PDA

View Full Version : Core i7 vs i5 - noticeable??

mattchiro
Jul 24, 2011, 06:13 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Does the upgrade to core i7 make a noticeable difference for users surfin the web, coding and occasional photoshop use??

MacRumorUser
Jul 24, 2011, 06:40 AM
Sorry there are many many threads here with same topic. Please in future use the search feature and use one of the existing threads as its very time consuming for people to answer the same question over and over.

Basically the synopsis is for light photoshop, not editing large number of images or very large images with many many layers & filters, then yes i5 is great, but if you are really pushing photoshop or other pro apps the extra i7 boost would be beneficial.

This is for the 11" 1.6 i5 v 1.8 i7, the 13" 1.7 i5 is a lot closer to the 1.8 i7 and the difference would be far less noticeable even if you are pushing full CPU load over the 11" configs.

For your needs - the i5 is the better option on either model.

Apple Expert
Jul 24, 2011, 10:10 AM
I7 is faster, but not by much. photoshop is faster, but only by a few seconds at the most.

Samsumac
Jul 24, 2011, 01:29 PM
For everyday tasks for 95% of its users, the difference between i5 and i7 is negligible, if it even exists. As always Apple was quite mean in not allowing the 128Gb model to be upgraded to the i7 , but the only difference between the two cpus is 1 mb more L3 cache.
I find this fixation with Photoshop performance a bit too much.
Most people will be browsing the web,listening to music, writing documents and watching movies..

Apple Expert
Jul 24, 2011, 01:32 PM
For everyday tasks for 95% of its users, the difference between i5 and i7 is negligible, if it even exists. As always Apple was quite mean in not allowing the 128Gb model to be upgraded to the i7 , but the only difference between the two cpus is 1 mb more L3 cache.
I find this fixation with Photoshop performance a bit too much.
Most people will be browsing the web,listening to music, writing documents and watching movies..

There is a speed difference, but its up to the user to decide. I now see a difference in speed with my i7 over my wife's i5. Problem seems to be that the computer needs to index itself. New hard drive and new OS. It will be stable guys. Just takes time. Be patient. I was all about giving up the i7 for i5. Now that it's working like it should be, no regrets.

Vihzel
Jul 24, 2011, 01:36 PM
For the vast vast majority of people, the performance difference will not be noticeable. Unless you have them side by side, you're not going to notice anything.

ZBoater
Jul 24, 2011, 01:39 PM
Guys, you can say there is no difference all you want, but if that were the case Intel would only release one version, not two. That many people can't TELL the difference is a whole other matter. With a SSD and the internet connection what it is, the processor can have little impact on the web browsing experience or email downloading experience. They seem to be the same because they are going as fast as the rest of the system can handle it. But when you need the extra "uuumph" to encode a video file or whatever, the i7 will have it where the i5 won't.

Whether you want to pay $90 for that or not is a personal choice. The i5 is not a bad choice. It is a good choice. The i7 is just better... :p

LostSoul80
Jul 24, 2011, 01:40 PM
The MBA makes a great machine for coding (unsless you need much rendering) and even for light Photoshop. The difference between i5 and i7, in my opinion, is not really noticeable, and if surfing the web, coding and light photo editing is what you'd use it for, then go for the i5.

Vihzel
Jul 24, 2011, 01:42 PM
But when you need the extra "uuumph" to encode a video file or whatever, the i7 will have it where the i5 won't.

A few seconds worth?

ZBoater
Jul 24, 2011, 01:49 PM
A few seconds worth?

Yes. If a few seconds worth it not worth it, buy a previous gen Air with a C2D. I mean, how valuable is your time?

For the $90 difference I find the whole argument amusing. The whole battery drain, heat, fan, blah, blah, blah. Fact is i7 > i5. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble. It may not be by much, and that difference may not be worth $90 to some, but no one ever complained about their computer being too fast. A quick read of Intel's site on the differences between the i5 and i7 should put this discussion to rest.

But it won't. Otherwise, what fun would THAT be? :p

Vihzel
Jul 24, 2011, 01:58 PM
A quick read of Intel's site on the differences between the i5 and i7 should put this discussion to rest.

