PDA

View Full Version : This is why I choose the 11" over the 13" !

CHSeifert
Jul 23, 2011, 11:49 PM
I had the MBA 13 2010 model but just sold it.

It was a great machine, I really loved it.

But this time I wanted the 11" as it now has the proper sized SSD combined with pretty fast CPU and 4 GB RAM - and I always wanted the 11", but because of batterylife I had to get the 13".

This time I decided to get the 11" because:

1. The size just fits better on a plane table and in university on one of the small desks.

2. Weight of the 11" may pnly be 350 gram lighter than the 13", but when I have all my books, my iPad 2, iPhone 4 and a MBA, it's nice to have something almost as small as an iPad. With the 11" MBA I feel like lugging 2 iPads around and not a notebook.

3. I like the slightly sharper text I feel I get with the better & sharper 11" display

4. People just love it and always comment on how cute it looks, when they see me with it - especially the girls :o

5. I can almost use it like my iPad in bed holding it with one hand and reading PDF files and documents :)

6. I already own an iMac 27 Ultimate SSD with extra ACD 27" LED display, so will only use the MBA 11 at home connected to my HIFi and Sonos to listen to music and do light surfing in the living room - nothing demanding. So why not go for extreme portability, when all I and most MBA users will use it for is Pages, Numbers, Inet surf, email and some blogging ;)

iNeedToDoHw
Jul 23, 2011, 11:54 PM
correct me if I'm wrong, but i thought the 13inch had the better display

CHSeifert
Jul 23, 2011, 11:58 PM

No, it has higher resolution but a less sharp display because of the dotpitch :)

And some also thinks the panel on the 11" is superior to the panel of most of the 13" !!

Tagbert
Jul 23, 2011, 11:58 PM
the 13 has more pixels but fewer lines per inch.

I, too, chose the 11 over the 13. My reasoning was that when mobile, I wanted it to be as mobile as possible. At my desk, I will plug into my 24" 1920x1200 monitor. for me the only downside to the 11 is the shorter battery life and I decided that 4-5 hours was good enough.

misterneums
Jul 24, 2011, 12:00 AM

The 13 inch has a better resolution than the 11 inch, however the 11 inch has a higher pixel density than the 13 inch version. Some people feel that it creates a more vibrant, crisp picture than the 13 inch version.

arctic
Jul 24, 2011, 12:03 AM
for me the only downside to the 11 is the shorter battery life and I decided that 4-5 hours was good enough.

I hope it can at least get 4 hours of real world use. That i7 in there has muscle.

coelacanth
Jul 24, 2011, 12:17 AM
I had the original 13", then 1st gen 11". I was pretty sure I want to go with 11" again, but just to be sure, I wanted to hold the 13" again and see what I'd feel. It sure looked nice, but as soon as I picked it up, I knew I should go with the 11". That's what I walked out of the Apple Store with.

AZMacFan
Jul 24, 2011, 12:18 AM
You don't mind the extra scrolling with the smaller display? That combined with the keyboard feeling less cramped (I don't like having my hands hanging off it) are why I prefer the 13". And I feel it's still plenty portable.

But if the 11" is a chick magnet...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums (http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.newnessdevelopments.forums)

iAAPL
Jul 24, 2011, 12:46 AM
I'm considering an 11" model as well. I listen to the "Build and Analyze" podcast, and two weeks ago (episode #33 (http://5by5.tv/buildanalyze/33)) the host, Marco Arment, had me talked into a 13" for several good reasons. The weaker processor, lower productivity with the smaller screen, and bad battery life in the 11" were the main ones.

I think this new release solves all of these problems. The processors are core i5 across the board, with just a small difference (1.6 GHz vs. 1.7 GHz) between the two sizes. The battery life is much better than the previous gen, and are closer together. As for productivity, with the release of Lion, this issue is solved with full screen apps, better zooming in Safari, and arguably a better implementation of Spaces.

I'm going to be a college student next month, and the 11" seems ideal. I already have a 27" i7 iMac at home, so power is no issue. The 11" is more of an eye catcher, too. I also don't mind holding on to that extra $300 :). I just have to decide whether I should upgrade the ram to 4GB for $90 (student discount).

ghsNick
Jul 24, 2011, 12:55 AM
I love my brand new 11"

It's so fun...I've never had fun with a Laptop haha.

