PDA

View Full Version : My take on the new 11" vs 13"

nph
Jul 23, 2011, 10:41 PM
I am trying to decide and have been to both Apple Store and Best Buy.
Here are my observations:

- the 11" is really a true laptop in a small package, nice and very tempting!
- Battery time is pretty much roughly one hour less than the 13" regardless if it is under load or just browsing.
- The 13" has the SD card reader so in theory (please correct me if I am wrong here) it can be used as an additional 32Gig storage for media files like iTunes etc.
- It is a little harder to read text on the 11" but it is really sharp none the less.
- Keyboard and mousepad is pretty much equal
- Couldn't see any difference in screens, both had the Samsung screens at BB

Resolution wise the 11" is pretty much equal to the 13" MBP give or take a few pixels while the 13" MBA is equal to the 15" MBP.
Btw, the 13" MBP gave about 3 additional hours of browsing compared to the MBA when I tested them but the glass screen and weight is not worth it...!

I am getting either 11 or 13. I have the rev B 13 inch and really like it but the heat on it and the vents under the laptop really makes it hard to use. Looking forward to this rev E instead with about 2+ extra hours of usage compared to mine. Even so I was very lucky with mine and got one of the really few excellent screens when I ordered mine from Amazon at that time (2009). My wife has already reserved it.... :D

What surprised me is that this time it is possible to chose the 11" without any sacrifice in performance. I am torn between the 11" 1.6 with 128G or the base 13". $100 in difference.
Btw, Best Buy has a sale right now and it was only 1134 for the 11" there but since I have gift cards at Amazon it will be ordered from there.

The main question is if the screen is too small in the long run on 11" and if it will strain the eyes after a while. On an airplane it would be perfect but I will use it less than 5% on airplanes so that is not really a deciding factor. I am definitely leaning toward the 13" but the size/weight of the 11" in my view gives it the same portability as an iPad and makes it very tempting!

Any insight or comment?

cpnotebook80
Jul 23, 2011, 10:58 PM
go with your first instinct :) i never had the mba before but went to the apple store and played with both 11 and 13". i decided on 11" right away because in this day in age, portability and weight is gaining momentum in every piece of technology. I laugh at my sister bringing in her 6lb dell laptop from work and showed her the 11" mba. she was is that an ipad? lol

If you are using this as your primary laptop get the larger screen ie 13" etc if not, the 11" will suffice plenty.Especially with this new update from apple, its sweeter than last years model.

urkel
Jul 23, 2011, 11:10 PM
i decided on 11" right away because in this day in age, portability and weight is gaining momentum in every piece of technology.
But isnt that momentum exactly why the Tablet market is finally taking off?

I mean no offense to anyone by saying that. I fully understand how powerful the new 11" Air is, but IMO the need for raw power on the road is less and less important. If someone bought an 11" then they knew exactly why they NEEDED this, but for people on the fence then there are long term usage considerations for such a small computer.

ZBoater
Jul 23, 2011, 11:14 PM
The Trackpad on the 13" is bigger...

treynolds
Jul 23, 2011, 11:22 PM
I have the 2010 13.3" Ultimate, my wife has the 2010 11.6" base model.

She loves hers and I enjoy using it as well. Definitely more portable if that's what you need, but I got the 13" because of the professional apps I wanted to run, plus additional screen real estate for Illustrator and ACAD as well as the SD slot for photography.

I think that out of the box the 13" base gets you some better specs than the 11", but they're more equal now.

Either way, you won't be sorry.

Tony

Baycity
Jul 23, 2011, 11:41 PM
I bought the 128gb base 13 inch and heres why. The 256 gb wasn't worth the extra 300dollars and the i7 doesn't seem to be a HUGE improvement. The i7 also seems to add some heat and take some battery life. Also the SD slot intact supports SDXC so you can add an extra 128gigs right there, i can confirm this because i have a 64gig card in mine right now. I tested both the 11 and 13 but the 11 made me way to claustrophobic. For the slight price difference I think he 13 stock is the way to go.

ghsNick
Jul 24, 2011, 12:01 AM
The 11 is great for me.
I was debating over the $100 difference but couldn't do it (not because of the money) but because then I'd be spending more on a 13" then a MBP 13" that could do A LOT more.

