Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Do you use the Mail app? Gmail's website? Yahoo? Ect.? And why?

I currently use Gmail with Fluid (look it up, you won't be disappointed)

Also, I dont have Lion yet. How's the new Mail app? Maybe I'll switch when I get my MBA

peterbr

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Very disappointed with the 'new' e-mail app.
Much hype in the announcement on revamped/rewritten mail app in Lion.
Well it is 'only' the presentation layer that got changed. So called conversations, grouping together mails.

No functional enhancements to bring the app on par with other 3rd party mail functionality.
Mail bounce option has been removed, a real bummer.:mad:
Smart mailbox rules are still very limited. Try creating a smart mailbox that contains all mail from a group in your address book , let say family, and include all your mails send to that group, excluding trash and the mail all folder from gmail.:( . A resonable requirement you would start with setting up smart mailboxes, right?

Last edited:

Deedolito

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
Switched from Gmail's web app to Mail and I'm OK so far, let's see how many annoying things I'll find in the next weeks ;)

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
I finally took the plunge and switched from Thunderbird to Mail. I was never quite happy with how mail presented things before this version. It is great now.

I was more then happy to dump the buggy piece of code that is Thunderbird.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
gmail account through the mail app

I dont like using web interfaces for mail

The new conversation view in mail 5 is growing on me, its quite good, just wish there was a way to show unread messages in bold instead of just having the little circle to show its unread

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
I primarily use the new Mail app now. I would love to use it for my work email too, but they are still stuck on Exchange 2003 and I can't access it. :(

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Outlook 2011 for everything (exchange, gmail, mobileme) except yahoo mail (they still don't support imap)

Cheers,

comdex

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
London
The Mail.app with Gmail, Mobile.ME and several other accounts. Apart from failing to group conversations from time to time... everything else works as the defined.

However its quite annoying some times when it takes forever to load, but that maybe because I have s..t loads of mail. And before you go to suggest upgrade its a MBP 13" from the epic year of 2010 :) with 8GB ram and SSD.

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
I use the new Mail app on Lion to access my gmail. I was using Sparrow Lite on Snow Leopard but I like the new Mail app now and uninstalled Sparrow. I hated the old Mail app. I occasionally use the web interface to gamil for a few things like managing labels.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm still using Sparrow, though I will give the new Mail a try. Sparrow is just fantastic, especially with the new release. I was hoping that Mail would get a theme that was more interesting than what was released, but I'm pleased that Apple finally realized that a landscape view in 2011 would be appreciated by their users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.