Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazynightowl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Hi everyone!
I just bought a :apple: Mac mini that comes with Lion.
I want Lion Server though is there a way to upgrade it?
Or is the only way to buy it full from App Store?

Anyone Knows?
Thanks.

jtreath

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Lion Server is a an add-on to Lion. I had to purchase Lion for my Mac Mini and then Lion Server. Therefore, if you have Lion on your Mini... you just need to buy the Server Package from the App Store.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
I never tried (as I did an inlace upgrade from SL Server to Lion server, but can any version of Lion be upgraded to server or just the server versions?? DOes anyone know?/

jtreath

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Lion Server can only be added onto Lion OS. Lion OS needs Snow Leopard to be upgraded from the App Store. However, I was successful in buying Lion OS via App store on my iMac at home. Then I burned an image of the installation file and did a clean install on my MBP and Mac Mini.

After the Mac Mini was fully installed to Lion OS, I went onto the App Store and purchased and Downloaded Lion Server Add on. I am also able to download and install the Lion Server to any of my other iTunes registered Macs if I wish.

To be clear.. Lion Server is not packaged or sold as an OS like Snow Leopard Server. It is an add on that requires Lion OS as a base.

The upshot of this is you can run the Server App in the background of a Mac using Lion without needing to dedicate a single computer as a Server machine. Of course this assumes you do not need heavy server work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.