I got the 11 and love the pinch to zoom. I zoom sometimes (when my eyes are tired) and sometimes I look at it normal.

The fullscreen is definitely a must!

I'd go 11.

It's definitely a "funner" Air.

KPOM
Jul 24, 2011, 12:11 AM
What surprised me is that this time it is possible to chose the 11" without any sacrifice in performance. I am torn between the 11" 1.6 with 128G or the base 13". $100 in difference.

Why not go for the 11" Core i7 with the 128GB SSD? At $50 more than the base 13" model, but with the better processor, it looks like it's in a good spot. MacMall has a nice discount on all the models now, but this model Air has a particularly nice one.

I had the 2008 Rev B with the SSD and enjoyed it a lot, but with the Rev D I made the leap to the 11". I just recently picked up the Core i7 11", as well. Apart from PowerPoint (where the Ribbon takes up a lot of room), I don't really miss the extra screen real estate.

hachre
Jul 24, 2011, 12:58 AM
Why not go for the 11" Core i7 with the 128GB SSD? At $50 more than the base 13" model, but with the better processor, it looks like it's in a good spot. MacMall has a nice discount on all the models now, but this model Air has a particularly nice one.

I had the 2008 Rev B with the SSD and enjoyed it a lot, but with the Rev D I made the leap to the 11". I just recently picked up the Core i7 11", as well. Apart from PowerPoint (where the Ribbon takes up a lot of room), I don't really miss the extra screen real estate.

How much of a battery life do you get out of your 11" i7 and how easily does it get loud?

iAAPL
Jul 24, 2011, 01:02 AM
Lion really pushed me over the edge towards the 11" model. Fullscreen apps and better zooming in Safari are obviously very helpful. Mission Control could be a huge advantage as well. Even on my 27" iMac, where screen real estate is no issue, I've been using spaces far more often, just because it's so easy to swipe back and forth.

1appleAday
Jul 24, 2011, 01:29 AM
i have a 13" gen A macbook Air, so powerwise the 11" is NOT a compromise for me. And I don't know about you guys, but for me, having used a 13" for couple years, the 11" has a "new toy" feel to me :D So I would be going for 11" if I'm upgrading. Just my 2 cents.

arctic
Jul 24, 2011, 01:46 AM
i have a 13" gen A macbook Air, so powerwise the 11" is NOT a compromise for me. And I don't know about you guys, but for me, having used a 13" for couple years, the 11" has a "new toy" feel to me :D So I would be going for 11" if I'm upgrading. Just my 2 cents.

They're both equal in power now with the i7. You'll love your new 11". :)

VMMan
Jul 24, 2011, 02:13 AM
I just wrote this a minute ago on another similar thread...

I've been struggling over this decision on which size 2011 MBA would be better for me. It's the usual dilemma with the 13" boasting pretty much better specs and battery life than the 11". Then I thought, well, the 13" is ONLY 2" larger diagonally, and ONLY weighs a "little" more (and ONLY costs a "little" more).

But the reality is that for a truly mobile device, like an iPad, only the MBA 11" has a shot at being mobile. The MBA 13" is great and certainly more mobile than a conventional MBP 13", but the MBA 13" is still IMHO more of a portable, than a mobile laptop.

The MBA 11" is actually mobile.

Once I realized this, there really was no longer a comparison to be made. They are two different devices. One being mobile and the other very portable.

