PDA

View Full Version : 2011 i7 13" says 23 weeks old?!

askrib
Jul 24, 2011, 04:17 PM
I just downloaded coconut battery and it says my mac is 23 weeks old?! Thats almost 6 months....whats the deal? Is this a glitch or how could this be 23 weeks old when I just got it.

Also now only getting a 99% charge and it says its completely charged?? ....i already did a cycle when I first got it to calibrate.

calvol
Jul 24, 2011, 04:27 PM
Perhaps Apple manufactured a batch of Air's complete except for the motherboard back in February/March, and just recently installed the latest mobo with Sandy Bridge processor? Therefore, your battery is showing it's original manufacturing date, but the build wasn't complete until few weeks ago.

Cynicalone
Jul 24, 2011, 04:28 PM
Mine says 25 weeks, I think it might be the age of the battery.

PaulWog
Jul 24, 2011, 04:30 PM
I just downloaded coconut battery and it says my mac is 23 weeks old?! Thats almost 6 months....whats the deal? Is this a glitch or how could this be 23 weeks old when I just got it.

Also now only getting a 99% charge and it says its completely charged?? ....i already did a cycle when I first got it to calibrate.

Who knows. Every Macbook Air is saying that.

There's a number of possibilities. Possibly they had an excess of batteries from the older Macbook Air line which they needed to use. Possibly they manufactured these batteries ahead of time. Possibly the "23 weeks" is a misread across the board on all of the batteries.

What really matters are these three things:
- is the battery life good now?
- is your system reading 100% battery health?
- the test of time... hopefully nothing goes wrong, and if something does... hope it's within your warranty time period! :)

If the battery is an issue, you'll almost certainly know within the first year. And the first year is part of the included free warranty. So you have nothing to worry about unless if the first two things I mentioned (how the battery is now in terms of how long it lasts, and the health % it reads), you have nothing to worry about :)

Cynicalone
Jul 24, 2011, 04:33 PM
All my laptops show a battery that is older than the actual computer. So I have always assumed that Coconut Battery is actually seeing the battery's age not the computer's.

askrib
Jul 24, 2011, 04:36 PM
Who knows. Every Macbook Air is saying that.

There's a number of possibilities. Possibly they had an excess of batteries from the older Macbook Air line which they needed to use. Possibly they manufactured these batteries ahead of time. Possibly the "23 weeks" is a misread across the board on all of the batteries.

What really matters are these three things:
- is the battery life good now?
- is your system reading 100% battery health?
- the test of time... hopefully nothing goes wrong, and if something does... hope it's within your warranty time period! :)

If the battery is an issue, you'll almost certainly know within the first year. And the first year is part of the included free warranty. So you have nothing to worry about unless if the first two things I mentioned (how the battery is now in terms of how long it lasts, and the health % it reads), you have nothing to worry about :)

Thanks.
But my battery life now is between 4-5 hours. And its only saying 99% health when completely charged. Im letting it go down to 95% and then charging again to see if that helps.

How does apple advertise 7 hour battery life?? When its not even close....is that even legal? smh

All my laptops show a battery that is older than the actual computer. So I have always assumed that Coconut Battery is actually seeing the battery's age not the computer's.

thanks for data

Cynicalone
Jul 24, 2011, 04:40 PM
I should tell you that it will probably never say 100% again. Pretty much as soon as you use a laptop it will drop below 100%. And depending on your dedication to cycling the battery and the bi-monthly calibration Apple recommends it'll stay in the 90% range for over a year.

askrib
Jul 24, 2011, 05:15 PM
I should tell you that it will probably never say 100% again. Pretty much as soon as you use a laptop it will drop below 100%. And depending on your dedication to cycling the battery and the bi-monthly calibration Apple recommends it'll stay in the 90% range for over a year.

what i meant was on the desktop bar it shows 99%. not on coconut battery app.

Cynicalone
Jul 24, 2011, 05:31 PM
what i meant was on the desktop bar it shows 99%. not on coconut battery app.

Oh okay. :)

Yeah that'll get to 100%.

stevenpa
Jul 26, 2011, 11:18 AM
My battery is showing 97% health and I just got my MBA yesterday. Does it improve after a few cycles?

Pipper99
Jul 26, 2011, 11:41 AM
Mine says 25 weeks, I think it might be the age of the battery.

This utility looks nice. I might have to get it. :)

kelfaij
Aug 1, 2011, 06:28 AM
mine showing 98% health and yes it get better once you do a calibration !

KPOM
Aug 1, 2011, 06:58 AM
Coconut Battery age estimates have been off since the Rev D since Apple changed their serial number formula. Also, if the battery meter is between 95-100% when you plug it in, it usually won't charge to 100%. If it drops below 95% then it will start charging back up.