up with this post :mad:

Edit: It wouldn't be right after you turned it on right? because the indexing does eat up your CPU which might be causing the lag. See if it continues to be like this

Samsumac
Jul 23, 2011, 07:06 PM
Bring up your activity monitor and check if any of the processes eats up cpu cycles... The i5 is very powerful for what you are doing :).

Give it some time to index as well

isaaclimdc
Jul 23, 2011, 07:07 PM
Nope, it's all the time. I don't have a good feeling about this.. I don't think it's my user data that's screwing up Lion, unfortunately.

isaaclimdc
Jul 23, 2011, 07:11 PM
Bring up your activity monitor and check if any of the processes eats up cpu cycles... The i5 is very powerful for what you are doing :).

Give it some time to index as well

Nope.. nothing is eating up more than 1-2% CPU at the moment, and the lag is persistent. And Spotlight is done indexing. I even tried quitting everything except Safari and the lag is still there. Arghh!

Obscurelight
Jul 23, 2011, 07:17 PM
Maybe you got a lemon? I guess its a trip to the apple store. You can also try to wipe the disc blank and do that internet restoring thing and see if that helps any

Samsumac
Jul 23, 2011, 07:18 PM
MMM, before stating that it is a lemon, give it a reboot and some time to settle.
If you don't have any runaway process eating cpu cycles as is the case now, I would exchange it.
But give it some time
If you go to the spotlight tab, add your ssd at the privacy tab, reboot, and then delete it . It will force Lion to re-index the ssd.
If you have no problem with the cpu , it can only be ram or the ssd.

Nope.. nothing is eating up more than 1-2% CPU at the moment, and the lag is persistent. And Spotlight is done indexing. I even tried quitting everything except Safari and the lag is still there. Arghh!

Elven
Jul 23, 2011, 07:20 PM
Have you tried doing a repair permissions?

I found it helped on my 27" i7 iMac.

isaaclimdc
Jul 23, 2011, 07:45 PM
I think that worked! I did the privacy spotlight thing, and now it's reindexing, and I also repaired permissions.. the lag is gone!!

Thanks a million guys! I will report back if the problem persists :)

Samsumac
Jul 23, 2011, 07:58 PM
That's excellent. Do give it some time to settle and do its stuff,don't turn it off :D.
Enjoy it!!

I think that worked! I did the privacy spotlight thing, and now it's reindexing, and I also repaired permissions.. the lag is gone!!

Thanks a million guys! I will report back if the problem persists :)

isaaclimdc
Jul 24, 2011, 02:49 AM
I found the problem. It happened again.. Nothing to do with Spotlight's indexing. Turns out, it only happens after I wake my MacBook Air from sleep. With a fresh restart, everything is perfect, until I close the lid. When I reopen it, everything lags. And the only to stop it is to restart. Anyone know what's wrong here..?

isaaclimdc
Jul 24, 2011, 05:36 AM
Note: Solved by a wipe and reinstall of Lion.

denture14
Aug 2, 2011, 10:49 PM
I have the SAME model and the SAME issue. So, should I just wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything? That seems like kind of a hassle. Should I just bring it to the Apple store and let them do it?

Any advice?