Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I just upgraded from a 2009 17-inch MBP w/ Snow Leopard to a 2011 13-inch MBA w/ Lion OSX. I'm not sure if this is a Lion issue or the MBA itself, but with my MBP I would "swipe left" to go back to an old website I was surfing, and swipe right to "forward back" to a webpage. The new system requires me to gently two finger "swipe right" to go back to an old webpage, which is the total opposite and kind of annoying. Is this a universal change for Lion or just the MBA? And I'm having the same problem when scrolling up or down. Two finger down used to scroll down, while two finger up would scroll up.. now its the opposite. Thanks.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
><
Ten seconds of searching would have found dozens of threads with the exact same question about scrolling.

It's Natural Scrolling, new to Lion.
To turn it off:
scrollywhee.png

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah this is actually a "new feature of lion". Go into system preferences and turn off natural scrolling under the trackpad settings.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
When I first scrolled I thought it was a bug because the metaphor is broken. I have NEVER ever thought about how to scroll on the iPhone/iPad because movement mimic'd physical contact so it was natural. But idea here is for natural movement to come from unnaturally using an external device to control activity on a non-touch screen 24" away? Even if we're to pretend this concept makes sense, we've got years of muscle memory attached to traditional scrolling so why change it now when we've got so many legacy devices that all work the same way?

Anyway, I disabled it after trying it a few days. I can get used to it but I just find it to be a premature feature that should've been saved for the inevitable touchscreen macs.

barryf43

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
Plano, TX
I tried to get used to "natural" scrolling, and was making some progress on web pages. However, I work with spreadsheets a lot, and it was driving me absolutely crazy! I finally gave up today and disabled it.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Yeah, it's called natural scrolling by Apple .. whether you like it or not is a personal preferences. And Apple still kindly give us the option to enable/disable it. And true, this problem has been discussed many times even before Lion launched to the public. It's one of many famous features exist on Lion

Maybe you should use search function on torum, okay?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.