Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CHSeifert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I had the MBA 13 2010 model but just sold it.

It was a great machine, I really loved it.

But this time I wanted the 11" as it now has the proper sized SSD combined with pretty fast CPU and 4 GB RAM - and I always wanted the 11", but because of batterylife I had to get the 13".

This time I decided to get the 11" because:

1. The size just fits better on a plane table and in university on one of the small desks.

2. Weight of the 11" may pnly be 350 gram lighter than the 13", but when I have all my books, my iPad 2, iPhone 4 and a MBA, it's nice to have something almost as small as an iPad. With the 11" MBA I feel like lugging 2 iPads around and not a notebook.

3. I like the slightly sharper text I feel I get with the better & sharper 11" display

4. People just love it and always comment on how cute it looks, when they see me with it - especially the girls :eek:

5. I can almost use it like my iPad in bed holding it with one hand and reading PDF files and documents :)

6. I already own an iMac 27 Ultimate SSD with extra ACD 27" LED display, so will only use the MBA 11 at home connected to my HIFi and Sonos to listen to music and do light surfing in the living room - nothing demanding. So why not go for extreme portability, when all I and most MBA users will use it for is Pages, Numbers, Inet surf, email and some blogging ;)

Last edited:

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
the 13 has more pixels but fewer lines per inch.

I, too, chose the 11 over the 13. My reasoning was that when mobile, I wanted it to be as mobile as possible. At my desk, I will plug into my 24" 1920x1200 monitor. for me the only downside to the 11 is the shorter battery life and I decided that 4-5 hours was good enough.

misterneums

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2009
correct me if I'm wrong, but i thought the 13inch had the better display

The 13 inch has a better resolution than the 11 inch, however the 11 inch has a higher pixel density than the 13 inch version. Some people feel that it creates a more vibrant, crisp picture than the 13 inch version.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
for me the only downside to the 11 is the shorter battery life and I decided that 4-5 hours was good enough.

I hope it can at least get 4 hours of real world use. That i7 in there has muscle.

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
I had the original 13", then 1st gen 11". I was pretty sure I want to go with 11" again, but just to be sure, I wanted to hold the 13" again and see what I'd feel. It sure looked nice, but as soon as I picked it up, I knew I should go with the 11". That's what I walked out of the Apple Store with.

AZMacFan

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
You don't mind the extra scrolling with the smaller display? That combined with the keyboard feeling less cramped (I don't like having my hands hanging off it) are why I prefer the 13". And I feel it's still plenty portable.

But if the 11" is a chick magnet...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

iAAPL

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm considering an 11" model as well. I listen to the "Build and Analyze" podcast, and two weeks ago (episode #33) the host, Marco Arment, had me talked into a 13" for several good reasons. The weaker processor, lower productivity with the smaller screen, and bad battery life in the 11" were the main ones.

I think this new release solves all of these problems. The processors are core i5 across the board, with just a small difference (1.6 GHz vs. 1.7 GHz) between the two sizes. The battery life is much better than the previous gen, and are closer together. As for productivity, with the release of Lion, this issue is solved with full screen apps, better zooming in Safari, and arguably a better implementation of Spaces.

I'm going to be a college student next month, and the 11" seems ideal. I already have a 27" i7 iMac at home, so power is no issue. The 11" is more of an eye catcher, too. I also don't mind holding on to that extra $300 :). I just have to decide whether I should upgrade the ram to 4GB for $90 (student discount).

Last edited:

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I love my brand new 11"

It's so fun...I've never had fun with a Laptop haha.

1appleAday

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
good choice OP! I would go for 11" too. Been using 13" for a while and the looking for something new! I'm sure you will love your new toy!

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
MBA 11" is mobile vs MBA 13" being just more portable

I've been struggling over this decision on which size 2011 MBA would be better for me. It's the usual dilemma with the 13" boasting pretty much better specs and battery life than the 11". Then I thought, well, the 13" is ONLY 2" larger diagonally, and ONLY weighs a "little" more (and ONLY costs a "little" more).

But the reality is that for a truly mobile device, like an iPad, only the MBA 11" has a shot at being mobile. The MBA 13" is great and certainly more mobile than a conventional MBP 13", but the MBA 13" is still IMHO more of a portable, than a mobile laptop.

The MBA 11" is actually mobile.

Once I realized this, there really was no longer a comparison to be made. They are two different devices. One being mobile and the other very portable.

I have a 2011 MBP 17" which is my ultimate portable, and now my 2011 MBA 11" (on order) will be my mobile computer.

Last edited:

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I did the same thing! Going to sell my 13" Ultimate either today or tomorrow and have ordered a 11" model. I chose not to get the larger drive this time though since I have my iMac which does all of the media carrying for me, and any music I want to take with me is going to be on my phone.

I'm super excited, I've always wanted the 11" but it wasn't powerful enough compared to the 13". Now that they are using the same processor for the i7, it made my decision to sell my 13" much easier.

T

TheBMill

There's no wrong choice in this. Everyone has different reasons to choose whatever they want.

To me, the 11 inch represents the reason macbook airs exist in the first place. The 13 inch is fine, but doesn't have the wow factor that the 11 inch does. I was VERY concerned that I would have trouble with it being too small, etc. But, I absolutely didn't have that problem. For anyone using a macbook air as a secondary computer, something to have that's ultra mobile, etc. I can't recommend the 11 inch enough. I have a desktop and a macbook air and they're both dropboxed- so everything I do is always in sync and backed up. I use the desktop for when I'm home and need a big screen to and processing power to edit on. But, for work on the road, writing in cafes + libraries, and for lounging around the house and casually surfing - the 11 inch is amazing.

