Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kev1234

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Hi guys,

My question is about filevault 2, I have been using "Espionage" to encrypt a couple of folders in my computer, but I'm thinking to switch to filevault 2, but I don't understand the app very well, filevault will encrypt all my hard drive ? instead that just a specific folder? .... and filevault works with two password... one that is a master key... that master key can i put the one that i want or apple will give me a specific password ? and the other key with one it is ? is the one that i use to log in on my user ?.... and how it works, every time i restart my computer I wil have to put my password in order to be able to use my computer ? and when i put that password i will have access to all my computer ?

Thanks,

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Espionage creates encrypted DMG containers (like a zip file). Filevault (from Lion) encrypts the whole HD (which is better).

Enable Filevault and create any password you want (choose a good one). The one Apple offers you while you encrypt is a fail-safe. You can write it down in case you forget yours.

When you boot, Lion will ask for the password and you can use the computer normally after.

kev1234

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
So in the end you think that its better to use FileVault 2, right ?
and I saw in a couple of sites that when you use FileVault your computer gets slower ? that true ?

Thanks for the answer!

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH

kev1234

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011

Anthony La

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
Thanks i will them give it a try and switch to filevault 2 !

A quick question ! what happen when i back up my info into time machine ? it will save the info as encrypted or not ?

No. You will be given the option to encrypt the backup drive, but by default backups are not encrypted.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks i will them give it a try and switch to filevault 2 !

A quick question ! what happen when i back up my info into time machine ? it will save the info as encrypted or not ?

TM can be encrypted. But it is not as default as Anthony La has said.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110721124750102

Time Machine finally supports encryption; here's how to activate it.

At the Time Machine preference pane, go to Select Disk... and select the disk you're currently using for backup. Check the checkbox in this dialog to Encrypt backup disk. Give it a good password, and never lose it. You probably won't need it ever again unless you recover the backup from a different machine, so remembering it would be tricky.

Requirements for encryption are just Mac Extended (Journaled) file system on a GPT-partitioned disk. I'd speculate it uses the same method as FileVault2, but I don't know.

It does appear to be non-destructive. When I enabled it, it did a long 'preparing for encryption' step (probably a check disk), a quick backup, and now its sitting there encrypting. It is taking a while too, so it might encrypt the whole file system, which will block recovery from anything older than Lion.

Post experiences below. Just to be safe, have another good backup on another disk.

kev1234

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Thanks you for the answer man ! I really appreciate !!:D

another quick question but this time is in reference to iCloud and the bookmark sync ! may be you can help me with this too!!

how does it work ??? because it looks like that he doesn't sync safari bookmarks ! .... I been trying to do it on my mac and he doesn't sync anything !!! i don't understand !

Info: I have lion 10.7(Mac App store version) iCloud beta 4 installed and the version of safari is 5.1

Thanks, !

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

kev1234 said:
Thanks you for the answer man ! I really appreciate !!:D

another quick question but this time is in reference to iCloud and the bookmark sync ! may be you can help me with this too!!

how does it work ??? because it looks like that he doesn't sync safari bookmarks ! .... I been trying to do it on my mac and he doesn't sync anything !!! i don't understand !

Info: I have lion 10.7(Mac App store version) iCloud beta 4 installed and the version of safari is 5.1

Thanks, !

You need an iPhone running the iOS 5 beta to really test. Nothing to sync with unless you're testing with the phone.

kev1234

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You need an iPhone running the iOS 5 beta to really test. Nothing to sync with unless your testing with the phone.

I have the iOS5 Beta 4 installed on all my devices (iPhone and iPad) and he doesn't change anything when I make a change on the bookmarks of safari ! why them ?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH

kev1234 said:

You need an iPhone running the iOS 5 beta to really test. Nothing to sync with unless your testing with the phone.

I have the iOS5 Beta 4 installed on all my devices (iPhone and iPad) and he doesn't change anything when I make a change on the bookmarks of safari ! why them ?

You would have to post in the Apple developer forum. I'm not sure other than check your preferences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.