Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KillerTree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJOouh5G1No

Played around in a new zone on high settings with 1440x900 resolution. 30-60 fps. It dips to 20 fps in big raids and stuff so I recommend medium if you want to raid.

Base 13" 2011 Macbook Air i5
Complete settings:
1440x900 resolution
Texture resolution: High
Texture filtering: 2x anisotropic
Projected textures: Enabled
View distance: ULTRA
Environment detail: High
Ground clutter: High
Shadow quality: Low
Liquid detail: Fair
Sunshafts: Disabled
Particle density: High

Last edited:

KillerTree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Was this native OS X though? And did you have Console MaxFPS 30 restriction active?

Native OS X. No FPS restriction. At the end it got up to almost 60fps.

This was just a test. If I was raiding I would have it on medium because it did dip to 20fps in raids and I don't want to tax my Air too much

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Can you do me a favor? Download Xcode off the app store, its free. Enable your CPU preferences and DISABLE hyper threading. Then run WoW and see if there is a change in the FPS.

KillerTree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Can you do me a favor? Download Xcode off the app store, its free. Enable your CPU preferences and DISABLE hyper threading. Then run WoW and see if there is a change in the FPS.

Just have Xcode in the background doing nothing?

And why disable hyper threading? Do you mean stop the processor from hyper threading or stop Xcode from taking advantage of hyper threading? (I'm not an engineer so that question might not make sense :| )

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
After doing some research on the topic I found that WoW is hindered by having HT enabled. Tell me if this file exists on your drive.

/Library/Application Support/HWPrefs/CPUPalette

KillerTree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
After doing some research on the topic I found that WoW is hindered by having HT enabled. Tell me if this file exists on your drive.

/Library/Application Support/HWPrefs/CPUPalette
I don't see it. I could be hidden. Apple does stuff like that now it seems

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Yeah and I've spent the last hour looking around the net for where the CPUPalette preference panel could be located. If you find that turn it off and do a WoW FPS test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.