PDA

View Full Version : I think I want a G5

Tydog07
Jul 24, 2011, 12:11 AM
So I've recently become interested in the PowerPC's, and the G5 in particular because of the way it looks like a Mac Pro, so cool! I see that these can be had for under $200, but they do have their fair share of problems, including the PSU and water-cooling leaks, not to mention the blown motherboards. I see one listed locally on craigslist for $150 that is 5 years old and has a blown logic board, I read online that the capacitors blow on these things and that the capacitors can be replaced instead of buying a new logic board for $$$$$! I really would like to play around with another back, even though I have a 2011 2.2 i7 at my disposal. Is there a buyers guide or anything I should look at when buying a G5? I looked into buying an early Mac Pro, but I have less than $200 to spend. What model should I look at? I want something air-cooled I believe, but I also want it to be quick, 2.3 Dual Core? I'll be doing some web browsing and light editing on the system if I buy one. What is the latest operating system that will work with a G5? Can you hack snow leopard onto it?

MBP13
Jul 24, 2011, 12:17 AM
Eh, the G5's have been the most problematic Macs in the last 10 years. I had an iMac G5 and had get rid of it because it had issues (bad power supply unit, etc.) I know many over here say avoid it, but there's nothing wrong with taking a chance.

Tydog07
Jul 24, 2011, 12:19 AM
Eh, the G5's have been the most problematic Macs in the last 10 years. I had an iMac G5 and had get rid of it because it had issues (bad power supply unit, etc.) I know many over here say avoid it, but there's nothing wrong with taking a chance.

I feel you, and according to this forum, they really do suck, but I just like them for some reason. It'd be nice to have another intel mac, but they are too expensive for me right now.

VanneDC
Jul 24, 2011, 12:43 AM
dont believe everything you hear mate, ive had 5 PM G5's from all sorts of places and all sorts of specs, and NONE have died on me yet, not have i had any problems with any of them. I currently still own 2, and they are just going dandy.

I currently have a DC 2.3 and also a DP 2.7 both are going great. I also had a Quad G5 and didnt have any dramas with that one either.

I know the stats say otherwise, but you can get good PM G5 boxes.

Dont waste your time trying to fix a busted up one from CL, buy a good working one. Anyways, just my 5 cents.

Currently ripping "the Switch" on this PM DC that i am using as my main nerd box as i am typing this.

reddrag0n
Jul 24, 2011, 01:01 AM
I have a modified G5 and this beast is going strong. It is my main email, internet, youtube, movie, music and *old gaming* computer. Yes, old gaming meaning Diablo 2, Starcraft and such. Only thing i really had to do with this was swap out a bad power supply and trade up the dead liquid cooling for a couple of regular heatsinks.

cocacolakid
Jul 24, 2011, 01:07 AM
You should be able to find a good working one in the $150-200 price range easily, as long as you stay with the 2.3ghz or less models. And by all means, avoid the liquid cooled versions, which are the ones above 2.3 ghz.

The 2.3ghz model had the fewest problems.

Nameci
Jul 24, 2011, 07:58 AM
I recommend the air-cooled 2.3GHz dual core, not because of the speed or anything else, but because of the PCIe expansion slots. There are some on ebay that is declared as none working, as long as it boots to the folder icon you are good.

zen.state
Jul 24, 2011, 08:20 AM
Let me see if I understand..

He wants a G5 tower because he likes how it looks..

He asked if you can "hack" Snow Leopard to run on it..

End result.. massive fail.

Nameci
Jul 24, 2011, 08:22 AM
Yes epic for the SL.

Cox Orange
Jul 24, 2011, 09:58 AM
I do not want to offend anybody, but can't we just make a banner or a sticky on top of the PowerPC Forum that explains that its about complete different architecures? (Honestly, I am not saying this in a pissed manner)

I mean, you can't blame somebody for being uninformed, if he comes from an iphone or a PC an is quiet young, but it would save some space here in the forum.

zen.state
Jul 24, 2011, 10:07 AM
I do not want to offend anybody, but can't we just make a banner or a sticky on top of the PowerPC Forum that explains that its about complete different architecures? (Honestly, I am not saying this in a pissed manner)

I mean, you can't blame somebody for being uninformed, if he comes from an iphone or a PC an is quiet young, but it would save some space here in the forum.

What we all need to really do is start just posting url's to google.com and saying nothing else.

