Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
Has anyone else noticed that? Is that a bug or is it supposed to be like that? It takes a few seconds before I can even start scrolling down and stuff. I find it very annoying especially since I'm in my summer house and my internet connection isn't very fast.

Last edited:

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Has anyone else noticed that? Is that a bug or is it supposed to be like that? It takes a few seconds before I can even start scrolling down and stuff. I find it very annoying especially since I'm in my summer house and my internet connection isn't very fast.

Yep, cool animation, awful implementation. It also eats all of your ram and then moves on to your HD space. The longer you leave it open the slower and more unstable it gets.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mine doesn't reload. How much ram do you have?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mine doesn't reload. How much ram do you have?

I have 4 GB and it happens to me. Really annoying. It usually happens when I switch tabs, not when I swipe back.

stillmatic

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
I hate that it does that. Did it in the beta, too. It's been improved since it was first implemented, so I'm hoping they get it right eventually, but the reload is so damn unnecessary and takes away from the smoothness.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I have been trying to figure out what the hell it is doing. It doesn't refresh but it take a second or 2 to reload. When you swipe you can see the page as it was then it does a "quick" "reload" of some type. If you try and scroll immediately before the reload it scrolls to the top of the page.

Since he page is there when you swipe why does it need to reload? If it is reloading why not refreshing too?

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

I have 10gb never reloads on me. I'll keep this in mind tho since I want to get a MBA.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
On a forum like this it'd be pretty crappy if it didn't refresh when you swiped back to the thread listing. I like it.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Reloads on my MBA 4g all the time. Nice feature !

Love it when you do a google and look at the bottom of the search page, then back... goes to the top and reloads. Awesome productivity!!

/s

add:
when I swipe back activity monitor shows safari spikes up to 28% cpu just to load the previous/or forward page.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
What makes you think it's a bug? You do realize that two-finger swiping is same as using back/forward buttons. And lemme ask you this: when you click on the back/forward buttons, what happens? Riiiiight, a blue progress bar loads in the address bar, which means restoring, hence the restoring when you swipe with two fingers as well.

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
What makes you think it's a bug? You do realize that two-finger swiping is same as using back/forward buttons. And lemme ask you this: when you click on the back/forward buttons, what happens? Riiiiight, a blue progress bar loads in the address bar, which means refreshing/reloading, hence the refreshing/reloading when you swipe with two fingers.

...but again it's NOT refreshing.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
What makes you think it's a bug? You do realize that two-finger swiping is same as using back/forward buttons. And lemme ask you this: when you click on the back/forward buttons, what happens? Riiiiight, a blue progress bar loads in the address bar, which means restoring, hence the restoring when you swipe with two fingers as well.

Except that it also occurs frequently when you switch to an opened tab.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I have this refreshing issue as well

For me it seems to be the additional Java download that caused it, if I disable Javascript the issue goes away

but then I have problems on other sites

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Mine also isn't refreshing. Prior to upgrading to Lion, when I hit the back button while on this forum, it would mark threads I just read as already read. Now when I hit the back button, everything is bolded as if no thread has been read.

Is there a setting to change this, or is it just the new design?

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Mine also isn't refreshing. Prior to upgrading to Lion, when I hit the back button while on this forum, it would mark threads I just read as already read. Now when I hit the back button, everything is bolded as if no thread has been read.

Is there a setting to change this, or is it just the new design?

looks like new design

I have tried in Safari, Firefox and Chrome and can't get old behaviour back

Just have to use CMD+R more to keep refreshing the page

basher

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ USA
looks like new design

I have tried in Safari, Firefox and Chrome and can't get old behaviour back

Just have to use CMD+R more to keep refreshing the page

I found the same to be true. I have 8GB of RAM and from what others are writing I don't think the behavior is RAM related.

jkcmac

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
I have no problem whatever with these new feature, in fact I love these feature. last time I used to open a new page when I wanted to open a link but now these new feature works for me. it refresh when moving fore and back.

some time the slow refresh might be due to the broadband speed in my area. which are normal to me. :)

MacRuler

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
I have this refreshing issue as well

For me it seems to be the additional Java download that caused it, if I disable Javascript the issue goes away

but then I have problems on other sites

disabling java and javascript solve the problem for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.