PDA

View Full Version : Best browser for iPad?

fterh
Jul 25, 2011, 07:40 AM
I tried Terra - pretty interface, but lacking in terms of functionality. E.g. no bookmarks bar, cannot change homepage.

Atomic browser packs a lot of features, but a bit lacking in terms of aesthetics. (Yes, I'm a really picky consumer, I want looks AND brains :D)

Anymore recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

ctbear
Jul 25, 2011, 07:48 AM
Try iCab. Tabbed browsing, bookmarks bar, bunch of modules/features, and looks like safari.

LiloThePleo
Jul 25, 2011, 07:51 AM
My choice is iCab, all the features of atomic, all the style of safari :)

fterh
Jul 25, 2011, 07:56 AM
I Googled and found a lot of forum threads raving about how great iCab is, and I wanted to give it a try, but every time I got to the iCab page and saw that the reviews weren't as high as Terra or alternatives it put me off downloading iCab :(

Yes, i'm that easily influenced and swayed :D Haha. :(

Edit: Okay, iCab is GREAT. Beautiful looks and great customizability (when I opened the Settings page I was WOWed). Only gripe I have? The name and the icon. But that I can live with. :D

Thanks a lot guys! Love iCab!

ctbear
Jul 25, 2011, 08:04 AM
I Googled and found a lot of forum threads raving about how great iCab is, and I wanted to give it a try, but every time I got to the iCab page and saw that the reviews weren't as high as Terra or alternatives it put me off downloading iCab :(

Yes, i'm that easily influenced and swayed :D Haha. :(

Quite frankly there is currently no browser that can match the smoothness of mobile safari, but safari is so lacking in features that it doesn't matter anymore.
I finally settled on iCab because of the overall features and smoothness.

kalex
Jul 25, 2011, 09:12 AM
Right now they all suck simply for the fact that Apple made them suck. I use icab and its choppy and laggy. Don't get me wrong its an awesome browser as long as Apple allows it to be. But for now it looks like that only useless safari will have smooth sailing everything else that is out there will be broken by apple on purpose

Ashwood11
Jul 25, 2011, 09:28 AM
I tried Terra - pretty interface, but lacking in terms of functionality. E.g. no bookmarks bar

Terra does have a bookmarks bar.

fhall1
Jul 25, 2011, 01:09 PM
I've pretty much settled on Mercury lately.

Cooolpenner
Jul 25, 2011, 01:36 PM
MY favourite is icab.
It's like using firefox on the ipad (without addons):D

JNGold
Jul 26, 2011, 05:28 PM
Terra does have a bookmarks bar.

If you are referring to the page rendering toolbar that really isn't a toolbar. There is no toolbar like browsers like Safari, iCab, Atomic, etc.

gquiring
Jul 26, 2011, 05:37 PM
I've pretty much settled on Mercury lately.I dumped Atomic for Mercury. It's not bad. Atomic has so many compatibility issues with many web pages I use I gave up, the developer seems to not care.

DeChrii
Jul 30, 2011, 12:24 AM
Can always try maven. One of my most liked feature of maven is the red ball scrolling. Its similar to those red ball mouses you see on the middle of the keyboard on laptops. Its useful when your lazy and don't feel like moving your hands too much. It has tab feature and a few customizations too.

TheGenerous
Jul 30, 2011, 02:39 AM
Damn, I'm the only one using Safari, and tried Opera and didn't like it

AlexH
Jul 30, 2011, 02:51 AM
Damn, I'm the only one using Safari, and tried Opera and didn't like it
Nah, I still like Safari too!

LostLogik
Jul 31, 2011, 04:14 AM
Nah, I still like Safari too!

And me too, though there are times when I wish I could have multiple open tabs.

iOS user
Jul 31, 2011, 04:58 AM
And me too, though there are times when I wish I could have multiple open tabs.

Tabs for safari will come with iOS 5, which is when most alt browsers will RIP so to speak. For now, my tabs and full screen are provided by Atomic, with it's Soviet-esque interface and memorable app icon, it is still the champ of alt browsers for iOS.

Until Safari has tabs....

JustinDaigle
Jul 31, 2011, 07:36 AM
Safari.
If you're jailbroken, stick Safari Download Manager in there, and you're good to go. If you're not, use something like Meteoric for downloading. But proper downloading functionality is really the only thing Mobile Safari is missing out of box.

- Sent from my iPad, using Mobile Safari

akdj
Aug 1, 2011, 05:47 PM
I'll second Maven...and I think I've D/l'ed all of them between our iPads and iPhones. ICab and Atomic are easily my favorites...and most used, until recently. I've switched to Maven for about 90% of my browsing. It remembers text size which I love...and the UI is excellent.

J

MadeTheSwitch
Aug 1, 2011, 06:49 PM
I'm partial to iChromy myself. iCab is okay too, but iChromy loads more tabs up without crashes which I like cause I tend to have a lot open.

http://thetechjournal.com/electronics/tablet/ichromy-ipad-web-browser.xhtml