Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhangqin200000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
I heard that the newest Intel process support up to 8G RAM, does new MBA support? Is it necessary to wait apple to add the 8G RAM option?

Lord Appleseed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2010
Apple Manor
Do we need it? Certainly not.

Could some people use it? Why yes, they could.

Should the MBA be available with a 8GB RAM option? Yes, yes it should, not the 11" though.

Last edited:

Catdog12349

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
My 11" inch that i just got has 4g ram and with lion and like safari or chrome running its constantly using about 2 gigs of ram +- .5. So if you don't need one now i would wait.

s.hasan546

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
NY
Do we need it? Certainly not.

Could some people use it? Why yes, they could.

Should the MBA be available with a 8GB RAM option? Yes, yes it should, not the 11" though.

sorry but you may speak for your self but not for everyone.

Do we need it? Yes if you use Parallels.

Could A LOT of people use it? Hell yeah. I consistently go over 4 gb ram on my mbp 13" w/ 8gb ram. Running windows in parallels + 20-30 tabs + quickbooks + mail + calendar + flash video kills ram.

Should it be an option? Yes. Why the hell wouldn't the 11" get it? You make no sense. Apple already made the 11" almost the same specs as the 13".

Lord Appleseed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2010
Apple Manor
So?

Which not too many people do with an Air, but as I said, they should add a 8GB option.

Could A LOT of people use it? Hell yeah. I consistently go over 4 gb ram on my mbp 13" w/ 8gb ram. Running windows in parallels + 20-30 tabs + quickbooks + mail + calendar + flash video kills ram.
YOU seem to be special here. You are definitely using your computer on a much higher level than 99% of the MacBook Air buyers.

Should it be an option? Yes. Why the hell wouldn't the 11" get it? You make no sense. Apple already made the 11" almost the same specs as the 13".
No, you make no sense. The 11" Air was not made for parallels, 30 tabs, and other CPU and Ram exausing tasks.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I have no idea about WE, but I am contemplating returning because I am at a RAM ceiling. I thought the ssd may help offset it, but it seems not enough. I had been scraping by with 4 gigs on my old mbp, but after building a hackintosh with 16gigs and then using the air, it's the only frustrating thing about this device. What a bummer they wouldn't allow 8, and for absolutely no reason other than to make people go pro.

So in order to get more ram, I have to give up form factor and weight - and go back to a crayola resolution or spend a ton more.

boo.

So we... who knows.. me, yup.

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
If the air starts stacking up to the MBP line in specs, I wonder which one people will get :rolleyes:

Once 8GB RAM is put into the MBA then people will start going overboard like the poster that uses 20-30 tabs then start whining when they end up with 1 hour battery life.

s.hasan546

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
NY
So?

Which not too many people do with an Air, but as I said, they should add a 8GB option.

YOU seem to be special here. You are definitely using your computer on a much higher level than 99% of the MacBook Air buyers.

No, you make no sense. The 11" Air was not made for parallels, 30 tabs, and other CPU and Ram exausing tasks.

Special? thanks but a lot of mac users use parallels. Esp. since this is an ultraportable that many business users use and they need windows. How was the 11" air not "made for parallels; etc" when the 11" has the same specs besides screen size and battery life than as the 13".

Also the 11" w/ 4 gb ram gets benchmark scores better than or close to 2010 & 2011 mbps. So i don't see how the mba can't handle cpu and memory exhausting tasks. so no you def. don't make sense. :rolleyes:

s.hasan546

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
NY
If the air starts stacking up to the MBP line in specs, I wonder which one people will get :rolleyes:

Once 8GB RAM is put into the MBA then people will start going overboard like the poster that uses 20-30 tabs then start whining when they end up with 1 hour battery life.

the new mba already stacks up to the 13" mbp line in specs. Except in maximum ram. However, the average user probably doesn't even know that.

i never complained about battery life. I understand the computer is very very small and than you can't ask for technology that hasn't been developed at a reasonable cost yet. However, 8 gb ram is something apple could have easily done.