I have a 2011 MBP 17" which is my ultimate portable, and now my 2011 MBA 11" (on order) will be my mobile computer.

aleni
Jul 24, 2011, 03:07 AM
with 2009 13" mba, i rarely bring that laptop outside because even it's thin, the footprint is the same as 13" mbp, not so small.

with this 2010 11", i bring it out everywhere i go because the footprint is so small, almost close to the iPad, i just easily put it on my small bag.

and fullscreen apps in Lion really makes the small screen looks very big :D and i love tap to zoom in safari like u can do in iPad, it's really making it easier to read web pages.

hehe299792458
Jul 24, 2011, 03:09 AM
They're both equal in power now with the i7. You'll love your new 11". :)

Core i7 on the 11''?

arctic
Jul 24, 2011, 03:16 AM
Core i7 on the 11''?

Yep. You haven't seen the specs yet? :D

seong
Jul 24, 2011, 03:37 AM
Yep. You haven't seen the specs yet? :D

Uhhhhh, I don't seem them.....?
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/6162111/800/Macrumors-stuff/Screen-Shot-2011-07-24-at-5.36.09-PM.png

EDIT: My bad. You can configure if you are customizing your MBA. That's if you are going for higher end MBA 11".
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/6162119/800/Macrumors-stuff/Screen-Shot-2011-07-24-at-5.39.08-PM.png

Baycity
Jul 24, 2011, 03:40 AM
select the top model of the 11 its an upgrade when you customize it.

arctic
Jul 24, 2011, 03:47 AM
This:

with 2009 13" mba, i rarely bring that laptop outside because even it's thin, the footprint is the same as 13" mbp, not so small.

with this 2010 11", i bring it out everywhere i go because the footprint is so small, almost close to the iPad, i just easily put it on my small bag.

I own a MBP 13" myself and the 13" MBA has the same footprint and bulk except its just thinner. The 11" is the real Air. If only the i7 won't heat up as much. Perhaps the thermal pasting will settle down after a few days.

i0Nic
Jul 24, 2011, 04:36 AM
I have to agree that the 11" MBA really does feel like a true ultraportable device. The 13" model is great if you want a normal laptop that's just thinner and lighter, but it doesn't feel like an ultraportable.

It depends on your needs and wants. If you want a regular sized laptop but want it to be as thin and light as possible, get the 13"

If you want a true ultraportable device that you can grab and take everywhere, get the 11"

Personally, I'll be getting the 11" even though I don't absolutely need that ultra portability. The smaller footprint just makes it much more likely that I will take it with me, whereas the 13" feels like a regular laptop although a very nice one.

Jobsian
Jul 24, 2011, 04:49 AM
The 11 is great for me.
I was debating over the $100 difference but couldn't do it (not because of the money) but because then I'd be spending more on a 13" then a MBP 13" that could do A LOT more.

I got the 11 and love the pinch to zoom. I zoom sometimes (when my eyes are tired) and sometimes I look at it normal.

I'd go 11.

It's definitely a "funner" Air.This echoes my sentiments. It's really, really fun. So much power in such a small package. I literally throw this thing around the house, throw it to work, throw it onto a plane. Heck sometimes I just get the urge to smash it to smithereens it's that great.

All depends on whether you really need extra battery/screen real estate. I don't and so the 11" was the best for me.

gostan
Jul 24, 2011, 05:55 AM
I sold my 2010 13" Ultimate a few weeks ago, and so far I am enjoying the switch to the 11 incher. I opted to purchase the in-store 1.6-128gb version.

The most definite portability benefits of the 11 over the 13 combined with the new full screen app ability of Lion sold me to downsize. I am sitting here in my HT room with the MBA on my lap surfing/typing away and the 11 inch is perfect. My eyes have almost adapted to the smaller/screen. And swiping away on the trackpad with Lion really improves the entire experience.

Now, I may opt to sell my iPad 2, as the 11" MBA & the iPad have some severe overlapping for me as I really only use about 6 or 7 of the 50 apps downloaded to my iPad. I would not be thinking of doing so if I opted for another 13" MBA.

Stan

teerexx52
Jul 24, 2011, 06:33 AM
I sold my 2010 13" Ultimate a few weeks ago, and so far I am enjoying the switch to the 11 incher. I opted to purchase the in-store 1.6-128gb version.

