PDA

View Full Version : Magsafe port

macshin
Jul 24, 2011, 05:13 PM
Hello all,
I just recently had a nail clipper stuck onto the magsafe port. Luckily everything is working fine but I was wondering if this could have caused damage to anything else inside or around the port. Or is it just as safe as the metal on the magsafe that attaches to the port?
And also how is a magnet safe on a laptop?
Thanks

tennis11
Jul 24, 2011, 05:14 PM
Why ask... simple way to find out: does your computer still charge?

bjett92
Jul 24, 2011, 05:15 PM
Do you plan on attaching anything else to it? If it still works then you are fine.

ZBoater
Jul 24, 2011, 05:23 PM
Better question yet - how did you get a nail clipper stuck on a magsafe port??? :confused:

Obscurelight
Jul 24, 2011, 05:29 PM
Better question yet - how did you get a nail clipper stuck on a magsafe port??? :confused:

ditto and why did it even get in there in the first place

Dave421
Jul 24, 2011, 05:32 PM
Hello all,
I just recently had a nail clipper stuck onto the magsafe port. Luckily everything is working fine but I was wondering if this could have caused damage to anything else inside or around the port. Or is it just as safe as the metal on the magsafe that attaches to the port?
And also how is a magnet safe on a laptop?
Thanks

As long as you don't have current flowing into it, you're fine. You're more at risk with something attached to the cable & shorting it out but even that is pretty unlikely.

As for being safe, I assume you're talking about the fact that magnets can wipe data from hard drives? If so, you need a strong magnet within close proximity to the disk to actually cause damage. The magsafe ports are not strong enough nor close enough to do any damage. Beyond that, you really don't have to worry about the magnet doing damage on a MBA since it uses an SSD instead of a traditional HDD.