Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knoxifier

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
As I'm in the process of researching a new phone I was in our local Apple reseller and I looked at the iPods. They're all very shiny and fancy, but I thought: Why buy an iPod when I can buy a phone with an iPod inside? Why carry around two devices? I own a lot of portable music devices (MP3-players as they're called when they're not iPods), but I have to say it has been 3 years since I've used anyone of them. When I've wanted to listen to music, I have used my phone, my iPad or my laptop(netbook until recently Mac).

The best use I see for them is when you're exercising, where you require as small a device as possible.

I recon the use of portable music devices will decline in the coming ten years...
What do you think?

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I don't see people no longer exercising. iPods may become more functional, the iPhone can be viewed as an iPod with a phone built in, but at the same time there may be a bit of a craving to be less connected occasionally (of course you could always turn off the phone part). It's a bit of toss up at the moment but your probably right, tiny iPhones in 10 years can do it all.

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
But I still don't want to go jogging with my iPhone.
I'll take my shuffle, or even my nano over that any day. Less weight, less risk, less bulk...same music.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I carry both an iPod and iPhone as well. I don't even have any music on my iPhone anymore. I have a pro-clip set-up in my car, so I just slide my iPod in there and listen to music. The few times i've forgotten my iPod, I've plugged in my iPhone (when I had music on there), and without fail the phone rings...then I have to unplug and answer...it's just annoying. The iPod is just easier.

I also do a lot of biking, and have a speaker system set up on it. I use the iPod for that as well.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I own an iPhone but still have 3 iPods. One stays in my car, 1 I use when bike riding and the other is just an old 3rd gen and my favorite ones ever. :D

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
It's all about personal preference. Kinda like the boxers versus briefs debate. I just hope the powers that be at Apple see fit to keep the Classic and give it a few upgrades. That's my personal preference.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
many people would not want to drain the battery on their phone using it as an iPod

also for younger folks who love music but do not want an iPhone ... therefore the iPod is not going away any time soon

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I have a 3GS and still take my iPod Classic in the car and to work every day. My reasons...

I have a 128GB iPod Classic. My 32GB iPhone will not hold all of my music. Until iCloud gets here and/or an iPhone w/ more storage there's no way around that.

I like the click wheel controls on my iPod better. When I'm driving it's easier to use the click wheel to skip a song or pause than it woud be on my iPhone (where I would have to take my eyes off the road).

I do have Ford Sync w/ voice control but haven't figured out a way to use it on podcasts, which is mainly what I listen to while driving.

I keep meaning to go down to one device (my iPhone) and really should, just haven't yet.

W/ the cloud, iPod Touch, and phones w/ more storage I do think iPod sales will drop and they'll become more of a niche device (like for people who exercise) but I don't see them going away anytime soon. The Classic maybe now that Apple can refer people who need more storage to the cloud.

Last edited:

thunderbunny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Cheshire, UK
many people would not want to drain the battery on their phone using it as an iPod

that's me! iPod Touch for musica, iPhone for phoning and texting and iPad for, er, whatever's left. My iPod was my first foray into Apple since my Uni days and simply was for music while walking around town and at gym. Mostly walking. Led onto an expensive habit though.

Knoxifier

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden

also for younger folks who love music but do not want an iPhone ... therefore the iPod is not going away any time soon

Very good point.

My initial point was not that the iPod will go away, rather that it becomes more niched(as mentioned) and not as wide a gadget. I see a lot of people here use it in the car, and that the larger memory of the Classic is very useful as storing all your music on an iPhone would take up more space/would not suffice.

radiohed

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Portland, ME
I am not into cell phones or talking on the phone in general so I have no need for an iphone. I do love music and own several ipods. I don't see ipods going away anytime soon. :rolleyes:

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I prefer an iPod. I have an android phone, and actually do not want an iPhone. They are cool devices, but I just wouldn't want to use one. I like having a physical keyboard, less intrusive and more intelligent autocorrect, better battery life, 4G, unlimited data, better notifications, and I prefer to keep my entertainment and communication separate. I do love my touch though, I use it for 4-5 hours a day at work.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Some good points but, isn't music one of the least battery draining things on the iphone? Also to the poster above-isn't unlimited data depend on the phone company not the type of phone?