But it won't. Otherwise, what fun would THAT be? :p

I thought we were talking about real world performance. You won't find that on Intel's website. :)

ZBoater
Jul 24, 2011, 02:02 PM
I thought we were talking about real world performance. You won't find that on Intel's website. :)

Bwahahahaha. Touché. ;)

Apple Expert
Jul 24, 2011, 02:03 PM
The MBA makes a great machine for coding (unsless you need much rendering) and even for light Photoshop. The difference between i5 and i7, in my opinion, is not really noticeable, and if surfing the web, coding and light photo editing is what you'd use it for, then go for the i5.

There is a difference. Not a HUGE difference, but you can tell the speed bump. If you feel 90 is too much for that upgrade, then i5 is best for you. As one who owns both machines, I can see i7 being faster of the two. Some might argue that, but until you have both machines in your home and in front of you it's hard to determine that. On paper is one thing, but hands on is another.

JR1993
Jul 24, 2011, 03:25 PM
There is a difference. Not a HUGE difference, but you can tell the speed bump. If you feel 90 is too much for that upgrade, then i5 is best for you. As one who owns both machines, I can see i7 being faster of the two. Some might argue that, but until you have both machines in your home and in front of you it's hard to determine that. On paper is one thing, but hands on is another.

When you say you see it being faster, what are you using the laptop for? Is this only when doing CPU intensive tasks, or is there an overall faster feel?
Thanks

Apple Expert
Jul 24, 2011, 03:36 PM
When you say you see it being faster, what are you using the laptop for? Is this only when doing CPU intensive tasks, or is there an overall faster feel?
Thanks

Overall it feels faster. It is a faster CPU vs. i5. Apps, boot up, importing and exporting are faster. Faster by alot? No not really. Anywhere from 1-4 seconds. Depending on task. That's just from what I've used. But exporting and importing greatly vary. When I imported my photo library, it was done on i7 but still processing on i5. Long enough to noticed the difference in speed. Now were only talking about a $90 upgrade from i5 256gb. My opinion its a good deal. If it were double that I would say skip it and just stick with i5.

JR1993
Jul 24, 2011, 03:56 PM
Overall it feels faster. It is a faster CPU vs. i5. Apps, boot up, importing and exporting are faster. Faster by alot? No not really. Anywhere from 1-4 seconds. Depending on task. That's just from what I've used. But exporting and importing greatly vary. When I imported my photo library, it was done on i7 but still processing on i5. Long enough to noticed the difference in speed. Now were only talking about a $90 upgrade from i5 256gb. My opinion its a good deal. If it were double that I would say skip it and just stick with i5.

Ok thanks for that. Im still wondering whether its worth it for me.... As far as im aware, I dont import and export a lot. However, with it overall seeming faster, i think I will maybe go with it.

commerceguild
Jul 24, 2011, 04:23 PM
Very interesting discussion. But in Europe, the upgrade from i5 to i7 costs 150€ thats exact 215 US$. What do you mean? Is it worth the upgrade?

MattZani
Jul 24, 2011, 04:25 PM
Its £86 in the UK, I'm wondering if its worth it when I see about upgrading my model to the 256Gb.

dugbug
Jul 24, 2011, 04:26 PM

You are right its not a huge difference. Its also not a medium difference for the 13" :) I can respect you have both but lets go beyond both onesy-twosy benchmark runs posted here and there, and your one personal experience to look at a large summary of reports taken as a whole.

Basically (assuming we are taking the 13") you get a 0.1 GHz speed jump (1.8 vs 1.7 GHz), an additional 1 MB of L3 cache (4MB vs 3MB), and slightly higher turbo boost upper limit (2.9 GHz vs 2.7 GHz). (reference: http://www.intel.com/consumer/products/processors/comparison-chart.htm make sure you compare the i7-2677M and i5-2557M)

Regardless of i5 vs i7, you are already faster than almost the entire macbook lineup of '10 (if you live by geekbench) so noone should feel particularly snubbed. If you are, please give me your Air :)

You see in this chart two vertical bars right next to each other. The left one is the 1.7GHz i5, the right one is 1.8 GHz i7.
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/chart/show/441841

Now Lion may be playing games in the background and whatnot, so lets assume of all of these runs, we can just eyeball a poor man's median by the most dense of the vertical groupings and I get i7 at 6300 (ish), and the i5 at 5879 (ish). Lets assume the 32-bit and 64-bit are a wash because the chart mixes them and I am fantastically lazy.

Percentage difference: 7%.

commerceguild
Jul 24, 2011, 04:34 PM
Ok I see 7% performance for 150€ (1500€ i5 vs. 1650 i7). I think I'll take the 13" with i5.