All the core PowerPC regulars here have already answered these questions a staggering amount of times. I have no interest in writing the same things over and over just because someone doesn't know how to search this forum or google. I'm sure the rest here don't want to either.

Cox Orange
Jul 24, 2011, 10:18 AM
ok, that would do.

Jethryn Freyman
Jul 24, 2011, 11:28 PM
G5 iMac = AVOID. Bad capacitors on their logic boards.
Water cooled G5 Power Mac = AVOID. They leak.

The leaves the remaining G5 Power Macs. Some had bad logic boards, some had bad power supplies. If you can pick up a cheap working model now though, those problems SHOULD have shown themselves.

I just bought a dual 1.8GHz model, it works great, zero problems so far, but just because I know what problems other G5's have had back when they were released, I don't yet quite feel as confident of it as I did with my old G4.

Jethryn Freyman
Jul 24, 2011, 11:32 PM
Also for under $200 you should be able to get a WORKING model, don't waste your time with anything listed as faulty.

I'd also recommend you avoid the early single core single processor models (they are slower than the dual processor and dual core models, but probably cost about the same.)

Finally, for Leopard (Snow Leopard won't run), you want at least 1GB of RAM for things to rum smoothly. That's the bare minimum. If you can afford it, buy more RAM (4GB is probably the sweet spot for a G5.)

reddrag0n
Jul 25, 2011, 12:50 AM
If you can get one for under $200 and it runs, then go for it.

Myself, the DP 2.5 GHz one i got had a minor leak issue and a clogged rad. that was the first one to get ripped apart and i was going to make the watercooling a little more modern. this machine cost me $20.

The second G5 i got my hands on was a problematic DP 2.0 GHz. this one cost me $125.

The issue i found out with the second one was the PSU was faulty.

so after some reading and such, i decided to combine the best of both machines to make a killer G5.

moved the good PSU to the 2 ghz model and moved the 2.5 ghz cpu's to the 2 ghz model. left the watercooling in the dust and used the heatsinks.

put in all the ram i could fine (3.5 gb) and my sata drives that were in my mdd and running an ati 9600 xt.

i have had no issues with this machine and she is purring along nicely like a kitten.

So if you want a G5 for nostalgic PPC programs, then go for it. If you want something a little newer, then i would say hold out for a cheap mac pro. unfortunately, from the prices i have seen, they are still asking for $1000 for a 2006 model.

VanneDC
Jul 25, 2011, 01:19 AM
RD mate, did you have any issues using the 2.5ghz cpus on the 2.0ghz motherboard? I thought they were cpu specific even though the trays are the same??

Tydog07
Jul 26, 2011, 01:45 PM
You should be able to find a good working one in the $150-200 price range easily, as long as you stay with the 2.3ghz or less models. And by all means, avoid the liquid cooled versions, which are the ones above 2.3 ghz.

The 2.3ghz model had the fewest problems.

Yup, I'll avoid the water-cooled G5's, it looks like the 2.3 is a popular choice, I'll start to keep my eye out.

Let me see if I understand..

He wants a G5 tower because he likes how it looks..

He asked if you can "hack" Snow Leopard to run on it..

End result.. massive fail.

Design is important to me, sorry, but it's true. I only asked if Snow Leopard could run on it because I did a google search and it didn't look like there was any support for it, so I just wanted to verify.

You couldn't have said it any better, I am uninformed about PowerPC's and the Apple/Mac history so I clicked on this forum in hopes of finding a few stickies about some information regarding the G5, I didn't see anything. I looked through the 3 pages of this sub-forum and then decided to make a new thread. This sub-forum is a little slow anyway, so I didn't think it would matter. I just wanted an answer, and I got it. Feel free to make a sticky, it would be immensily helpful.

What we all need to really do is start just posting url's to google.com and saying nothing else.

All the core PowerPC regulars here have already answered these questions a staggering amount of times. I have no interest in writing the same things over and over just because someone doesn't know how to search this forum or google. I'm sure the rest here don't want to either.

Again, step up and write a sticky.

Also for under $200 you should be able to get a WORKING model, don't waste your time with anything listed as faulty.

I'd also recommend you avoid the early single core single processor models (they are slower than the dual processor and dual core models, but probably cost about the same.)

Finally, for Leopard (Snow Leopard won't run), you want at least 1GB of RAM for things to rum smoothly. That's the bare minimum. If you can afford it, buy more RAM (4GB is probably the sweet spot for a G5.)

