Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

llirik

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I tried posting on Apple's forums, but no help there at all.....

---------

Hi,

I've seen a few postings of this online, but no solutions.

I first simply backed up via my Time Capsule and then did an upgrade from the App Store for Lion. Seemed to go well, I was able to get into Lion and see the new stuff. I rebooted but then I get stuck at the grey screen with apple logo and the spinning thing and it does not go any further than that.

Not finding solutions, I installed freshly from the Recovery HD and then used the Migration Assistant to transfer my files back from the Time Capsule. Again, I booted in the first time fine with no issues.

To test, I didn't do anything else and simply rebooted. Again, I am stuck on the same screen!

I can't find any solutions for this, and have a few macs in my household and definitely will not be upgrading until a solution for this is found.

I don't consider doing a fresh install and manually bringing back all my settings and files as a solution when I've paid for a Time Capsule in order to avoid doing this. Using Time Capsule on Snow Leopard and having twice moved machines I've never had any issues.

This install is being done on the latest 15" MBP i7, with all options upgraded/maxed out. I'm afraid what would happen if I tried to update my 2008 Mac Pro.

Please advise, thanks!

------

1 day later:

I haven't had any luck fixing this... but after the reinstall... I'm able to boot up on about every 3rd or 4th attempt. This isn't really acceptable either, but at least i can use the computer.

Any help?

jumpmanjay23

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2010
I'm having the same problem as you! I tried to do a fresh install of Lion. I can get to the utilities screen from my bootable Lion USB. I then use disk utility to erase my macbook air HD completely. Next, I go back to the install Lion screen and install it. It takes me to the apple logo, gray screen, and the spinning loading sign comes up. Then the apple logo changes to a "do not" sign with the spinning loading logo under it. I'm stuck there. I'm sure that "do not" sign is not normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.