Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DitchDoc83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
Alabama
Has anyone used VirtualBox on their Macbook Pro to run Windows?

I'm working in a GIS class and need to run GeoMedia for school. But the only way to run it is on windows. I've never tried running dual OS's on a computer. Any help would be welcomed.

BTW, I'm running OS X Lion.

Last edited:

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Cant speak for the Lion part yet- haven't tried. But Virtualbox works very well as long as you don't need the invisible integration features that parallels and VMware provide. It supports shared folders though, which was the most important part for me.

Mrguidogenio

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2011
Argentina
I have Linux Ubuntu and Windows XP and it works nice. Last time I virtualized Widows I was running SL, so I don't if Lion makes a difference here or not.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
I have Linux Ubuntu and Windows XP and it works nice. Last time I virtualized Widows I was running SL, so I don't if Lion makes a difference here or not.

I just used virtualbox in Lion yesterday, running windows 7, on my late 2011 mbp 8.1 and it is working without any problems whatsoever

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
I have tried vmware fusion and virtualbox and haven't really noticed a difference in speed between the two, and virtualbox is free :)

Windows xp worked really well under SL, can't speak for lion yet tho. I used it all the time to play rollercoaster tycoon and other windows games that couldn't run on a Mac. Should be able to do what you need pretty easily. I found that having at least 4gb of RAM really helps when virtualizing though.

Eradik

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I've bounced between trials of VMWare and Parallels, and just found VirtualBox yesterday. It works just as well (for what I do) as the two paid ones.

The only downside would be gaming, as I've read that it really doesn't do a good job with the biggie 3d games. But I have yet to try it, so I can't comment. I only have Windows for if something comes along during school that I need to use Windows for.

Make sure you use the new version, 4.1, as I know it fixed a few Lion bugs.

It's working great here on Lion, A+!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.