Especially when I saw this - it's a Macbook Air i5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iS7pBOFz8A

dugbug
Jul 24, 2011, 04:48 PM
Ok I see 7% performance for 150€ (1500€ i5 vs. 1650 i7). I think I'll take the 13" with i5.

Especially when I saw this - it's a Macbook Air i5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iS7pBOFz8A

wow! $215 (at today's conversion rate) for the i7 update! No question I would hit the i5 button in your case.

Apple Expert
Jul 24, 2011, 04:58 PM
For some it will vary if they fell it's worth it.

Today knave a new dilemma. As you know I have a MBA i7. I paid about $1765 after sales tax. Well I just received a $300 amazon gift card. Amazon sells the i5 for 1595. So after gift card I'm looking to pay about 1300. My situation is pay for i5 at 1300 or i7 for 1765. Those would be my final cost. I do love my i7, but that's a big swing in price. What should one do? Sorry to go off topic.

Peter Harrison
Jul 24, 2011, 04:59 PM
Its £86 in the UK, I'm wondering if its worth it when I see about upgrading my model to the 256Gb.

Apple have got me in a tight spot. For only £86 it's a no-brainer for me, even if the speed difference isn't huge. That's not a lot more for a better processor. But that assumes the consumer wants 256GB. I'm really only wanting the 128GB. The upgrade to i7 seems a decent deal, but only if you already wanted the 256GB. For me, the upgraded storage space would only be a consequence of wanting the i7. Therefore the difference is closer to £300. Since the storage isn't essential, I have to ask if the processor speed difference is worth £300. I really don't think so.

But if you need that extra space onboard, might as well I say. If you can afford it.

ZBoater
Jul 24, 2011, 05:07 PM
For some it will vary if they fell it's worth it.

Today knave a new dilemma. As you know I have a MBA i7. I paid about $1765 after sales tax. Well I just received a $300 amazon gift card. Amazon sells the i5 for 1595. So after gift card I'm looking to pay about 1300. My situation is pay for i5 at 1300 or i7 for 1765. Those would be my final cost. I do love my i7, but that's a big swing in price. What should one do? Sorry to go off topic.

Keep the i7 and use the gift card for accessories... :D

Apple Expert
Jul 24, 2011, 05:08 PM
Keep the i7 and use the gift card for accessories... :D

I know I should. I'm a greedy mofo. Lol. But my wife said she wants a new camera. Dam there goes my hope. :rolleyes:

dugbug
Jul 24, 2011, 05:14 PM
I know I should. I'm a greedy mofo. Lol. But my wife said she wants a new camera. Dam there goes my hope. :rolleyes:

Well if you wrest control back, get a nice travel case!

commerceguild
Jul 24, 2011, 05:45 PM
It's a little confusing here, after you've made ​​the i5 so bad.

I think the i5 is good and solid processor and should do my usual tasks in: mail, office, social networks, aperture, iTunes ( watching movies, listening to music) and playing some fun games. However, it should be better as with the most 2010 13" MacBook Pros.

So, I just ordered the 13" model with the i5 1.7GHz processor a few seconds ago. As I said, 150€ (215 US$) seems a little bit much for the upgrade (Europe).

I hope, I'll will have fun with it, even if it's not a i7 MacBook Air.

TheRealDamager
Jul 24, 2011, 06:05 PM
I bought the I7, because I have more $$ than sense. The I5 would have been completely fine for me - if you do HEAVY video editing or photo editing, then the I7 MIGHT make sense. Otherwise, the I5 is a great machine.

dugbug
Jul 24, 2011, 06:07 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh no question you got one fun machine there man!

Did you get the larger drive

commerceguild
Jul 24, 2011, 06:14 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thank you that helps. I really hope so! :) I ordered the 13" MBA with i5 and 256 SSD.

dugbug
Jul 24, 2011, 06:18 PM

Thank you that helps. I really hope so! :) I ordered the 13" MBA with i5 and 256 SSD.

That's the one I'm eyeing myself

Apple Expert
Jul 24, 2011, 06:22 PM
I bought the I7, because I have more $$ than sense. The I5 would have been completely fine for me - if you do HEAVY video editing or photo editing, then the I7 MIGHT make sense. Otherwise, the I5 is a great machine.

LOL. Nice!

commerceguild
Jul 24, 2011, 06:25 PM

That's the one I'm eyeing myself

Nice to hear that someone wants the i5 too.

1. Because if you read in this forum you get the feeling that the i5 is a lame duck.
2. And up on the i7 everything seems to be junk.