1appleAday
Jul 24, 2011, 01:36 AM
good choice OP! I would go for 11" too. Been using 13" for a while and the looking for something new! I'm sure you will love your new toy!

VMMan
Jul 24, 2011, 01:57 AM
I've been struggling over this decision on which size 2011 MBA would be better for me. It's the usual dilemma with the 13" boasting pretty much better specs and battery life than the 11". Then I thought, well, the 13" is ONLY 2" larger diagonally, and ONLY weighs a "little" more (and ONLY costs a "little" more).

But the reality is that for a truly mobile device, like an iPad, only the MBA 11" has a shot at being mobile. The MBA 13" is great and certainly more mobile than a conventional MBP 13", but the MBA 13" is still IMHO more of a portable, than a mobile laptop.

The MBA 11" is actually mobile.

Once I realized this, there really was no longer a comparison to be made. They are two different devices. One being mobile and the other very portable.

I have a 2011 MBP 17" which is my ultimate portable, and now my 2011 MBA 11" (on order) will be my mobile computer.

gostan
Jul 24, 2011, 06:01 AM
This was my take. :apple:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13024906&postcount=22

Stan

DeusInvictus7
Jul 24, 2011, 09:44 AM
I did the same thing! Going to sell my 13" Ultimate either today or tomorrow and have ordered a 11" model. I chose not to get the larger drive this time though since I have my iMac which does all of the media carrying for me, and any music I want to take with me is going to be on my phone.

I'm super excited, I've always wanted the 11" but it wasn't powerful enough compared to the 13". Now that they are using the same processor for the i7, it made my decision to sell my 13" much easier.

TheBMill
Jul 24, 2011, 01:51 PM
There's no wrong choice in this. Everyone has different reasons to choose whatever they want.

To me, the 11 inch represents the reason macbook airs exist in the first place. The 13 inch is fine, but doesn't have the wow factor that the 11 inch does. I was VERY concerned that I would have trouble with it being too small, etc. But, I absolutely didn't have that problem. For anyone using a macbook air as a secondary computer, something to have that's ultra mobile, etc. I can't recommend the 11 inch enough. I have a desktop and a macbook air and they're both dropboxed- so everything I do is always in sync and backed up. I use the desktop for when I'm home and need a big screen to and processing power to edit on. But, for work on the road, writing in cafes + libraries, and for lounging around the house and casually surfing - the 11 inch is amazing.

The 11 inch is also the reason I would never own an ipad. Some have joked it's the "ipad pro".

CHSeifert
Jul 24, 2011, 02:04 PM
I did the same thing! Going to sell my 13" Ultimate either today or tomorrow and have ordered a 11" model. I chose not to get the larger drive this time though since I have my iMac which does all of the media carrying for me, and any music I want to take with me is going to be on my phone.

I'm super excited, I've always wanted the 11" but it wasn't powerful enough compared to the 13". Now that they are using the same processor for the i7, it made my decision to sell my 13" much easier.

I feel exactly like you do - I have all my 5 starred music on my iPhone 4 32 GB and my all time favorites on my iPod Nano Touch 16 GB.

I have an iMac 27 Ultimate SSD with an extra Apple LED Cinema 27" Thunder display at home - and have all my Apple Lossless 1 TB music collection on my TimeCapsule - using my Sonos ZP-90 and iPad 2/MBA 11 as remote control/playlist controller - so simply can't see why I need more than 128 GB SSD on my MBA 11"

I didn't buy my MBA to edit video, create webdesign or edit photos - this is what I use my IMac 27 and ACD 27 for.

I bought my MBA for taking notes at University, light photo showing/size editing, emailing, blogging and as a playlist controller for my Sonos and HIFI system when at home.

I also have the iPad 2 - and even though one could say that the MBA 11 and the iPad 2 serve the same needs, I do agree to a certain extent - but what I got my MBA 11 for was for extensive note taking in Pages and spreadsheet creating/editing in Numbers, where I feel my iPad is not ideal enough.