I can see why some would prefer to keep music separate though.

Last edited:

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
My 3GS battery lasted for 10 hours of music listening, and maybe 7 hours of simultaneous ebook reading on a train journey, with half a dozen texts; then a quick phone call when I got off the train, a dozen photos, and finally died a couple of hours later. That's pretty good, and is far more music than I'd get a chance to listen to in a normal day.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I mean don't you feel it more convenient to just press the iPod "button" on your screen rather than picking up your iPod? I'm just curious :)

No, because I'm on an archaic 3G which is borderline inoperable thanks to bloated iOS4.X which is no good on the 3G.

That aside, no, because I wouldn't want to drain the battery life, but more importantly than anything, I loathe touchscreens. I can deal with it for an iPhone, but for my music player? No way, I play with it and change artists/songs way too much to want to hassle with the touchscreen all the time...it's why I sold my original iPod touch.

BurningJah

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Belgium
Always? I mean don't you feel it more convenient to just press the iPod "button" on your screen rather than picking up your iPod? I'm just curious :)

No an iPod is much more convenient. because you have your physical button where you can push on. And not those virtual.
example: when you are riding your bike and the iPod classic is in your pants you can push the skip button without taking it out of your pocket. With my iPhone I need to take it out unlock the screen and than push the button. so My classic is such a breeze with the "click wheel"

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Apple knows this and continues to develop unique uses for the ipod's. I believe the ipod had the recording HD camera before iphone. They are also conveniently smaller, and work to push their latest technology out the gate faster.

Things like the ipod classic though show the progressive slow on this technological frontier. I am hoping for one last update for the ipod classic however.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
iPod:
- touch feedback with physical buttons. Ideal for operation out of a pocket while walking or in cold weather.
- extremely long battery life
- 160GB of storage

My iPhone cannot compete with this, even with 32GB of storage.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I've still got 3 iPods as well as the iPhone and they all still get a lot of use.

The iPhone doesn't have anything like enough storage capacity so my 160GB classic is still my main music source when I'm not at home.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I was lucky enough to get a brand new Palm Pixi Plus (AT&T model) from Craigslist for $60 and that currently plays music for me constantly. Only 10.9mm thick and only $10 more than what a Shuffle would cost. Only 8 GB, but nice to have it as a backup phone and mp3 player since my library is only 4 GB. Better to have a phone that can make calls than just a stand alone mp3 player. I think iPods will generally fade into a niche market like portable video game systems. I see people will just hand their older iPhones to their kids. iPhone + iPad + iPod touch/nano is just overkill to carry around sometimes.

I can see people enjoying their current iPods that they have now whether for exercise or saving battery, but this perspective is for FUTURE iPods. What is the point for them? And while some have like 200 GB of multimedia, it may not apply to 95% of the world. I had both an iPhone and iPod touch and the touch was the first to be sold because I started to realize how redundant it looked. Once older iPhones get handed down and become iPod touches to younger children, the iPod sales will continue to slow down. Everything runs its course and this is just the peaking sales of smartphones and tablets that is killing off the mp3 market.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/07...7-2-year-over-year/?section=magazines_fortune

screen-shot-2011-07-15-at-6-18-16-am.png

Knoxifier

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Exactly. A nice example to compare iPods to portable gaming devices. A soon to become niched genre of devices that have specific uses rather. Also, as said above, some might have a media library of 120gb, but most of us don't and so that makes the iPod Classic unnecessary for most of the world. That's not to say it doesn't have its audience, but that audience is thinning out. The iPod with the widest audience has to be the Suffle thanks to its size and physical buttons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.