ZBoater
Jul 24, 2011, 06:33 PM
From what I read on the Intel site, the only difference between the i5 and the i7 is the slightly higher clock speed and the extra 1MB L3 cache. So in real world performance, the difference should be negligible. Having said that, spending $1600 on a laptop is a lot of money, and I'd rather get the fastest possible processor I can in the hope of extending its usefulness in the future.

I can see some people feel superior because they bought the i7, and put down those who bought the i5. I see some i5 buyers showing mild regret and letting the i7 buyers get inside their heads.

But really, its like Corvette owners who bought a stick shift putting down Corvette owners that bought an automatic. It is all very amusing... :cool:

arctic
Jul 24, 2011, 06:44 PM
Since you'll be doing Photoshop, there is a difference. The 1.7GHz i5 will turbo boost to 2.3; and the 1.8 i7 will boost to 2.9. So that's 2.3 vs 2.9. That's a straight up fact, none of the opinions. Some people here think they're still discussing C2D processors with a .1 GHz difference. Like one poster here mentioned, if you don't care for a few seconds, the 2010 models will also do just fine :). Choice is yours, OP.

snverhallen
Jul 24, 2011, 06:47 PM
What about the people saying that the fans on their i7 Airs are running way too much etc.?

ZBoater
Jul 24, 2011, 06:49 PM
What about the people saying that the fans on their i7 Airs are running way too much etc.?

Sigh. "Too much" is so subjective. I can barely hear them even when they are running full blast. If I were in a completely sealed room with no other noises, the ringing in my ears would be worse than the MBA fans on an i7 model.. :p

commerceguild
Jul 24, 2011, 07:13 PM
Since you'll be doing Photoshop, there is a difference. The 1.7GHz i5 will turbo boost to 2.3; and the 1.8 i7 will boost to 2.9. So that's 2.3 vs 2.9. That's a straight up fact, none of the opinions. Some people here think they're still discussing C2D processors with a .1 GHz difference. Like one poster here mentioned, if you don't care for a few seconds, the 2010 models will also do just fine :). Choice is yours, OP.

Ok than I think I get the right machine with the i5 for me. Yes I'll will be doing some Photoshop work, but not very often. I'm not a publisher or something like that. I only do some work with office programs and private things on it (no heavy gaming).

And if the next processor-gen./MBA update is much better than the actual i5's or i7's, I'll sell my MBA and buy the next one.

arctic
Jul 24, 2011, 07:18 PM
And if the next processor-gen./MBA update is much better than the actual i5's or i7's, I'll sell my MBA and buy the next one.

You'll be doing this :). I'm hearing we'll be eating quads for breakfast with the Ivy Bridge ULVs.

iNeedToDoHw
Jul 24, 2011, 08:34 PM
I I doubt people who buy i5 would buy the ultimate versioon of the next air.

reputationZed
Jul 24, 2011, 08:49 PM
Nice to hear that someone wants the i5 too.

1. Because if you read in this forum you get the feeling that the i5 is a lame duck.
I ordered the i7 and would have said that the threads on this forum are more pro i5 than i7, you favor the i5 and feel the i5 is getting a bad rap.
Perception is a funny thing.

2. And up on the i7 everything seems to be junk.
I haven't got a clue what this means. Could you please translate it into English for those of us over 40?

Apple Expert
Jul 24, 2011, 09:04 PM
It's a little confusing here, after you've made ​​the i5 so bad.

I think the i5 is good and solid processor and should do my usual tasks in: mail, office, social networks, aperture, iTunes ( watching movies, listening to music) and playing some fun games. However, it should be better as with the most 2010 13" MacBook Pros.

So, I just ordered the 13" model with the i5 1.7GHz processor a few seconds ago. As I said, 150€ (215 US$) seems a little bit much for the upgrade (Europe).

I hope, I'll will have fun with it, even if it's not a i7 MacBook Air.

Well I have two options. Purchase the 13" i5 for $1550 or 13" i7 for $1630. For $80 I went i7. Bottom line the i7 is the fastest processor in the MBA lineup. Some could argue only barely or too much heat. At the end of the day we buy faster processors for one thing only....SPEED! As for heat and fan noise, I've been on it for the last 2 hours with nothing over 55C. It's averaging 50C and rpm are at 2k or slighlty below. I think were all just beginning to realize the "breaking" period for these CPUs. Once people start receiving the BTO I'm sure will get a better knowledge of how these are for people around the world.