If I ever needed to edit video or do webdesign on the fly, I would buy a MacBook Pro 15" with 1680X1050 with a fast SATA III SSD.

For what I currently do on the fly - the MBA 11 is the PERFECT choice for me currently :apple:

There's no wrong choice in this. Everyone has different reasons to choose whatever they want.

To me, the 11 inch represents the reason macbook airs exist in the first place. The 13 inch is fine, but doesn't have the wow factor that the 11 inch does. I was VERY concerned that I would have trouble with it being too small, etc. But, I absolutely didn't have that problem. For anyone using a macbook air as a secondary computer, something to have that's ultra mobile, etc. I can't recommend the 11 inch enough. I have a desktop and a macbook air and they're both dropboxed- so everything I do is always in sync and backed up. I use the desktop for when I'm home and need a big screen to and processing power to edit on. But, for work on the road, writing in cafes + libraries, and for lounging around the house and casually surfing - the 11 inch is amazing.

The 11 inch is also the reason I would never own an ipad. Some have joked it's the "ipad pro".

I agree - only reason my MBA 11 is NOT the iPad Pro is the batterylife on the unit, which more seems like an iPad Light ;)

I have both the iPad 2 and the MBA 11 - because they complement eachother very nice and together they still don't weigh more than a light notebook and I get the excellent bettery life on the iPad combined with the portability of the MBA 11 for notetaking :)

myrtlebee
Jul 24, 2011, 04:29 PM
The battery life is much better than the previous gen, and are closer together.

Is this true? I had heard it was the same as the 2010s. Battery is really the only thing I would like improved in my 2010 11"

detholm
Jul 24, 2011, 05:06 PM
I only own 1 MBP its a early 2010 model core duo it was the highest upgrade i could get i am thinking about selling this and getting the 13'' i7. Is the computer going to be slower? it will function as my only computer as i am just out of college and poor any advise? should i just keep my MBP?

blowabs
Jul 24, 2011, 05:14 PM
OP..you are just a tad wrong. [I thought i would get the 11", till I got to the Apple store and saw it] I will be using my MBA to do more than search. I will be running PS and LR to do digital files in the field. The 13" fits me best. Also, I have an iMAC 27" and iPad and this fits right in the middle.. :)
..but to each his own..
Apple is great....

dugbug
Jul 24, 2011, 05:21 PM
OP..you are just a tad wrong. [I thought i would get the 11", till I got to the Apple store and saw it] I will be using my MBA to do more than search. I will be running PS and LR to do digital files in the field. The 13" fits me best. Also, I have an iMAC 27" and iPad and this fits right in the middle.. :)
..but to each his own..
Apple is great....

Yes, no way I can live with the 11". I think the choice is fantastic though.

striker33
Jul 24, 2011, 05:42 PM
Is this true? I had heard it was the same as the 2010s. Battery is really the only thing I would like improved in my 2010 11"

This is nto true. The battery life is roughly 30 mins shorter on the i5 model.

CHSeifert
Jul 24, 2011, 05:45 PM
Just got some good and some bad news :eek: :)

I just got the chance to buy an MBA through work - which is good news :)
So my plan is to cancel and return the MBA 11 I just bought.

Problem is that they only offer the 13" MBA 2011 edition, and only the base i5 128 GB MBA and the Ultimate i7 256 GB MBA - and NO MBA 11 at all :eek:

I asked them if it would be possible to exchange or swap to get the MBA 11, but this can't be done - so I'll just have to live with the big clumsy MBA 13 Ultimate instead of the sweet little MBA 11, I hope I'll be Okay :p

So no MBA 11 for me :(

You know what - I'll sell the darn MBA 13 Ulti to my brother and then buy the MBA 11 Ultimate :)

Obscurelight
Jul 24, 2011, 05:47 PM
Just got some good and some bad news :eek: :)

I just got the chance to buy an MBA through work - which is good news :)
So my plan is to cancel and return the MBA 11 I just bought.