Yeah that is what I'm hearing, I can find a good running model for under $200, and I'll do a RAM upgrade so that Leopard will run smoothly. I'll try to find a 2.3ghz. I won't buy a single core processor. How do these machines run anyhow, do they run most app's and are smooth? Basic internet browsing, video editing, streaming HD video? Is there anything else that I should look into in the sub $350 range, a used mac mini perhaps?

zen.state
Jul 26, 2011, 01:58 PM
Step up and make a sticky? You say that as if it's my responsibility to help you learn what you could just search the forums for and see the same help already given to others.

I don't mind helping people at all but not with things they could find out in a 5 sec google or forum search. People need to practice a certain level of self reliance.

People that resolve everything in life by simply asking others fill the world with redundancy.

VanneDC
Jul 26, 2011, 05:09 PM
Streaming hd video is a no go on the g5. Anything else works fine. Try and get a pcie (not agp) pm g5 any of the dual core non water cooled models are great.

Might wanna add up the parts you'll be wanting to add to the base sale as you may find your looking at close to a Mac pro 1,1 when all tricked out.

Leopard goes for around 120us
You'll need a fast hard drive, ram
And if you play games, another hunge for a vid card.

Just do some basic sums first to know what you want.

Cox Orange
Jul 27, 2011, 10:12 AM
Yup, I'll avoid the water-cooled G5's, it looks like the 2.3 is a popular choice, (...)
Design is important to me, sorry, but it's true.
Sorry, why then are you asking for a mac mini????? IF you will be happy with a mini, then please buy an Intel mini. I am very sure you will be more confident with it.
Do you have enough "knowledge" to distinguish the 2,3GHz DP (Dual Processor) from the 2,3GHz DC (Dual Core)? If you stay with the G5 then search for the DC, but not all people on EBay say "DC", so you will have to know how to distinguish them.
(...)I clicked on this forum in hopes of finding a few stickies about some information regarding the G5, I didn't see anything. I looked through the 3 pages of this sub-forum and then decided to make a new thread. (...)
You could have found this page, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1091765 (well somehow google found it in the archive, so it might not have shown up in this subforum, but Google would have found it "FAQ POWERMAC site:macrumors.com")
(...)and I'll do a RAM upgrade so that Leopard will run smoothly. I'll try to find a 2.3ghz.
search the prices for ram first. Tiger is more efficient on PowerPCs, you can run Leopard, if you need a more modern internet support, but then again, if you need a more modern internet support, your better of with an Intel machine
I won't buy a single core processor. How do these machines run anyhow, do they run most app's and are smooth? Basic internet browsing, video editing, streaming HD video? Is there anything else that I should look into in the sub $350 range, a used mac mini perhaps?
Why bother? If you need HD-streaming and suggest yourself a mac mini, then go with Intel Mac mini.
If you are planing to buy a second graphics card, it will be more expensive and the price might justify a higher priced mac mini.
On PowerPC Macs you will have problems with watching youtube videos (240p is just working, but if you do not want to bother about work arounds, discussed on the forum, then it is easier to buy an Intel mac mini, that will play flash better).

ARE THERE ANY APPLICATIONS EXCLUSIVE FOR POWERPCs YOU WISH TO USE?
If you do not mind the risk of selling it again, then buy a G5 and try yourself, if it does, what you want. Maybe you will be happy, I do not know... If not, sell it and reinvest in an Intel mini.

ForI
Jul 27, 2011, 01:12 PM
I have a Dual Core 2.3 if you want it.

Tydog07
Jul 27, 2011, 05:11 PM
Sorry, why then are you asking for a mac mini????? IF you will be happy with a mini, then please buy an Intel mini. I am very sure you will be more confident with it.
Do you have enough "knowledge" to distinguish the 2,3GHz DP (Dual Processor) from the 2,3GHz DC (Dual Core)? If you stay with the G5 then search for the DC, but not all people on EBay say "DC", so you will have to know how to distinguish them.