The 11 inch is also the reason I would never own an ipad. Some have joked it's the "ipad pro".

CHSeifert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I did the same thing! Going to sell my 13" Ultimate either today or tomorrow and have ordered a 11" model. I chose not to get the larger drive this time though since I have my iMac which does all of the media carrying for me, and any music I want to take with me is going to be on my phone.

I'm super excited, I've always wanted the 11" but it wasn't powerful enough compared to the 13". Now that they are using the same processor for the i7, it made my decision to sell my 13" much easier.

I feel exactly like you do - I have all my 5 starred music on my iPhone 4 32 GB and my all time favorites on my iPod Nano Touch 16 GB.

I have an iMac 27 Ultimate SSD with an extra Apple LED Cinema 27" Thunder display at home - and have all my Apple Lossless 1 TB music collection on my TimeCapsule - using my Sonos ZP-90 and iPad 2/MBA 11 as remote control/playlist controller - so simply can't see why I need more than 128 GB SSD on my MBA 11"

I didn't buy my MBA to edit video, create webdesign or edit photos - this is what I use my IMac 27 and ACD 27 for.

I bought my MBA for taking notes at University, light photo showing/size editing, emailing, blogging and as a playlist controller for my Sonos and HIFI system when at home.

I also have the iPad 2 - and even though one could say that the MBA 11 and the iPad 2 serve the same needs, I do agree to a certain extent - but what I got my MBA 11 for was for extensive note taking in Pages and spreadsheet creating/editing in Numbers, where I feel my iPad is not ideal enough.

If I ever needed to edit video or do webdesign on the fly, I would buy a MacBook Pro 15" with 1680X1050 with a fast SATA III SSD.

For what I currently do on the fly - the MBA 11 is the PERFECT choice for me currently :apple:

There's no wrong choice in this. Everyone has different reasons to choose whatever they want.

To me, the 11 inch represents the reason macbook airs exist in the first place. The 13 inch is fine, but doesn't have the wow factor that the 11 inch does. I was VERY concerned that I would have trouble with it being too small, etc. But, I absolutely didn't have that problem. For anyone using a macbook air as a secondary computer, something to have that's ultra mobile, etc. I can't recommend the 11 inch enough. I have a desktop and a macbook air and they're both dropboxed- so everything I do is always in sync and backed up. I use the desktop for when I'm home and need a big screen to and processing power to edit on. But, for work on the road, writing in cafes + libraries, and for lounging around the house and casually surfing - the 11 inch is amazing.

The 11 inch is also the reason I would never own an ipad. Some have joked it's the "ipad pro".

I agree - only reason my MBA 11 is NOT the iPad Pro is the batterylife on the unit, which more seems like an iPad Light ;)

I have both the iPad 2 and the MBA 11 - because they complement eachother very nice and together they still don't weigh more than a light notebook and I get the excellent bettery life on the iPad combined with the portability of the MBA 11 for notetaking :)

Last edited by a moderator:

detholm

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2009
everyone seems to have 100 different macs

I only own 1 MBP its a early 2010 model core duo it was the highest upgrade i could get i am thinking about selling this and getting the 13'' i7. Is the computer going to be slower? it will function as my only computer as i am just out of college and poor any advise? should i just keep my MBP?

blowabs

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
BK, NYC
OP..you are just a tad wrong. [I thought i would get the 11", till I got to the Apple store and saw it] I will be using my MBA to do more than search. I will be running PS and LR to do digital files in the field. The 13" fits me best. Also, I have an iMAC 27" and iPad and this fits right in the middle.. :)
..but to each his own..
Apple is great....

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
OP..you are just a tad wrong. [I thought i would get the 11", till I got to the Apple store and saw it] I will be using my MBA to do more than search. I will be running PS and LR to do digital files in the field. The 13" fits me best. Also, I have an iMAC 27" and iPad and this fits right in the middle.. :)
..but to each his own..
Apple is great....

Yes, no way I can live with the 11". I think the choice is fantastic though.

CHSeifert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Just got some good and some bad news :eek: :)

I just got the chance to buy an MBA through work - which is good news :)
So my plan is to cancel and return the MBA 11 I just bought.

Problem is that they only offer the 13" MBA 2011 edition, and only the base i5 128 GB MBA and the Ultimate i7 256 GB MBA - and NO MBA 11 at all :eek:

I asked them if it would be possible to exchange or swap to get the MBA 11, but this can't be done - so I'll just have to live with the big clumsy MBA 13 Ultimate instead of the sweet little MBA 11, I hope I'll be Okay :p

So no MBA 11 for me :(

You know what - I'll sell the darn MBA 13 Ulti to my brother and then buy the MBA 11 Ultimate :)

Last edited:

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
Just got some good and some bad news :eek: :)

I just got the chance to buy an MBA through work - which is good news :)
So my plan is to cancel and return the MBA 11 I just bought.

Problem is that they only offer the 13" MBA 2011 edition, and only the base i5 128 GB MBA and the Ultimate i7 256 GB MBA - and NO MBA 11 at all :eek:

I asked them if it would be possible to exchange or swap to get the MBA 11, but this can't be done - so I'll just have to live with the big clumsy MBA 13 Ultimate instead of the sweet little MBA 11, I hope I'll be Okay :p

So no MBA 11 for me :(

JERK! You go through this thread and all the reasons the 11 is better and you end up getting the 13" I call shenanigans!!!! :mad::rolleyes::):D

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
5. I can almost use it like my iPad in bed holding it with one hand and reading PDF files and documents :)

I was on the fence about whether to get an iPad versus a macbook air 11...and this one sealed the deal for me... going for an iPad. Just makes more sense to hold it like a book since I do a lot of reading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.