2IS
Jul 24, 2011, 09:18 PM
Guys, you can say there is no difference all you want, but if that were the case Intel would only release one version, not two. That many people can't TELL the difference is a whole other matter.

Did you read the replies? That's exactly what they're saying. No one said "there is no difference"

I see some i5 buyers showing mild regret and letting the i7 buyers get inside their heads.

Really? I haven't seen that at all. I have seen quite the opposite though based on fan noise, heat and the negligible difference in performance for the majority tasks people do.

Sigh. "Too much" is so subjective. I can barely hear them even when they are running full blast. If I were in a completely sealed room with no other noises, the ringing in my ears would be worse than the MBA fans on an i7 model..

The teardown I saw looks like it's using a very similar cooling solution as the 2010 models, if this is the case and you couldn't hear the fans at full speed than you must have been wearing headphones. I can assure you that at full tilt, the fans on my 2010 are quite audible and from what I've seen in photos and read in user reviews, this is unchanged.

spending $1600 on a laptop is a lot of money, and I'd rather get the fastest possible processor I can in the hope of extending its usefulness in the future.

This almost suggests that the i5/i7 options cost the same.

I can see some people feel superior because they bought the i7, and put down those who bought the i5

I see people trying to feel superior by undermining the drawbacks and exaggerating the benefits.

entatlrg
Jul 24, 2011, 09:29 PM
For my company we'll be ordering i5 11's and i7 13's.

Agreed, i7 in 11" for our uses may have more disadvantages then advantages.

Macalaka
Jul 24, 2011, 09:40 PM
I own the 13" i7 and honestly the only time I have heard the fans come on was when I was installing CS5 and Xcode(and I was installing them at the same time..lol)
My Macbook Pro 2010 15" however does the same thing when I am installing these both on that computer as well so..
Browsing, working in Photoshop, or Xcode, even running a Windows 7 VM on it has not kicked the fans over to a point where I can hear them so make of that what you will.

I am with the rest of the crowd here who is telling you that if you are going to buy a $1600+ laptop, get the best. That way you are not playing the "what if" game once you get it. It also never hurts the resale value either to be able to put "Top of the line MBA for sale" in the subject line when selling your MBA prior to the next gen getting released.
Just my .02

KPOM
Jul 24, 2011, 09:42 PM
For my company we'll be ordering i5 11's and i7 13's.

Agreed, i7 in 11" for our uses may have more disadvantages then advantages.

I would almost think it makes more sense to do the opposite. The Core i5 in the 13" runs at 1.7GHz, turbo boosts to 2.7GHz, and has the VT-d option, so it is closer to the i7 than the i5 that's in the 11" model.

rprice54
Jul 24, 2011, 09:45 PM
Apple Expert, while we're talking performance, how many CPUs does the Activity monitor show for the i7 and i5? There seems to be a good bit of confusion whether or not the new Airs support hyper threading/turboboost. I know on my 2010 dual core i5 MBP it shows four virtual CPUs on the activity monitor.

Apple Expert
Jul 24, 2011, 09:50 PM
Apple Expert, while we're talking performance, how many CPUs does the Activity monitor show for the i7 and i5? There seems to be a good bit of confusion whether or not the new Airs support hyper threading/turboboost. I know on my 2010 dual core i5 MBP it shows four virtual CPUs on the activity monitor.

On my i7 I see 4 bars when I dock the activity monitor icon. I need to get on the i5. Is that what your talking about?

rprice54
Jul 24, 2011, 09:56 PM
I think so, doesn't that indicate 4 virtual cores?

KPOM
Jul 24, 2011, 09:57 PM
I think so, doesn't that indicate 4 virtual cores?

Yes. The chips definitely support hyper threading. I've seen CPU utilization top 300% when using Parallels, as well as Handbrake.

rprice54
Jul 24, 2011, 10:00 PM
woohoo! my i7 is prepared for shipping, that was the one question I still had re:the new airs. I'm not sure why they don't advertise this on the info page.

entatlrg
Jul 24, 2011, 10:02 PM
I would almost think it makes more sense to do the opposite. The Core i5 in the 13" runs at 1.7GHz, turbo boosts to 2.7GHz, and has the VT-d option, so it is closer to the i7 than the i5 that's in the 11" model.

I'm doing that in consideration of heat, fan noise and battery life, not performance.