Problem is that they only offer the 13" MBA 2011 edition, and only the base i5 128 GB MBA and the Ultimate i7 256 GB MBA - and NO MBA 11 at all :eek:

I asked them if it would be possible to exchange or swap to get the MBA 11, but this can't be done - so I'll just have to live with the big clumsy MBA 13 Ultimate instead of the sweet little MBA 11, I hope I'll be Okay :p

So no MBA 11 for me :(

JERK! You go through this thread and all the reasons the 11 is better and you end up getting the 13" I call shenanigans!!!! :mad::rolleyes::):D

CHSeifert
Jul 24, 2011, 06:54 PM
JERK! You go through this thread and all the reasons the 11 is better and you end up getting the 13" I call shenanigans!!!! :mad::rolleyes::):D

Sorry :o

But the deal I got through my work was fantastic.
I pay for the MBA over my salary and after tax reduction - it's more than 50% cheaper, so could not afford to get the cheaper MBA 11 :p

peapody
Jul 24, 2011, 06:59 PM
5. I can almost use it like my iPad in bed holding it with one hand and reading PDF files and documents :)

I was on the fence about whether to get an iPad versus a macbook air 11...and this one sealed the deal for me... going for an iPad. Just makes more sense to hold it like a book since I do a lot of reading.

altecXP
Jul 24, 2011, 07:07 PM
really? complaining about the weight of a 11in vs thin 13in in college? The average college kid has a 15in laptop and doesn't complain. Are you that weak?

I can't believe so many kids today complain about weight are we raising kids THAT out of shape?

urkel
Jul 24, 2011, 07:12 PM
really? complaining about the weight of a 11in vs thin 13in in college? The average college kid has a 15in laptop and doesn't complain. Are you that weak?

I can't believe so many kids today complain about weight are we raising kids THAT out of shape?
Sheesh. Complaining about the fact that a complete stranger has a personal opinion? Remind me never to get old.

arctic
Jul 24, 2011, 07:15 PM
Remind me never to get old.

Right on:D! Get out of the way or he'll hit us with his cane.

TC03
Jul 24, 2011, 07:22 PM

I can't believe so many kids today complain about weight are we raising kids THAT out of shape?Weight is everything.

Bringing a laptop is something that is generally done out of precaution. In fact, you simply don't always need it and you don't know when you need it. So ideally, you wouldn't notice if you're carrying a laptop at all. Just like a pen, you always carry it with you because it doesn't bother you to carry it.

However, if a laptop has some considerable weight, like a 13" MBP, it may become a hassle. You start leaving your laptop at home when you think you don't need it just to find out you need it after all. By doing so you completely miss the point of having a laptop at all, because you don't have a mobile computer with you when you needed it most. A MBA is so light and thin, especially the 11", there is no reason not to carry it with you, which is a huge advantage (and in my opinion, the main USP).

To summarize:
1. A laptop is of full use when brought with you at all times
2. A laptop is least bothering you when the weight is kept to a minimum
1+2: A laptop should always weigh as little as possible.

ZBoater
Jul 24, 2011, 07:24 PM
That's what the iPad is for, and even that gets left sometimes behind. About the only thing you can guarantee you will have all the time with you is a phone.

If you are carrying an 11 incher, the 13 inches is not going to break your back. Unless you want to fit it into that cool looking jacket with a MacBook Air pocket. Only the 11" fits there. But then again how many people carry a laptop in their pocket?

"Hey, is that a MacBook Air in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?" :cool:

arctic
Jul 24, 2011, 07:26 PM
Weight is everything.

Bringing a laptop is something that is generally done out of precaution. In fact, you simply don't always need it and you don't know when you need it. So ideally, you wouldn't notice if you're carrying a laptop at all. Just like a pen, you always carry it with you because it doesn't bother you to carry it.

However, if a laptop has some considerable weight, like a 13" MBP, it may become a hassle. You start leaving your laptop at home when you think you don't need it just to find out you need it after all. By doing so you completely miss the point of having a laptop at all, because you don't have a mobile computer with you when you needed it most. An MBA is so light and thin, especially the 11", there is no point into not bringing it, which is a huge advantage (and in my opinion, the USP).

To summarize:
1. A laptop is of full use when brought with you at all times
2. A laptop is least bothering you when the weight is kept to a minimum
1+2: A laptop should always weigh as little as possible.

