Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
For me: 2 days.

I received a new Mac mini on Friday and have been using Lion with the reverse scrolling since. At the same time I installed Scroll Reverser on my Snow Leopard machine so it's the same there.

At first I mistakenly moved my fingers down to scroll down when I switched to e.g. the browser and quickly wanted to scroll somewhere. Muscle memory. But I just kept reminding myself: where do you want the content to you?

Now, two days later, it feels completely natural and I never mistakenly scroll the wrong way anymore.

Loving it :cool:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
45 minutes. (not bragging, people here took minutes LOL).
after a while, i realized i was just working, not thinking about it.

and now, several days in, seems to make perfect sense...

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
As I stated in another thread, it all makes sense since using my iPad2 and as long as I focus on the page and not the scroll bars (which travel in the opposite direction of your finger motion) I'm all good...:D

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
An evening, and then about 10 minutes the next day, muscle memory from 10 years of use....

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
30 minutes. I found myself trying to go the opposite way at first but now I do it without realizing it.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Maybe an hour or so?

While a strange concept at first after years of scrolling and gesturing to where you want to go on the page, it doesn't take too long to realise that moving the page itself actually makes a lot of sense - and it's just like on the iDevices!

Perhaps for people who hadn't used a touchscreen mobile device in some form this would be a much more foreign concept, but for people who have (which I imagine is probably the majority of users on this forum) I imagine it would come naturally very soon for most.

EDIT: Oh and what do you know, not even 10 seconds after I write about quickly adapting and the new scrolling coming naturally, I go the wrong way! Oh well :eek:

Last edited:

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Natural Scrolling is for TOUCH SCREENS not computers, mice and trackpads. If "Natural Scrolling" is the best way to do it, then why did it take Apple a decade to figure it out? We've been doing it all wrong from the start :eek:

BostonBrawler

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2011
I ended up shutting that feature off.

Problem was, while I know I could get used to it, at times I have to switch to my PC, so to keep it simple, just turned it off.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I received a new Mac mini on Friday and have been using Lion with the reverse scrolling since. At the same time I installed Scroll Reverser on my Snow Leopard machine so it's the same there.

Sweet, I'm going to install this app too. I have come to really like Natural Scrolling but I am not upgrading my work machine to Lion just yet. This will bridge the gap. Although I've had very little problems switching between the two.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Instantly. Not even a second. I'm not kidding though. I'm used to the iPhone scrolling, so I was thinking it will be exactly the same.

TibookAktive

macrumors member
May 27, 2010
Took me maybe a day, now feels completely natural.

I have a windows machine at my work though, and now try and use the scroll-wheel in the wrong direction - so having to re-correct each day at work... might reset the learning curve slightly. Hoping not too much.

Richard.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Natural Scrolling is for TOUCH SCREENS not computers, mice and trackpads. If "Natural Scrolling" is the best way to do it, then why did it take Apple a decade to figure it out? We've been doing it all wrong from the start :eek:

Agree, got used to it quickly as a gimmick, went back just as quickly. Add use of mouse scroll wheel and the change just becomes a big "Why?" :eek:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
worked just fine right away as i was used to it on my iphone. now i see myself moving it in the wrong direction on other computers tho :D

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Probably 1-2 days for me. It wasn't tough at all but now when I go to Bootcamp and use Windows 7, it sucks! Does anybody know if there's a way to reverse scroll in Windows 7?

polbit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2002
South Carolina
While logically it makes sense, it took me a day or so to get used to it, but even few days later I sometimes catch myself trying to scroll the wrong way once in a while. Overall though, I'm happy with the new way, it does seem more "natural" in the world filled with touchscreens.

I bet if I used a mouse though I would feel differently, since there is no way that makes sense with a mouse :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Scrolling? An hour or so.

Now, learning the rest of the new gestures is something I'm still working on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.