You could have found this page, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1091765 (well somehow google found it in the archive, so it might not have shown up in this subforum, but Google would have found it "FAQ POWERMAC site:macrumors.com")

search the prices for ram first. Tiger is more efficient on PowerPCs, you can run Leopard, if you need a more modern internet support, but then again, if you need a more modern internet support, your better of with an Intel machine

Why bother? If you need HD-streaming and suggest yourself a mac mini, then go with Intel Mac mini.
If you are planing to buy a second graphics card, it will be more expensive and the price might justify a higher priced mac mini.
On PowerPC Macs you will have problems with watching youtube videos (240p is just working, but if you do not want to bother about work arounds, discussed on the forum, then it is easier to buy an Intel mac mini, that will play flash better).

ARE THERE ANY APPLICATIONS EXCLUSIVE FOR POWERPCs YOU WISH TO USE?
If you do not mind the risk of selling it again, then buy a G5 and try yourself, if it does, what you want. Maybe you will be happy, I do not know... If not, sell it and reinvest in an Intel mini.

I did see that FAQ although it didn't resolve all my questions, I guess that a G5 won't do it for me then, I'll see if I can find one for cheap, but other than that, I'll stick with my Macbook Pro.

Nameci
Jul 27, 2011, 05:15 PM
You are better off with your MBP... most people don't like PowerPC's because of a lot of reasons. We love them, and we find fun and enjoyment using these "old" tech than with the newer ones. If you are just a day to day user and not really inclined to knowing every bits and pieces of the PPC macs, then PPC macs are not for you, imho. Most may find it lacking the grunt and the speed, but hey it is "different".

zen.state
Jul 27, 2011, 05:50 PM
You are better off with your MBP... most people don't like PowerPC's because of a lot of reasons. We love them, and we find fun and enjoyment using these "old" tech than with the newer ones. If you are just a day to day user and not really inclined to knowing every bits and pieces of the PPC macs, then PPC macs are not for you, imho. Most may find it lacking the grunt and the speed, but hey it is "different".

Good way of explaining the PowerPC situation in the modern world.

I will do it through an analogy:

PowerPC Macs are to the computer world what classic cars are to car lovers. They can easily become a money pit and you need to know how to maintain their old parts. We use them out of nostalgia and because they really don't make them like that anymore.

The PowerPC era at Apple was one where the computers meant a lot more than they do now. Back when it mattered what hardware you have in it. That mentality is almost totally gone at Apple it seems. They just choose the fastest whatever now and worry later about how reliable it is.

PowerPC are not at all the right computer choice for someone that just wants a pretty computer to do modern net stuff.

Liquinn
Jul 27, 2011, 05:56 PM
Are these worth investing in now?

Nameci
Jul 27, 2011, 06:51 PM
For us PPC lovers they are worth the investment, the effort and the "love".

KurtangleTN
Jul 27, 2011, 10:54 PM
I wonder how much the G5's case has to do with the value. Since the current top dog Mac Pro still uses practically the same case design it has that sort of appeal.

I can't wait to the day that the G5 becomes practically the same sort of bargain basement pricing as the G4s. Then their ridiculous reliability rating won't be so bad when you can buy part mule machines for $50.

eBay is getting there but the weight of the machines will never allow that and people on Craigslist (in my area) seem to overvalue them by 2-3x eBay prices.

Cox Orange
Jul 28, 2011, 07:52 AM
... I guess that a G5 won't do it for me then, I'll see if I can find one for cheap, but other than that, I'll stick with my Macbook Pro.
I don't want seem harsh.
You could still buy a G5 case and put a mini inside ;) *jokingly*

Titanium81
Jul 30, 2011, 02:06 AM
Aren't these getting fairly dated?

Do the new MacBook Airs scream past these G5's?

Tydog07
Jul 30, 2011, 08:26 AM

I'd like to know the geek bench on the dual 2.3 G5.

zen.state
Jul 30, 2011, 08:41 AM
I'd like to know the geek bench on the dual 2.3 G5.

About 2000-2100. I found this out simply by googling "G5 2.3GHz geekbench". Please explain to me how you can turn your Mac on and post on a forum but not know how to use google?

There is a giant internet of info out there. You really don't need us for this stuff.

bizzle
Jul 30, 2011, 09:01 AM
About 2000-2100. I found this out simply by googling "G5 2.3GHz geekbench". Please explain to me how you can turn your Mac on and post on a forum but not know how to use google?

There is a giant internet of info out there. You really don't need us for this stuff.

I'm a prick and all too (see the sig) but do you EVER stop?

zen.state
Jul 30, 2011, 09:13 AM
I'm a prick and all too (see the sig) but do you EVER stop?

