Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
I made the switch to editing on my mac and i'm a little disappointed.

Whilst i think iMovie looks pretty cool indeed i'm at a loss on how to easily transfer footage from my Sony HD TG3 cam (.mts) to AVCHD blue-ray (DVD-R).

iMovie worked fine, but it took 350% CPU and 10 mins to import just 15mins of 1080i footage (.mts format). Then it said it needed an hour to export in 1080p.

1) Is there any way to export and create the AVCHD disk on a DVD-R

2) Is there anyway to burn the cam footage to disk without all this important encoding and exporting?

On windows the bundled software just had a 1 touch burn option. Took about 10 - 15 mins to create a DVD without editing.

Thanks

ctyhntr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
I'm looking for a answer on this also. Right now my workflow process is to use iMovie to import and convert mts files to mov. Which takes about 1:2x real time. The mov files from iMovie are about 5-6 times bigger than the original MTS files.

I then use QuickTime to convert back to 1080p, which shrinks it down to about 1/10th the size. That takes 1:4x real time. This ends up as a file that I can fit on a DVD.

Is there a faster way, as it ends up take me 6-8 hours for every hour of footage?

ctyhntr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
How long does it take in Roxio Toast, and to burn into Blue Ray disc? Right now, the end output is mov file, or a DVD.

Also, another issue I have is when I export from 1080p from Quick Time, if the output file is over 5GB, it blanks out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.