No use wasting time writing a detailed response for that old guy. He's too in love with his machines on his sig he just came to the MBA forums to hit the kids with his walking stick.

tuna
Jul 24, 2011, 08:49 PM
Meh, to each his own. 13" is still really slim and light. It has a bigger, higher resolution, more useable screen, bigger and more useable keyboard and trackpad, and 40% more battery life. I figure that I'll enjoy using it more on the go than the smaller computer, and I definitely want an iPad for when I want something even smaller.

Plus the performance difference between the 1.6 and 1.7 is about twice as much as the performance difference between the 1.7 and 1.8, suggested by the turbo boost clocks of each processor and confirmed by benchmarks. You can BTO upgrade the 11" to the 1.8Ghz i7, but now you are bringing the price closer to the 13".

And then there's the real reason: MacMall is selling the 256GB 13" for $100 under MSRP, and in most states they won't be collecting sales tax from you. Thats a 9% savings for me. The 3rd party reseller prices on the 11" aren't as aggressive.

meistervu
Jul 24, 2011, 09:09 PM
I believe that the choice between the 11" and 13" is really personal. I am going to post my experience here in case it helps some one with the decision.

First, my background. I am a programmer. I used to lug around a 17" Dell with 1920x1200 resolution. The last few years I have been using a MacPro with a 24" screen at 1920x1200. I couldn't stand the 1280x768 15" screen on a Windows laptop I used occasionally. So, in my first trip to check out the new MBA I looked mostly at the 13". I did take a glance at the 11" but it did not occur to me that I might consider it.

When I got home, for some reason the thought of the 11" came up. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to try it out to see if it works for me. It is such a neat size, and my thought were that 900 versus 768 pixel height may not be that big of a deal once I get used to it.

So I bought a 11" and used it for a day. It's was a great little laptop. But I kept wishing for a bit more room. While full-screen apps made the best use of available real estate, I still wished that I could see more of my codes, or web sites, etc. The more I thought about it, the more I suspected that I was making an unnecessary compromise. What do I gain by choosing a 11" over a 13"? A smaller size, less weight, but does it really matter that the 13" is slightly heavier and bigger? I suspected not.

So I returned the 11" for the 13". And my suspicion was correct: I did not find the 13" weight to be more objectionable than the 11". They are both really light. As for size, I find the 13" more stable on my lap, so it's a plus. Unlike a phone which must fit in my pocket, the larger size of the 13" doesn't really make a difference in my back pack.

And now the pluses. I got a couple more hours of battery life. The screen size and resolution is fantastic compared to the 11" (which is not bad at all. I could have lived with it but it would have been a compromise). The trackpad is bigger. I got a built in SD. reader.

So in the end, I am keeping the 13". The 11" was a really neat device and a marvel of engineering. But the 13" suits my needs better.

Good luck with your choice.

TC03
Jul 25, 2011, 05:46 AM
Meh, to each his own. 13" is still really slim and light. It has a bigger, higher resolution, more useable screen, bigger and more useable keyboard and trackpad, and 40% more battery life. I figure that I'll enjoy using it more on the go than the smaller computer, and I definitely want an iPad for when I want something even smaller.

Plus the performance difference between the 1.6 and 1.7 is about twice as much as the performance difference between the 1.7 and 1.8, suggested by the turbo boost clocks of each processor and confirmed by benchmarks. You can BTO upgrade the 11" to the 1.8Ghz i7, but now you are bringing the price closer to the 13".

And then there's the real reason: MacMall is selling the 256GB 13" for $100 under MSRP, and in most states they won't be collecting sales tax from you. Thats a 9% savings for me. The 3rd party reseller prices on the 11" aren't as aggressive.The 11" MBA has exactly the same keyboard as the 13".

infobhan
Jul 25, 2011, 06:15 AM
The 11" MBA has exactly the same keyboard as the 13".

Not exactly. The keys on the function row at the top are shorter. But close enough.

striker33
Jul 25, 2011, 07:04 AM

And then there's the real reason: MacMall is selling the 256GB 13" for $100 under MSRP, and in most states they won't be collecting sales tax from you. Thats a 9% savings for me. The 3rd party reseller prices on the 11" aren't as aggressive.

