Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e.zaharias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
I own a 13 Macbook Air with 4gigs of ram. After upgrading to Lion and spending some time browsing I noticed scrolling had become very slow and laggy. I opened activity monitor to see the memory use of my programs and found Safari Web Content using 1.75gb and Safari another 600mb. That only left me with 30MB of free memory.
I forced quit Safari Web Content and it restarted making very little use of memory. Scrolling became fast again and my free memory went to almost 2gb. Since then and as I continue to browse Safari Web Content uses again more and more memory obviously storing every web page to ram.
Is there a way to manage how much content I want it to store so that it does not use up all my free ram? At preferences my database storage is only at 5mb.
Thank you.

Komodo Rogue

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
Pennsylvania
I own a 13 Macbook Air with 4gigs of ram. After upgrading to Lion and spending some time browsing I noticed scrolling had become very slow and laggy. I opened activity monitor to see the memory use of my programs and found Safari Web Content using 1.75gb and Safari another 600mb. That only left me with 30MB of free memory.
I forced quit Safari Web Content and it restarted making very little use of memory. Scrolling became fast again and my free memory went to almost 2gb. Since then and as I continue to browse Safari Web Content uses again more and more memory obviously storing every web page to ram.
Is there a way to manage how much content I want it to store so that it does not use up all my free ram? At preferences my database storage is only at 5mb.
Thank you.

Have you tried clearing the cache? I'm not an expert, but I wonder if that may help because I don't know how else that much memory could be in use.

Good luck

e.zaharias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Have you tried clearing the cache? I'm not an expert, but I wonder if that may help because I don't know how else that much memory could be in use.

Good luck

I tried that now that you mentioned it but it did not alter the ram used by Safari. I'll read the other thread to see if they found a fix. Thanks.

e.zaharias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
I disabled adblock and my problem went away. Hopefully Apple will provide a a solution that lets us make use of our extensions.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
So Safari runs better with AdBlock off? Wow I got to see for myself

EDIT: When disabled, I was able to smoothly scroll down IGN.com (which was really laggy for me) with no LAG. Before I had to wait several second before scrolling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.