rkheyfets

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
NYC
Most people probably wont need it however it would be nice to have as an option and to future proof the laptop, as with apples current OS progression they double the min ram with each new release thus OS 10.8 will pro require a min of 4gb, thus all current (and older) macbook airs probably wont be able to upgrade to OS 10.9 (8gb min?, pro wont be until 2015-2016)
but thats a ways off but still would be nice to have the 8gb of ram option
but yea most people dont need it

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
**** stop using Flash, problem solved ****

Why ? Flash is not RAM intensive, it's CPU intensive. Anyone thinking more RAM is going to help Flash is obviously clueless.

Same for VMs. You don't have to give up 4 GB of RAM to your guest OS. It probably doesn't even need that much.

Again, who's this "we" ? Some people need it, some people don't, it depends on workflows, apps, and proper configurations. There is no "we".

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Of course he doesn't speak for everyone, its just silly to think otherwise. He said it should be an option, but you still had to be contrary.

Lord Appleseed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2010
Apple Manor
Special? thanks but a lot of mac users use parallels. Esp. since this is an ultraportable that many business users use and they need windows. How was the 11" air not "made for parallels; etc" when the 11" has the same specs besides screen size and battery life than as the 13".

Also the 11" w/ 4 gb ram gets benchmark scores better than or close to 2010 & 2011 mbps. So i don't see how the mba can't handle cpu and memory exhausting tasks. so no you def. don't make sense. :rolleyes:

A lot is still relatively few compared to the ones who don't use it.

And I nowhere said the 11" couldn't handle exhausting tasks, i said that it wasn't made for it, especially in therms of battery life. There is no real need to have a 11" with 8GB Ram. Not alone because the screen is pretty small to actually "work" on it...but thats personal preference.

emoore

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
If there was an 8 GB option I would have purchased by now. I don't consider myself a heavy computer user but i use almost 3 GB on my 2007 macbook right now and I can only image that will increase in the future. 4 GB is fine right now but I think it might be a bit short in a few years and I like to keep my computers for 4 or 5 years.

BBC Model B

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
There is no real need to have a 11" with 8GB Ram. Not alone because the screen is pretty small to actually "work" on it...but thats personal preference.

You can plug a cinema display into a 11 inch. They're pretty big. I would have bought 8GB if it was an option. So would my colleagues. We travel a lot. 11 is perfect size for working on the move.

Just our personal preference. And that of others. Plenty of reason to put 8GB into an 11 inch. And 1TB storage. Build it and we will come.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

KnightWRX said:
**** stop using Flash, problem solved ****

Why ? Flash is not RAM intensive, it's CPU intensive. Anyone thinking more RAM is going to help Flash is obviously clueless.

Same for VMs. You don't have to give up 4 GB of RAM to your guest OS. It probably doesn't even need that much.

Again, who's this "we" ? Some people need it, some people don't, it depends on workflows, apps, and proper configurations. There is no "we".

I was responding to the OP's statement that flash kills ram. But your right, it was a clueless statement on my part, I should have put more thought into what I said.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
This whole discussion sounds like a guy wanting a Miata but having to cart around the kids.

If you have to cart around the kids, its mini-van time for you buddy.... :D

If you want the sleekness and portability of the Air, you have to give something up. They just can't fit that much into such a small case. And when they can, whatever they can fit in the larger Pro case will be faster and better.

If you have to do serious heavy lifting, you need a Pro. That's why Apple makes more than one laptop line. Different strokes for different folks. :apple:

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
There is absolutely no reason they couldn't have put 8gb in the air. Look at the teardown.

Your analogy is flawed.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Why are you keeping up with the analogy?

You stated there are things that must be given up because they can't be fit. They CAN fit 8 gb, but chose not to.

If you really want to go with the car analogy find something else.

M3 4 dr has a v8
you want the two door but it can only have a 4 cyl

there, an accurate analogy - no reason you shouldn't get the v8 if you lop 2 doors off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.