PDA

View Full Version : how to switch off iPhone internet / data package network connection ?

usmanzafar
Jul 24, 2011, 06:32 AM
Dear Awesome iphone dev community,

i have a quick question, i am basically nokia developer, i want to make an application that tracks the total consumption of internet data or in other words Data tracker. But if reached the set limit i want the internet data package connection to be disable. Is it possible with iphone SDK ? If answer is yes then which api / library i should be looking at.

robbieduncan
Jul 24, 2011, 07:09 AM
Is it possible with iphone SDK ?

No.

usmanzafar
Jul 24, 2011, 07:15 AM
No.

if i join iphone enterprise developer program then will it make sense for iphone to allow this capability.

robbieduncan
Jul 24, 2011, 07:16 AM
if i join iphone enterprise developer program then will it make sense for iphone to allow this capability.

There is no API for this. It does not matter which program you join the answer is the same.

It may be possible on jailbroken phones but most people on these forums only develop using the official SDK.

usmanzafar
Jul 24, 2011, 07:22 AM
There is no API for this. It does not matter which program you join the answer is the same.

It may be possible on jailbroken phones but most people on these forums only develop using the official SDK.

Ahh make sense, thanks alot mate. The client which i will be working with is the telecom operator and distribute iphone regionally so assumed that this might push apple to ease down the capabilities provided to us to switch off the datapackage (like it works with other platforms e.g: Nokia)

dejo
Jul 24, 2011, 09:53 AM
The client which i will be working with is the telecom operator and distribute iphone regionally so assumed that this might push apple to ease down the capabilities provided to us to switch off the datapackage (like it works with other platforms e.g: Nokia)

This sounds like something the telecom operator would want to work with Apple directly to implement.

firewood
Jul 24, 2011, 11:16 AM
No can do.

Apple provides no API for this, and rarely (or never) lets telecom providers install custom software on iPhones.

You telecom provider will have to do this monitoring and throttling on their network infrastructure.

usmanzafar
Jul 24, 2011, 11:35 AM
No can do.

Apple provides no API for this, and rarely (or never) lets telecom providers install custom software on iPhones.

You telecom provider will have to do this monitoring and throttling on their network infrastructure.

hmm yea make sense. cheers mate!