Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdbunn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Col. Grove, Oh
I'm ready to upgrade. I currently have a Mac Desktop with 24" monitor. Upgrading to the new desktop Pro is out of my price range. Since I already have a good 24" monitor, I was thinking about a loaded Mini. Or should I jump to a 27" iMac? Would there be much of a performance difference between the mini and the iMac?

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
What are you planning to do with it? I bought the mini over the iMac for photography and have been happy with it.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
If all you do is surf the net, speed is irrelevant with any current model.

xheathen

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2010
I'm ready to upgrade. I currently have a Mac Desktop with 24" monitor. Upgrading to the new desktop Pro is out of my price range. Since I already have a good 24" monitor, I was thinking about a loaded Mini. Or should I jump to a 27" iMac? Would there be much of a performance difference between the mini and the iMac?

Which 27" were you considering?

I've been in the exact some predicament. I'm SO close to pulling the trigger on a new mini, but I just want to know if the i7 Dual Core is worth the extra $100.

I was eyeing the iMac's thinking, "The price isn't ALL that different for a previous generation iMac" But the glossy screens keep me at bay. I too have a 24" good monitor that I like.

From what I can gather, the performance isn't terribly huge for the baseline 21.5" quad core iMac and the $799 model Mac Mini. Gaming benchmarks seem to show the Mini at only like 11 FPS under, and we see the geekbench scores for the $799 model are only about 1000 under the quad iMac.

Price is an issue for me, especially since I'll need to upgrade my software as well. I'm pretty sure I'll be buying the baseline $799 model + a 7200 HDD, but I just want to see that i7 :)

xheathen

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2010
What are you planning to do with it? I bought the mini over the iMac for photography and have been happy with it.

How does photoshop run on it - and which model did you get? I haven't been able to directly ask anyone.

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
I have the 799 model and just upgraded to 8 gigs RAM
Mainly use Lightroom and Photoshop
Both run really well. No complaints. Lightroom is 2-3 times faster at tasks than the 2007 Macbook it replaced.
Don't have an iMac to compare it to though

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Just get the basic mini, or maybe the upgraded version if you play games occasionally. The "speed" of your computer is irrelevant to how fast the internet is, that part is all about how fast your connection is and the servers are that you are trying to access.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I mainly surf the net. I like speed. :)

Surfing the web is mainly constrained by the network bandwidth. You will not notice any difference between either model, in fact you'll really not notice a big jump in performance in safari with your current desktop and a new mini or iMac.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Do you consider weight as a factor? The 27" is 30.5 lbs and the 21.5" is 20.5 lbs.

The mini server is only 3 lbs, and both standard models are only 2.7 lbs!!!! (That's lighter than the 13" MBA which is 2.96 lbs :eek:)

I hate moving iMacs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.