Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Been using Lion since the GM release to developers (ftw) and recently discovered local snapshots with Time Machine enabled on my MBP.

Now, the way I have my computer-life set up is with a Cinema Display on my desk and my Time Machine external attached to that, so whenever I sit at my desk and use the larger display, my computer will automatically back up without me having to remember to plug in the USB. Basically, the only way I keep my backups somewhat regular since I spend a lot of time away from my desk.

However, with local snapshots, you all know that Lion is making snapshots of everything that changes ~every hour or so and storing them locally. This is where my question stems: it seems that Lion will only hold onto Local snapshots for about a week or so before purging them away for new ones, however, right now my MacBook hasn't been attached to my Time Machine drive in about 4 days, so I have a lot of local snapshots built up (it hasn't been put to sleep in awhile, either).

So, does Time Machine start storing these local snapshots for a long term basis after the Time Machine drive has been attached? Or do these local snapshots just disappear without being retained for later, making them useful for just those few days?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.