No because the lack of self reliance never stops. It's just tough love man. I respect them for having an interest in older Macs but one would think that would come with a certain level of effort for learning.

There are hundreds of thousands of possible legitimate questions that would be 100% valid and worth asking. None of those are really ever being asked. It's all stuff that there is already a wealth of information on.

Not only is it super easy to search the internet but there are also a heck of a lot more answers waiting out there already than we could ever give anyone in one thread on one forum.

MacSince1990
Jul 30, 2011, 05:48 PM
So I've recently become interested in the PowerPC's, and the G5 in particular because of the way it looks like a Mac Pro, so cool!

Actually... the Mac Pro looks like a G5, given that the G5 case design predates the Mac Pro by four years.

I see that these can be had for under $200, but they do have their fair share of problems, including the PSU and water-cooling leaks, not to mention the blown motherboards. I see one listed locally on craigslist for $150 that is 5 years old and has a blown logic board, I read online that the capacitors blow on these things and that the capacitors can be replaced instead of buying a new logic board for $$$$$!

Yeah. I just bought a Quad G5 for $150, no HDD I really would like or power cord... I finally got everything (power cord, HDD, corrected jumper settings to SATA/150, realized it was panicing on a Tiger Install because it needs 10.4.3 or later, so I got Leopard and it finally worked....)..... and it shuts down because it overheats under load. I can only run it reliably under "Power Saving Mode" (low settings), which makes it run at literally half speed. Even disabling 2 of the cores doesn't fix the issue.

to play around with another back, even though I have a 2011 2.2 i7 at my disposal. Is there a buyers guide or anything I should look at when buying a G5? I looked into buying an early Mac Pro, but I have less than $200 to spend. What model should I look at?

Probably a DC 2.3.

I want something air-cooled I believe, but I also want it to be quick, 2.3 Dual Core? I'll be doing some web browsing and light editing on the system if I buy one. What is the latest operating system that will work with a G5?

Can you hack snow leopard onto it?

Yes, if you remove the G5 motherboard, CPUs, video card and optical drive and replace them with Mac Pro Innards. Or make a Hackintosh. Or if you run Virtual PC on your G5, then run PearPC to emulate a Mac on your VPC.

(No)

MacSince1990
Jul 30, 2011, 05:50 PM

It's called delegating.

adcx64
Jul 30, 2011, 10:46 PM
It's called delegating.

But it's not necessary. I'm sure the he could manage to do a Google search without any help.

Tydog07
Jul 30, 2011, 10:51 PM
But it's not necessary. I'm sure the he could manage to do a Google search without any help.

l m g t f y.c o m/

Surprised you smart @sses haven't given me that yet. You're right guys, I can google everything and get pretty decent answers, sometimes I can't though. Regarding the geek bench question, I posted a question on a thread that is already made and I just wanted to add another post. Is it that harmful, I think some of us are forgetting what a "discussion forum" means, not just a website of FAQ's. Again, my apologies, it could've have been found elsewhere on the internet.

MacSince1990
Jul 31, 2011, 11:52 AM

I know, that was a joke lol.

Jethryn Freyman
Jul 31, 2011, 11:54 PM

Not as are as graphics performance goes (depending on what graphics card the Power Mac has of course.)

MacSince1990
Aug 1, 2011, 05:39 PM

They scream past the Dual G5s, yeah. The Quad would give it a run for its money... and destroy it in graphics intensive applications with a decent card, esp. a Quadro. Everything seems to be optimized for Intel these days, honestly. And it doesn't hurt that the Intel CPUs have loads of cache, and on-board memory controllers.

Still, a dual G5 (even a quad) will be less expensive than an Air... and infinitely more expandable.

aliensporebomb
Aug 1, 2011, 09:21 PM
Honestly I wouldn't waste the money. I was the biggest G5 fanboy around and my G5 2.5 was the highest performing G5 2.5 in Geekbench's list yet sadly the machine is now defunct and sitting about 100 miles north of me at a friends computer lab - he was going to try and make it work again but it took a power hit when a transformer blew on the pole near me and it was really brittle after that and eventually just wouldn't boot anymore.

I'm running a Corei7 iMac and the only area where the G5 had an advantage was the I/O (direct SATA for the drives). I miss it but I don't miss the headaches (the coolant leak that happened about 1.5 years into owning it wasn't much fun and the stain in our hardwood floors wasn't fun either).