The most definite portability benefits of the 11 over the 11 combined with the new full screen app ability of Lion sold me to downsize. I am sitting here in my HT room with the MBA on my lap surfing/typing away and the 11 inch is perfect. My eyes have almost adapted to the smaller/screen. And swiping away on the trackpad with Lion really improves the entire experience.

Now, I may opt to sell my iPad 2, as the 11" MBA & the iPad have some severe overlapping for me as I really only use about 6 or 7 of the 50 apps downloaded to my iPad. I would not be thinking of doing so if I opted for another 13" MBA.

Stan

I'm in the same boat. Have my big boy MacBook Pro and trying an 11" macBook Air. The iPad 2 may get sold.

dealmaker
Jul 24, 2011, 06:46 AM
I had a 13" MBP and upgraded to a 15" i7 machine when they came out (for work use) - my logic was that a 15" wasn't that much bigger in real terms to carry round than my 13"MBP - it takes more or less the same space in my briefcase. I also have a 17" MBP that I use as my sofa-surfing and den machine.

So for me it's an easy choice I went for the 11" as it's the first machine since my old Sony VAIOS that I can carry around anywhere and use on a plane/train and still have full functionality and capability - whereas the 13" was just that little bit too big - and so I might as well take the 15" MBP.

The 11" is a unique product IMHO now that Sony have discontinued their thin carbon 11" machines. (plus I ain't ever going back to a PC!)

FieldingMellish
Jul 24, 2011, 06:49 AM
I went for the 11 due to ultraportability and the fact that I have other Macs and a large standalone display. Hot rod feel, for me, like a 2 seated Porsche over a station wagon. Guys, this decision is so much like lens discussions on the DSLR forums. Canon, for example, has models with overlapping features leading to endless consternation. Bottom line is your personal situation in mission critical requirements. Trouble is, lust gets in the way. Like the little head telling the big head what to do. :)

arctic
Jul 24, 2011, 06:55 AM
It's cool to see previous 13" MBA owners now opting for the 11" as their machine of choice.

MacRumorUser
Jul 24, 2011, 06:58 AM
I have had laptops of many different sizes in past 10 years. iBook 12, PowerBook 12, PowerBook 15, MacBook rev 1, MacBook Pro 15, MacBook Air rev 1, MacBook Pro Unibody 15, and most recently the MacBook Air 11" core2duo...

Of all of the laptops I've had the PowerBook 12 and the MacBook Air 11" are my favourites.

Sold my MBA 2010 just couple weeks ago in prep for my MBA 2011. For portability I don't think I would ever go to a higher dimension in the future.

gostan
Jul 24, 2011, 06:59 AM
I went for the 11 due to ultraportability and the fact that I have other Macs and a large standalone display. Hot rod feel, for me, like a 2 seated Porsche over a station wagon. Guys, this decision is so much like lens discussions on the DSLR forums. Canon, for example, has models with overlapping features leading to endless consternation. Bottom line is your personal situation in mission critical requirements. Trouble is, lust gets in the way. Like the little head telling the big head what to do. :)And, of course, my DSLR is not getting much use these days, as my new smaller Panasonic Micro 4/3 G3 is much smaller to carry around on a daily basis; with almost as good pictures 95% of the time.

Stan

CapnJackGig
Jul 24, 2011, 07:02 AM
Get the 13 and then you wont feel the need to make up excuses as to why you're constantly squinting at a tiny screen on a laptop that's probably overpriced by about 400 dollars.

gostan
Jul 24, 2011, 07:07 AM
Get the 13 and then you wont feel the need to make up excuses as to why you're constantly squinting at a tiny screen on a laptop that's probably overpriced by about 400 dollars. With my glasses on, I do not squint on either the 11 or the 13.:p

Stan

sillyrabbitt
Jul 24, 2011, 08:33 AM
The 11 is great for me.