Don't be so defensive. Backing up your points with false facts doesnt help either :p

myrtlebee
Jul 25, 2011, 08:20 AM
more useable screen, more useable keyboard and trackpad

What does this mean? More useable trackpad- what? How so? More useable keyboard? I still am not understanding this one. I don't agree with a "more useable screen", either, but I suppose that's really the only one truly up for debate. I would suggest those debating which to choose to go to a store - doesn't have to be an Apple Store, it could be a Best Buy for that matter, and test these people's claims. There will be no consensus on this board, that's for sure. :rolleyes:

darngooddesign
Jul 25, 2011, 08:34 AM
I wouldn't choose the 11" due to the lower res screen. I do Flash presentation work and our exhibits are all 1024x768. The 11" doesn't have resolution to work at that size, not to mention editing AS code, or any code for that matter, requires a higher res screen. While its not debatable that the higher res screen is more usable, not everyone needs that at the cost of greater portability.

questioner76
Jul 25, 2011, 09:20 AM
I had the 2010 11" and switched to the 2011 13". While I love the 13" and do not regret switching, I do find the 11" quite a bit more portable. This is a device I take to the office everyday in my briefcase and travel quite frequently with.

The 11" is significantly easier to pull out of my bag with one hand and open up to start working with. When you combine the weight and length differences (torque for those of us who still remember high school physics ;-)), it takes a lot less wrist work. I also notice the weight difference when carrying it around in a brief case.

I will say that the 13" also fits fine in my bag and it resembles more of a full size computer without the weight and thickness of my work Dell, for instance. It's been a lot easier to do more of the things I'm accustomed to doing on my work PC on it as compared to the 11", which really confined me to checking things/consuming content, and doing working for short periods of time.

KPOM
Jul 25, 2011, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't choose the 11" due to the lower res screen. I do Flash presentation work and our exhibits are all 1024x768. The 11" doesn't have resolution to work at that size, not to mention editing AS code, or any code for that matter, requires a higher res screen. While its not debatable that the higher res screen is more usable, not everyone needs that at the cost of greater portability.

I think this is one area where the full-screen mode of Lion will come in handy. You'll get access to the entire 768 vertical pixels without having to share them with the menu bar and Dock.

usw
Jul 25, 2011, 09:36 AM

You can choose 1024*768 (without stretching) in the display preferences...

The new mba 11" will be my main computer, I'm getting roughly the same computing performance as from my late 2009 13" mbp, without any heat or noise issues and it's much snappier, even when dealing with large code files.
I appreciate how lion allows you to totally bypass the windowing nightmare os x used to feel like, especially when using small displays...
The first gen mba was an overpriced engineering failure, the 2010 version not powerful enough, but this one is simply awesome.

Jezak
Jul 25, 2011, 09:39 AM
I had a 2010 13inch MBA and decided to go with a 11inch 4GB 1.6Ghz 128GB flash model. I also ordered a Mac Mini with the AMD 6630 graphics card. The Mini has not arrived yet.

My original purpose for both machines, is that the Air would serve as my primary machine and I'd use the Mini as my media hub, VM testbed, and light gaming computer. I wanted to lighten my load a bit with the stepdown to the 11inch from the 13 and honestly, I love the form factor the 11inch offers.

For the entire weekend, I used my new 11inch Air connected to my 27" ACD and around the house (Sunday morning coffee on the porch/living room). I must say, I have been completely surprised with how fluid and smooth things are. With full screen mode on the Air, I found the screen size adequate. I was working a fairly large spreadsheet without much trouble. Now, it wasn't perfect, but I didn't find myself regretting the 11inch at this point remembering that I had just come from a 13.

The real surprise was the performance of the machine while connected to the 27" ACD. I could not get over how smooth things are. Websites/forums with heavy images and gif's we're extremely smooth. With my old 13 I'd always see some type of delay (albeit brief, but annoying). I could pop in and out of spaces, launch pad etc without the annoying slight jitter my old 13 gave me. I am really, really impressed.

Now, knowing the new 13 and 11 is a new class of machine all together, this really came down to size and aesthetics. For me, the 11 fits better. Maybe I'll change my mind once I am working hard on it, but for now I am happy to have this form factor. Just my two cents.

addoh
Jul 25, 2011, 10:01 AM
I had a 2010 13inch MBA and decided to go with a 11inch 4GB 1.6Ghz 128GB flash model. I also ordered a Mac Mini with the AMD 6630 graphics card. The Mini has not arrived yet.

