Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lz0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2002
Melbourne
How do you play .avi files on a Mac?

I have reg'd QT6, tried DivX Tool and ConvertToQT but nothing works.

I do remember QT6 in OS9 could do it, so what happened in OSX?

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Go to VersionTracker.com, and download Video LAN Client. This should open up almost all avi files.

If it still doesn't work, download MPlayer. This works through the Terminal, so it most definetely will play all uncorrupted avi files. The bad thing about this is that it only plays at fullscreen, and you can't forward or rewind.

Note: Both are freeware.

Hope that helps.

irmongoose

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
are there any AVI patches for quicktime...i know there are tons of different AVI formats, even if it takes me an ass crap long time to download them, i will use them...if they work

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I have something called Divx validator that converts them to files quicktime can read, and then you can delete the old .avi file.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
for a while, if you had the right combination of components (i think it was qt5 and divx.com or jamby codec) you could change the file type of the avi movies from VfW to DIVX and quicktime would play them perfectly, no artifacts, sound bugs, or anything. i think after qt6 came out, this trick no longer worked, so vlc is the only way to play divx files without modification.

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
Get these:

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 172
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.