PDA

View Full Version : FileVault 2

kev1234
Jul 24, 2011, 10:17 AM
Hi guys,

My question is about filevault 2, I have been using "Espionage" to encrypt a couple of folders in my computer, but I'm thinking to switch to filevault 2, but I don't understand the app very well, filevault will encrypt all my hard drive ? instead that just a specific folder? .... and filevault works with two password... one that is a master key... that master key can i put the one that i want or apple will give me a specific password ? and the other key with one it is ? is the one that i use to log in on my user ?.... and how it works, every time i restart my computer I wil have to put my password in order to be able to use my computer ? and when i put that password i will have access to all my computer ?

Thanks,

miknos
Jul 24, 2011, 12:49 PM
Espionage creates encrypted DMG containers (like a zip file). Filevault (from Lion) encrypts the whole HD (which is better).

Enable Filevault and create any password you want (choose a good one). The one Apple offers you while you encrypt is a fail-safe. You can write it down in case you forget yours.

When you boot, Lion will ask for the password and you can use the computer normally after.

kev1234
Jul 24, 2011, 01:09 PM
So in the end you think that its better to use FileVault 2, right ?
and I saw in a couple of sites that when you use FileVault your computer gets slower ? that true ?

Thanks for the answer!

mrapplegate
Jul 24, 2011, 01:35 PM
So in the end you think that its better to use FileVault 2, right ?
and I saw in a couple of sites that when you use FileVault your computer gets slower ? that true ?

Thanks for the answer!

I have not had any problems with it.
There is some slowdown, but I have not experienced it. You might be able to measure it in tests, but in the real world I don't see it.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4485/back-to-the-mac-os-x-107-lion-review/18

kev1234
Jul 24, 2011, 07:39 PM
I have not had any problems with it.
There is some slowdown, but I have not experienced it. You might be able to measure it in tests, but in the real world I don't see it.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4485/back-to-the-mac-os-x-107-lion-review/18

Thanks i will them give it a try and switch to filevault 2 !

A quick question ! what happen when i back up my info into time machine ? it will save the info as encrypted or not ?

Anthony La
Jul 24, 2011, 07:43 PM

A quick question ! what happen when i back up my info into time machine ? it will save the info as encrypted or not ?

No. You will be given the option to encrypt the backup drive, but by default backups are not encrypted.

mrapplegate
Jul 24, 2011, 07:45 PM

TM can be encrypted. But it is not as default as Anthony La has said.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110721124750102

Time Machine finally supports encryption; here's how to activate it.

At the Time Machine preference pane, go to Select Disk... and select the disk you're currently using for backup. Check the checkbox in this dialog to Encrypt backup disk. Give it a good password, and never lose it. You probably won't need it ever again unless you recover the backup from a different machine, so remembering it would be tricky.

Requirements for encryption are just Mac Extended (Journaled) file system on a GPT-partitioned disk. I'd speculate it uses the same method as FileVault2, but I don't know.

It does appear to be non-destructive. When I enabled it, it did a long 'preparing for encryption' step (probably a check disk), a quick backup, and now its sitting there encrypting. It is taking a while too, so it might encrypt the whole file system, which will block recovery from anything older than Lion.

Post experiences below. Just to be safe, have another good backup on another disk.

kev1234
Jul 24, 2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks you for the answer man ! I really appreciate !!:D

another quick question but this time is in reference to iCloud and the bookmark sync ! may be you can help me with this too!!

how does it work ??? because it looks like that he doesn't sync safari bookmarks ! .... I been trying to do it on my mac and he doesn't sync anything !!! i don't understand !

Info: I have lion 10.7(Mac App store version) iCloud beta 4 installed and the version of safari is 5.1

Thanks, !

mrapplegate
Jul 24, 2011, 08:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks you for the answer man ! I really appreciate !!:D

another quick question but this time is in reference to iCloud and the bookmark sync ! may be you can help me with this too!!

how does it work ??? because it looks like that he doesn't sync safari bookmarks ! .... I been trying to do it on my mac and he doesn't sync anything !!! i don't understand !

Info: I have lion 10.7(Mac App store version) iCloud beta 4 installed and the version of safari is 5.1

Thanks, !

You need an iPhone running the iOS 5 beta to really test. Nothing to sync with unless you're testing with the phone.

kev1234
Jul 24, 2011, 08:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You need an iPhone running the iOS 5 beta to really test. Nothing to sync with unless your testing with the phone.

I have the iOS5 Beta 4 installed on all my devices (iPhone and iPad) and he doesn't change anything when I make a change on the bookmarks of safari ! why them ?

mrapplegate
Jul 24, 2011, 08:21 PM

You need an iPhone running the iOS 5 beta to really test. Nothing to sync with unless your testing with the phone.

I have the iOS5 Beta 4 installed on all my devices (iPhone and iPad) and he doesn't change anything when I make a change on the bookmarks of safari ! why them ?

You would have to post in the Apple developer forum. I'm not sure other than check your preferences.