I'd go 11.

It's definitely a "funner" Air.

Word!
Well said!

clyde2801
Jul 24, 2011, 08:35 AM
Of course, automatically hiding the dock, or moving it to the left size helps with the 11".

theRick119
Jul 24, 2011, 10:14 AM
Great points brought up in this thread.

I had the 2010 11" but have been wanting more disk space so I started looking at the 4gb/128gb 11". I have been going through the same "the 13 is ONLY $80 more (MacMall), only a little heavier etc) but you all are absolutely right... What I loved about the 11" was the ultra portability and taking it everywhere without thinking about it. Using it on my lap in the recliner for hours while my wife watches reality TV and I occasionally look up ;) -- and never getting tired of holding it.

I think the 13" would be an amazing device, but it isn't the same device that I've loved using for the last 7 months. The 11" made the iPad expendable (I sold on Craigslist about a month after getting the Air) for me, but I don't think the 13 will fill the same role.

Again great points, I am finally ready to make my purchase.

itanibro
Jul 24, 2011, 10:46 AM
11 inch MBA + external display.

Best of both worlds.

CorvetteZR1
Jul 24, 2011, 11:15 AM
But isnt that momentum exactly why the Tablet market is finally taking off?

I mean no offense to anyone by saying that. I fully understand how powerful the new 11" Air is, but IMO the need for raw power on the road is less and less important. If someone bought an 11" then they knew exactly why they NEEDED this, but for people on the fence then there are long term usage considerations for such a small computer.

11" is the perfect laptop in my opinion. Bring it home and plug it into an external monitor and you have a powerful desktop. :)

sporadicMotion
Jul 24, 2011, 11:24 AM
I have had laptops of many different sizes in past 10 years. iBook 12, PowerBook 12, PowerBook 15, MacBook rev 1, MacBook Pro 15, MacBook Air rev 1, MacBook Pro Unibody 15, and most recently the MacBook Air 11" core2duo...

Of all of the laptops I've had the PowerBook 12 and the MacBook Air 11" are my favourites.

Sold my MBA 2010 just couple weeks ago in prep for my MBA 2011. For portability I don't think I would ever go to a higher dimension in the future.

I'm totally a 13" laptop guy but I was playing with the new 11" and wow... the first think that came to mind was my old 12". We've decided to to get the 11" for my partner based on that alone (she uses an old 12" iBook because of it's footprint... time for an update).

It's amazing how little in size difference there is between the two. That said, that little bit really is a big difference.

ZBoater
Jul 24, 2011, 12:18 PM
I understand the portability argument, and obviously the 11" is a little more portable than the 13". The way I see it though is that I spend a lot more time working on my computer than carrying it. So I'd rather struggle a little bit while carrying than compromise on screen resolution and real estate.

But that is just me... :cool:

h00ligan
Jul 24, 2011, 12:24 PM
And, of course, my DSLR is not getting much use these days, as my new smaller Panasonic Micro 4/3 G3 is much smaller to carry around on a daily basis; with almost as good pictures 95% of the time.

Stan

I gave up on mft because i'd say it's 50% of the time, and the other 50% is where I live frequently, low light and shallow dof. It's shocking they haven't improved noise much on the smaller cameras (G3 is better)

On the 11", I tried one last year, but the text was too small, I was zooming all the time, which was frustrating.. and it lacked an sd card and had worse battery life. So this year I bought the 13"!

Great to be so spoiled for choice though, to be sure (cameras and computers).

SaintsMac
Jul 24, 2011, 12:33 PM

Best of both worlds.

My thoughts as well!

Insilin1i
Jul 24, 2011, 12:39 PM
I chose the 13" because the battery lasts 2 hour more than the 11 inch and the screen is larger and if I'm gonna be using a computer for long periods of time I want a larger screen. I also have large hands so the 11" just felt a bit cramped for me.

