Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glenmac45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Most things are going well with Lion, except the loss of "save as". I would often save documents in 2 or 3 different formats. I have a lot of old documents in Tiff format - open in Preview and save as pdf, simple and safe. I would use old documents as a template, without using the template facility, and save as a new document.
All this appears to have gone to the wall.
Versions does not appear to do the job, and in many cases there is only one version of the document.
Does anyone have any ideas on a work around on this, or am I missing something simple?

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Export allows you to save as a different format.

By default "Export..." doesn't have a shortcut key. But you can add one yourself. Go to System Prefs > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Application Shortcuts. Now add a custom shortcut for the exact menu title. In this case: "Export...". I'm used to pressing CMD + Shift + S to "Save as". But since that's taken, I added CMD + Shift + E = Export.

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
Depends on the app

I had not noticed this until I read this thread. I did quick check and found that Office-2011 kept the Save As intact. Safari kept the drop down menu item Save As but opens something it calls Export. A screenshot (png) and pdf files opened in Preview had only a drop down for Export.

I think the difference is in the updated apps that come along with Lion and not in the OS. Otherwise the Office menus and drop down box would have changed too.

glenmac45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Thanks to all you geniuses

Export does indeed work nicely.
Many thanks for your input.
I assume that the introduction of Versions necessitated the change, and its always infuriating fun finding one's way round a new landscape.
I have a Magic Mouse so quickly had to turn off the Zoom option in Preferences because Safari kept ballooning in size.
Thanks to everyone.

Merkyworks

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
in a way the export command makes since in Lion. with versions in place you need to think of that file as a long train and each car is a version of your file, so when you want one specific train car to be something different you need to pull it off the train tracks, thats what export does now. you find the exact version you want (aka train car) pull it to the side and rename it what you want.

that bad part though is that programs like office at the moment are using the "old" way of doing things so when you use Lion you now have to keep a mental note of what each type of "save as", export, or any other command does.

long story short the new versions and export makes since and seems like a new and good change BUT there needs to be uniformity in an OS PERIOD :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.