Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macshin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Hello all,
I just recently had a nail clipper stuck onto the magsafe port. Luckily everything is working fine but I was wondering if this could have caused damage to anything else inside or around the port. Or is it just as safe as the metal on the magsafe that attaches to the port?
And also how is a magnet safe on a laptop?
Thanks

Dave421

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
Hello all,
I just recently had a nail clipper stuck onto the magsafe port. Luckily everything is working fine but I was wondering if this could have caused damage to anything else inside or around the port. Or is it just as safe as the metal on the magsafe that attaches to the port?
And also how is a magnet safe on a laptop?
Thanks

As long as you don't have current flowing into it, you're fine. You're more at risk with something attached to the cable & shorting it out but even that is pretty unlikely.

As for being safe, I assume you're talking about the fact that magnets can wipe data from hard drives? If so, you need a strong magnet within close proximity to the disk to actually cause damage. The magsafe ports are not strong enough nor close enough to do any damage. Beyond that, you really don't have to worry about the magnet doing damage on a MBA since it uses an SSD instead of a traditional HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.