I can understand that people want a smaller laptop like the 11" because it fits easier when sitting in lecture halls and airplanes but I don't quite get the portability argument, I can easily carry my 13" anywhere the 11" goes.

sporadicMotion
Jul 24, 2011, 12:39 PM
I understand the portability argument, and obviously the 11" is a little more portable than the 13". The way I see it though is that I spend a lot more time working on my computer than carrying it. So I'd rather struggle a little bit while carrying than compromise on screen resolution and real estate.

You just read my mind. I'm going to try carrying both around though (at different times) to see if I really notice a difference once we've received our Airs. I'm also curious if I'll notice a difference while working from an 11".

Gotta wait until Wednesday... *tapping foot*

AbeFroman77
Jul 24, 2011, 12:44 PM
I chose the 13" because the battery lasts 2 hour more than the 11 inch and the screen is larger and if I'm gonna be using a computer for long periods of time I want a larger screen. I also have large hands so the 11" just felt a bit cramped for me.

I can understand that people want a smaller laptop like the 11" because it fits easier when sitting in lecture halls and airplanes but I don't quite get the portability argument, I can easily carry my 13" anywhere the 11" goes.

This one of the reasons I returned the 11". I think 13" is the right size for me.

entatlrg
Jul 24, 2011, 01:21 PM
In reality I'd say it's a need / want thing ...

Need 13" - it's sensible, who doesn't want 'more' screen real estate, longer battery life ETC..

Want 11" - it's so damn cool, extra easy to grab and go anywhere, fun to use.

Sometimes a 'fun to use' item can get more use than the 'yea that's want I need' item ...

Maybe if you're using your Air for productivity reasons, (work/school), it's possible to be more productive. For example on the 11" screen over the 13" because you enjoy the 11" so much you're using it more places and longer hours...

Therefore you're getting more work done on the smaller computer ... maybe not as much screen size or power but since it's fun and always with you you're ahead of the game...

It's like the camera theory, the 'best' camera is the one you have with you...

Did that make any sense? :)

ZBoater
Jul 24, 2011, 01:53 PM

Oddly, it did. :D

aleni
Jul 24, 2011, 11:15 PM
Of course, automatically hiding the dock, or moving it to the left size helps with the 11".

take advantage of the Lion's fullscreen apps, Safari and iTunes are amazing, and reeder is recently updated to support fullscreen.

while fullscreen apps on big screen like 17" mbp or 27" apple cinema display are worthless, it really fits well on 11" and 13" air.

rlu929s
Jul 25, 2011, 09:09 AM
I'm in the same boat and decided on the 11". I agree with the rest that the 11" and 13" are 2 different devices in regards to size. I folded them and imagined just carrying them around in my hand day-to-day and the 13" just didn't seem doable.

Granted I have a nice desktop system at home for my major work, so I'm just looking for something on the go that I can go do light upkeep/work on my websites over lunch etc.

KPOM
Jul 25, 2011, 09:58 AM
Hopefully with the Rev F, Apple can find a way to reduce the size of the bezel and make it a 12" screen. It would just require the screen to be .32" wider and .18" taller. If they can make it .64" wider and .36" taller, it would be 12.3" and there would still be plenty of bezel around it.

What would be the next feasible resolution up from 1366x768? Would it be 1536x864?

It's like the camera theory, the 'best' camera is the one you have with you...

It reminds me of the Apple ad from the late 1980s/early 1990s. The gist of it was the most powerful computer is the one you actually use.

sushi
Jul 25, 2011, 09:58 AM

Best of both worlds.
Agree! :)

With the new Apple Thunderbolt Display it would be a great combination.

Yes, it did.

flynz4
Jul 25, 2011, 11:51 AM
A few years ago, I was just using a 15" MBP.

Later I bought a 13.3" Rev C MBA... and the 15" MBP started feeling huge to me.

I dumped the MBP, and bought a 27" iMac... and with the 13.3" MBA, everything seemed perfect.

