Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
I have been wanting an SSD for a while but I currently have about 235gb on my HD,so getting a 240or246 gb SSD would of meant I'd been darn near full or I would of had to delete a bunch of stuff which I didn't want to do, so a 512 gb was pretty much the only way I wanted to go, but with those in the $1,000+ price range I didn't want an SSD that bad.

Last night I was looking on Amazon and saw the Crucial M4 512 was $869.00 (Closer but still way more than I wanted to spend.)

Anyway, I have been accumulating points on my debit card for a long time, though I have never come across anything I really wanted from the points website. I usually looked in the electronics section.

I then noticed they had a gift card section, sure enough Amazon! Bam...
I had enough points for a $500 gift card.

As a Amazon prime member I can get overnight for $3.99, so..
I'm getting a Crucial M4 512GB SSD tomorrow for $373.98 :)

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
You still spend 869 dollars though. Cause you could have used that gift card for something else.

Btw I am running a 256gb m4. A bit overkill for my usage though. I wish I didn't buy it.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
You still spend 869 dollars though. Cause you could have used that gift card for something else.

Btw I am running a 256gb m4. A bit overkill for my usage though. I wish I didn't buy it.

Don't rain on his parade! It still feels like only spending 375$ or whatever he spent, even if it really isn't ;)

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Don't rain on his parade! It still feels like only spending 375$ or whatever he spent, even if it really isn't ;)

:)

True..my bank account is only $375 lighter and that was tolerable.
And the $500 I didn't really earn by any action other than swiping my debit card.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
What's the point of this post? To brag about your points? Ok, I have two free plane tickets first class on American Airlines from LA to NY. I saved $2,000. Or I can sell it and get a FREE MBP 15".

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
What's the point of this post? To brag about your points? Ok, I have two free plane tickets first class on American Airlines from LA to NY. I saved $2,000. Or I can sell it and get a FREE MBP 15".

I think the point of this post was that a fellow MR User was excited about a new purchase for his MBP and wanted to share that excitement with others who enjoy technology. He was equally excited about obtaining said technology without denting his bank account as much using his debit card/credit card points.

See, it wasn't that hard to understand now was it? :rolleyes:

Sheesh, can't you be happy for a fellow user??

I am very happy for the OP and I too have racked up points on my debit card for years and might also obtain a 512 GB SSD in a similar fashion.

If nothing, congrats and have fun!

Cheers!
-P

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
I think the point of this post was that a fellow MR User was excited about a new purchase for his MBP and wanted to share that excitement with others who enjoy technology. He was equally excited about obtaining said technology without denting his bank account as much using his debit card/credit card points.

See, it wasn't that hard to understand now was it? :rolleyes:

Sheesh, can't you be happy for a fellow user??

I am very happy for the OP and I too have racked up points on my debit card for years and might also obtain a 512 GB SSD in a similar fashion.

If nothing, congrats and have fun!

Cheers!
-P

Point taken. I guess I was just a little disappointed thinking that the OP found a good deal for a 512gb SSD, which ended up to be points earned through a credit card...

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I have an Amazon Credit Card where I collect points.
During the last 2 years Ive had it, Ive had 2 XBox 360's, 3 PS3's, various drives (internal and external), and recently 3 WD Red 3TB drives for my Drobo and the Apple SuperDrive for my Mac Mini Server! Lots of other smaller items as well.
I sold the consoles for the cash etc, but kept everything else. A great way to get free stuff!

Just got anther £25 voucher from buying my MacBook Air, and will be getting more vouchers when I buy my rMBP ;)

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
They're that cheap, now! (on eBay for sure.)
Moore's Law marches on...

MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.