I hope that makes my decision a good one with regards to the i7 in the 11" but from what I've read here the i7 11" can get real hot.

derlockere
Jul 25, 2011, 03:13 AM
@ Apple Expert

As you have the i5 and the i7: Could you run some battery eater test (with web-browsing and some word processing) on both of them to check how much is the difference between both?

Would be extremely helpful :)

Cheers, S.

Adapsys
Jul 25, 2011, 03:39 AM
I would like to see battery comparisons too before ordering. Appreciate if anyone could post some?

rprice54
Jul 28, 2011, 09:21 AM
I can't compare the two machines but I'm very happy with the batter life on my i7. Yesterday did the initial setup and migration of files plugged in, but then did the first backup via Wifi (35GB) that took about 3 hours, most of that time I was also browsing, setting up apps, installing apps, etc. After the end of 3 hours I still had ~1 hr of battery life on the meter and continued to use the mac. I know I ended up with about 4 hours on that first run, again, with a continuous Time Capsule backup running in the background and fairly heavy use. Right now I've been on it for about an hour downloading and setting up Parallels, battery meter indicates 4:18 left with 84% remaining. I just checked and my screen has been at max brightness.

No complaints here.

Apple Expert
Jul 28, 2011, 09:53 AM
@ Apple Expert

As you have the i5 and the i7: Could you run some battery eater test (with web-browsing and some word processing) on both of them to check how much is the difference between both?

Would be extremely helpful :)

Cheers, S.

I did notice something interesting. When I put my i7 in sleepmode last night, it drained about 10% in about 7 hours. The i5 only went done 5%. No apps were running either. Ugh... I'm not to sure on i7. Andatech gave it's reviewand only showing 8% faster than i5. Not sure it's worth it for shorter battery and warmer temps.

KPOM
Jul 28, 2011, 09:55 AM
I did notice something interesting. When I put my i7 in sleepmode last night, it drained about 10% in about 7 hours. The i5 only went done 5%. No apps were running either. Ugh... I'm not to sure on i7. Andatech gave it's reviewand only showing 8% faster than i5. Not sure it's worth it for shorter battery and warmer temps.

I think there are bugs with sleep mode right now, since it should go into deep sleep after 70 minutes and drain only about 1-2% in that time. There are several threads on this subject. Hopefully this will be addressed in a bug fix.

Mikael
Jul 28, 2011, 10:03 AM
That cannot be caused by the i7, since the CPU is completely off (i.e. not powered) in sleep mode.

rprice54
Jul 28, 2011, 03:06 PM
I don't have an i5 to compare to, but I used it on my lap all night last night and it stayed cool- way cooler than my 15" MBP with a dual core i5. I would always have to use something as a barrier between my legs and the laptop.

It probably isn't worth it for most people, I just figured I would max it out and hopefully squeeze a little more usable lifetime out of it...

For just day to day tasks though, it feels faster than my pimped out 27" imac/quad core/etc etc...

hh83917
Jul 28, 2011, 10:29 PM
I got the new 2011 MBA 13" i7 yesterday and have been following this thread because I was pondering about returning it at the Apple Store and buy the MBA 13" i5 at BestBuy.

BestBuy here only carry the MBA 2011 13" i5 + 256GB, but the sale Price is $1,499 + 100 BestBuy gift card for anything in store, unlike the AppStore Apple give out on their Back-To-School promotion. Educational discount at Apple Store on the MBA is only $50 off so it's $50 cheaper to shop at BestBuy on the same model MBA and you get a more flexible giftcard unless you want to settle with the AppStore giftcard you get at Apple Store.

But, then I figure I'd keep my MBA 13" i7 after some decision making on the programs I use:
1. I use photoshop = faster the better
2. I use Handbrake often = faster the better
3. I use VMware often (probably my primary reason of keeping the i7 MBA

So if I only use it to browse the web or word process, I'd rather buy the i5 at BB and get it for a better price. But since I often use VMWare, I think I'd go for anything with a faster processor, even though if it's only 7% improve, any speed for the virtual machine is welcomed.

I think if you think about what program you use most, it's easy to decide which to get. :)

3goldens
Jul 29, 2011, 12:23 AM
there is no question the i7 runs noticeably warmer than the i5.
period end of story.
returning i7 for i5
STRAIGHT AWAY!

Apple Expert
Jul 29, 2011, 12:33 AM
there is no question the i7 runs noticeably warmer than the i5.
Period end of story.
Returning i7 for i5
straight away!

+1

TheGenerous
Jul 29, 2011, 12:54 AM
+1

+2