Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SwedeMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Scania
Hey guys,

Basically, I like to control my other computers wherever I am using the Screen Sharing tool. In Lion, connectiong through my local network still works just fine by enabling Screen Sharing on my other devices, but now I am having difficulties connecting to my computers remotely.

In SL I could easily setup my connection by using Finder > Go > Connect to server.

Now that menu item seams gone. Whatdo?

This is the one I'm looking for:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 5.44.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 5.44.07 PM.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Hey guys,

Basically, I like to control my other computers wherever I am using the Screen Sharing tool. In Lion, connectiong through my local network still works just fine by enabling Screen Sharing on my other devices, but now I am having difficulties connecting to my computers remotely.

In SL I could easily setup my connection by using Finder > Go > Connect to server.

Now that menu item seams gone. Whatdo?

Command-K, still there right under the Go To Folder command.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
For Screen Sharing, start System > Library > CoreServices > Screen Sharing and enter your (external) IP address.

If there are multiple Mac in your home behind a router, you'll probably have to setup some port mapping within the router, so it knows to which Mac to send the Screen Sharing request.

SwedeMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Scania
For Screen Sharing, start System > Library > CoreServices > Screen Sharing and enter your (external) IP address.

If there are multiple Mac in your home behind a router, you'll probably have to setup some port mapping within the router, so it knows to which Mac to send the Screen Sharing request.

That, at least, get's me somewhere! It only starts the Screen Sharing app though. I can't see och modify the drives. I would prefer a V.P.N connection. Know how I can set that up?

SwedeMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Scania
This is the box I'm looking for

So how do I get to it in Lion?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 5.44.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 5.44.07 PM.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 173

SwedeMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Scania
I'm not sure, if you don't see it in your Go menu or command-K does not work. I'll see if I can find a command from terminal to bring up the GUI.

I finally got to it. For some reason this menu had been deactivated in OnyX! No wonder I couldn't find it. Guess that's what you get for running a beta version!

Sorry and thanks everybody :apple:

Moshe Feder

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
I finally got to it. For some reason this menu had been deactivated in OnyX! No wonder I couldn't find it. Guess that's what you get for running a beta version!

Sorry and thanks everybody :apple:

Thanks SO much for sharing that! I was going nuts trying to figure out why I didn't have "connect to server" item in my Go menu. I probably never would have thought of checking Onyx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.