Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fiesta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Scotland
Anyone else having trouble taking screenshots in Lion? I can't get them to save!

I take the screenshot...makes a sound...but can't find them? They are set to save on the desktop but don't appear? Tried fiddling with the locations on Onyx and on the terminal but it doesn't help.

Thanks
Fiesta

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
It works fine for me... I don't know what you could do, apart from the obvious: have you tried rebooting? I've heard that some problems get fixed after 2-3 reboots after installation.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
I get them on the desktop.

Otherwise look in finder for the file, this is how it get saved: Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 20.28.09

Fiesta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Scotland
It works fine for me... I don't know what you could do, apart from the obvious: have you tried rebooting? I've heard that some problems get fixed after 2-3 reboots after installation.

I will reboot a few times new and get back to you.

Thanks.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
The very first time I did a screenshot it didn't save to the desktop. Every since then though every one has saved directly to the desktop.

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
It's not just Lion. It happens with Leopard and Snow Leopard from time to time too. I had this problem maybe 4-5 times. It's caused by the Finder i think.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
What do you use to do the screen shot?

because: Shift+Command+3 saves on the desktop
while: Shift+Command+4 saves on the clipboard

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England

Shift+Command+4 lets you choose what area of the screen you wanna screenshot and still saves it to the desktop?

- But nope, Screenshots are working fine for me!

Fiesta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Scotland

I've used both. Just a sound but no screen shot!

By the way I think they're both meant to save to the desktop. 3 is a full screen shot and 4 lets you choose.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
have you looked at your desktop from a window? nothing there?? odd one...

check Onyx again (are you running the beta for 10.7? u should be...).
see if changing something there (i.e. file type) helps...

SiPat

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
I am having problems with Quicktime in 10.7 in that every time I click on Play, I end up in the Finder, and the video does not play -- the only way to get the video to start is to CMD-Tab to QT and hit the spacebar.

So, I then did something really stupid: I ran TinkerTool and reset everything to System defaults to see if this would resolve my problem. READ ON.....

I had screen capture set to PDF and to be saved in a folder on the Desktop called Screen Shots (via Terminal but couldn't find my original instructions).

The default for screen capture is to save to Clipboard, so after every capture you have to go to Preview and File>New from Clipboard, then save the Preview document.

After "losing" nearly 20+ screen captures, I ran TinkerTool and there is an option to choose format of the screen capture (JPEG, TIFF, PDF, etc) and location (Desktop, Folder, etc). I set up the screen capture the way it used to be, logged out, logged back in and tested.

Everything works fine now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.