My original purpose for both machines, is that the Air would serve as my primary machine and I'd use the Mini as my media hub, VM testbed, and light gaming computer. I wanted to lighten my load a bit with the stepdown to the 11inch from the 13 and honestly, I love the form factor the 11inch offers.

For the entire weekend, I used my new 11inch Air connected to my 27" ACD and around the house (Sunday morning coffee on the porch/living room). I must say, I have been completely surprised with how fluid and smooth things are. With full screen mode on the Air, I found the screen size adequate. I was working a fairly large spreadsheet without much trouble. Now, it wasn't perfect, but I didn't find myself regretting the 11inch at this point remembering that I had just come from a 13.

The real surprise was the performance of the machine while connected to the 27" ACD. I could not get over how smooth things are. Websites/forums with heavy images and gif's we're extremely smooth. With my old 13 I'd always see some type of delay (albeit brief, but annoying). I could pop in and out of spaces, launch pad etc without the annoying slight jitter my old 13 gave me. I am really, really impressed.

Now, knowing the new 13 and 11 is a new class of machine all together, this really came down to size and aesthetics. For me, the 11 fits better. Maybe I'll change my mind once I am working hard on it, but for now I am happy to have this form factor. Just my two cents.

Sounds great, I'm planning to buy either 11 or 13 inch ultimate and the new Thunderbolt Cinema Display. My main concern is how this new MBA will handle the display and increased resolution.

I'm doing mostly surfing, streaming, and Lightroom 3. How does it run when you watch HD videos or edit photos on the Cinema Display? Still lag free?

Thanks in advance dude!

Jezak
Jul 25, 2011, 01:16 PM
Sounds great, I'm planning to buy either 11 or 13 inch ultimate and the new Thunderbolt Cinema Display. My main concern is how this new MBA will handle the display and increased resolution.

I'm doing mostly surfing, streaming, and Lightroom 3. How does it run when you watch HD videos or edit photos on the Cinema Display? Still lag free?

Thanks in advance dude!

I did not do any photo editing, but I didn't have any problems with a HD podcast running on half the screen (okay upper right hand quadrant) and doing coding on the other side. I know that's not as intensive as photo editing, but I was switching back and forth between heavy web browsing and an RDP session without any lag. Hope that helps.

Edit: In addition I had four other spaces going each with at least 3 or four windows in each of them and switching between those was lag free.

lionheartednyhc
Jul 25, 2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the post. I was wondering about the same thing. Im contemplating the exact same setup as you (27" iMac + 11" Air). Do you sync files back and forth, or do you keep them completely separate? Im wondering about the best way to do so.

drober30
Jul 25, 2011, 10:45 PM
The 11" or 13" comes down to personal preference and how you will be using your computer. Both are amazing computers!

I'm reading through this thread like everybody else to read peoples opinions on why they purchased the 11" or 13".

I purchased both today. The 13" was replacing my 13" MBP and the 11" was for my wife. I unboxed both to set them up and I have not set my wife's 11" MBA down!

The 11" to me is new and different than my 13" so it really feels like a new computer. I have two other iMacs in the house so my laptop is just for surfing and playing around. If I need more real estate then I can use one of the iMacs.

I think most people want to own the 11" MBA but they must decide if it fits into their daily computing lifestyle.

I will be exchanging my 13" at Best Buy for the 11" tomorrow morning.

This 11" MBA is a very sleek, ultralight computer and I'm very excited to have my first SSD computer!

splashnader
Jul 26, 2011, 02:59 AM
The 11 inch models for $1199 with the 128GB SSD must be selling like hot cakes. When I went to the Apple store to purhcase one, they only had the base model 11 inch in stock. The Apple salesperson stated that almost every customer coming into the store that day looking to buy a MBA, was only interested in buying the $1199 11 inch model.

I was really looking forward to going home with a new MBA, but I am only intersted in the 11 inch, and the 64GB of stoarge for the base model gives me some worries.