PDA

View Full Version : Hey, i have planned to develop a game for iphone but please help me on some question!

Waleedmacrumors
Jul 25, 2011, 03:20 PM
Thank you for considering it!!

Well i m not a developer, but i m freelancing it by some one.. And every thing is prepared almost 95% of pre work is complete regarding it..

But my questions are:

I do not live in USA since i m targeting my audience who live in US so could i br able to publish the game in the appstore?

2. Game like paper toss, plants vs zombies, stick skater ( graphically ) a rough idea how much of money do a game designer would ask to make a complete game like one of these?

I have many question in my mind, but yet none coming to mind :/
Hope to see reply from any one!!

holmesf
Jul 28, 2011, 01:23 AM

Well i m not a developer, but i m freelancing it by some one.. And every thing is prepared almost 95% of pre work is complete regarding it..

But my questions are:

I do not live in USA since i m targeting my audience who live in US so could i br able to publish the game in the appstore?

In general yes, you can publish from outside the US. What is your country of residence?

2. Game like paper toss, plants vs zombies, stick skater ( graphically ) a rough idea how much of money do a game designer would ask to make a complete game like one of these?

Expect to pay a qualified person $30 per hour, or possibly more. You might be able to find a teenager or someone desperate who would do it for $15 an hour. If you hire outside the US or EU you might also find someone cheaper, potentially much cheaper though you might not get the best work done if you simply hire the lowest bidder from India. Expect the budget for a high quality game like you're mentioning to range from a few thousand dollars (very simple game) up to perhaps a few tens of thousands of dollars.

dejo
Jul 28, 2011, 08:39 AM
Expect to pay a qualified person $30 per hour, or possibly more.
Probably more. A decent iOS developer is going to ask for closer to $100/hour than $30/hour. And a good game designer would probably ask even more.

Waleedmacrumors
Jul 28, 2011, 03:17 PM
Probably more. A decent iOS developer is going to ask for closer to $100/hour than $30/hour. And a good game designer would probably ask even more.

thanks for your reply.. :)

i actually don't know the process of this entire thing.. but i just a idea and conceptualizing done for the game but i am confused about whom to contact actually.. who can do everything..

purposely i am graphic designer and i can design all of my game interfaces and help that person for making in that game..

i would very appreciate again if you tell me again to whom actually contact to..

holmesf
Jul 28, 2011, 04:55 PM

I am an experienced and "decent" iOS developer and I will gladly drop my current project, fly to any location on earth, and work on whatever you'd like for $100 an hour ;)

balamw
Jul 28, 2011, 06:11 PM
I am an experienced and "decent" iOS developer and I will gladly drop my current project, fly to any location on earth, and work on whatever you'd like for $100 an hour ;)

At your expense? For a job that will take 10 hours in total?

Doesn't seem like a money making venture... ;)

To put it in some perspective. The typical rule of thumb has been to take what you would accept as an annual salary and divide by 1000 for an hourly rate. (~2000 hours per year and overhead from self-employment). This would make the $25/hour roughly equivalent to a $25K salary (low IMHO) and $100/hour roughly in the $100K/year range (probably high for "decent", but far from unreasonable) assuming you can work almost full time.

B

holmesf
Jul 28, 2011, 06:15 PM
At your expense? For a job that will take 10 hours in total?

Doesn't seem like a money making venture... ;)

To put it in some perspective. The typical rule of thumb has been to take what you would accept as an annual salary and divide by 1000 for an hourly rate. (~2000 hours per year and overhead from self-employment). This would make the $25/hour roughly equivalent to a $25K salary and $100/hour roughly in the $100K/year range assuming you can work almost full time.

B

That's an interesting calculus. I suppose it depends on the client, however.

There are some clients that I know will treat me very generously and will allow me to charge by the hour and expense whatever I might need to help with the project. For these clients it makes sense to charge what I would be paid as a salary, plus a bit more for self employment tax and to make up for lack of benefits. Then there are clients who are going to want a flat fee for the entire project and try to pile on additional requirements as the project proceeds (without changing the fee), get support and consulting advice for free after the project is done, bog me down with endless conference calls, etc. Of course you've got to charge these people much more than the salary rate.

dejo
Jul 28, 2011, 07:10 PM
Just to clarify: I said closer.

What I mean is that $100/hr is not a given but you would probably find that a good iOS developer will ask for an hourly rate that is nearer to $100/hr than it is to $30/hr. I myself normally charge $75/hr for iPhone development but I have been known to give clients discounted rates, such as $50/hr, like my current client. Hope that helps.

balamw
Jul 28, 2011, 07:29 PM
Of course, your mileage may vary and it all depends on the details.

IMHO, an hourly rate should only really be used for budgetary purposes anyhow. Both the programmer and the client need to agree on an estimate of total hours required for the project as well as who is responsible for any overruns, feature creep, support, etc...

it does you no good to hire someone at $25/hour instead of $100/hour if they take more than 4 longer to deliver quality product. ;)

B

KarlJay
Jul 31, 2011, 05:45 AM
The region that the programmer lives in has a lot to do with the price too. IMO, people in the SF bay area demand more and get more (they also pay higher cost of living)

If you hire someone outside the US, you'll probably get a lesser rate.

But keep in mind, as already pointed out: It's not always the rate that determines the total cost. I've seen and worked with 'professional' programmers that have no clue what they are doing.

munkees
Aug 1, 2011, 12:54 AM

But my questions are:

I have many question in my mind, but yet none coming to mind :/
Hope to see reply from any one!!

take a look at GameSalad.com they have an Mac App that let you build games with no need to write code.