When the 2010 MBA was released... I headed to the Apple store pre-determined to buy the new 13.3". After comparing with the 11.6"... I changed my mind and bought the 11.6" Rev D. For the past 9 months... I have been using the 11.6 and my wife took over the 13.3. Now to me, the 13.3" MBA seems large and clunky.

I just replaced my Rev D with a Rev E 11.6" MBA. My wife had her choice of keeping the 13.3 Rev C or using the 11.6 Rev D. She stayed with the 13.3. Isn't choice great?

In any case... I think having a 27" iMac and a MBA is the perfect combination for me. I have personally enjoyed both the 13.3 and 11.6, but prefer the 11.6.

/Jim

BTW: We also have a 30" 2560X1600 display that we can use to dock either MBA... but we almost never use it.

Trey M
Jul 25, 2011, 12:27 PM
Dude....crazy I literally just went through the same dilemma. I literally could not decide, they're both just such great laptops, but they really do give off different vibes.

As many of you have said, the 11 inch definitely is funner to use, I've had it for 3 or 4 days and I'm still amazed how powerful this thing is....

As for the 13 inch, you can just realistically do more with the extra screen real estate, and the bigger trackpad are a really nice addition.

I have a 2011 15 inch MBP, and I sold my iPad because it felt like too much of a toy for me. So instead of getting an iPad 2, I wanted to pick up the Air. That's where things got tough.

The reason I decided on the 11 inch is because I already have a Pro. It comes down to this:
Primary device: Hands down, no questions asked, 13 inch air
Mobile Device: To replace an iPad, or a speedy mobile, 11 inch

I'm going to be a college student, and I really do think I'm going to use my Air as my mobile computer I take to most of my classes. It's just so portable, and if you look up pictures, it's barely any bigger than the iPad. Yes the 13 inch would be nice, but that'd just be a waste since I have the 15 inch Pro.

Good luck, and go with your gut.

darngooddesign
Jul 25, 2011, 12:35 PM

What I find funny is the idea that its a struggle to carry the larger Air.

I do agree with you.

KylePowers
Jul 25, 2011, 12:47 PM
If you guys had a 27" iMac, would you go 11" or 13"?

I have a 2011 27" iMac and I'm wanting to sell my iPad 2 to help pay for a 2011 MBA. I love the 13", but because I already have a powerful computer with a large screen, I'm highly considering the 11".

What to do, what to do =(

//3rd year electrical engineering student

s.hasan546
Jul 25, 2011, 12:50 PM

See i totally understand what your saying but it really depends on your usage.

I spend 80% of my time at my work desk where i hook up my mba 11" to my 2 22" monitors. So most of the time when i am using the mba as a laptop it is on my 2 1 hour train rides per day (mba 11" is much better suited for this, not b.c of it's weight more b.c of it's dimensions). And on my 16 hour flights to HK are going to be much easier with the mba 11 over a 13", again b.c of the dimensions not weight.

I think we both agree the .7 lb difference isn't a huge difference when it's in your bag. & most people don't have my commute and flying necessities.

CP1091
Jul 25, 2011, 12:51 PM
If you guys had a 27" iMac, would you go 11" or 13"?

I have a 2011 27" iMac and I'm wanting to sell my iPad 2 to help pay for a 2011 MBA. I love the 13", but because I already have a powerful computer with a large screen, I'm highly considering the 11".

What to do, what to do =(

//3rd year electrical engineering student

I'd definitely go for the 11". 27" is plenty of power and real estate!

wrinkster22
Jul 25, 2011, 01:48 PM
Uhhhhh, I don't seem them.....?
Image (http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/6162111/800/Macrumors-stuff/Screen-Shot-2011-07-24-at-5.36.09-PM.png)

EDIT: My bad. You can configure if you are customizing your MBA. That's if you are going for higher end MBA 11".
Image (http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/6162119/800/Macrumors-stuff/Screen-Shot-2011-07-24-at-5.39.08-PM.png)

can you give me a link on how to customize my ordeR? i only have the 4 options, thanks