Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shinzou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Hello I hope this is the right forum for this!
A week ago my mbp 13" mid 09 started to make a screeching sound around the qwd-asd keys. This was after my vacation and stupid as I was I didn't check where i sat down and felt the keyboard with my butt, but manage to stand upp pretty quickly (computer and chairs are not a good ide..). Its after that incident that I first started to hear the noise. It could be that the noise was there before but you always gets a little paranoid after this kind of situations...

Half a year ago I switched to 8 gig ram, but I cant image that the sound would come about 6 month after, so the most logical solution is the incident...

The noise isn't noticeable when there is sound on or to much background noise (fan full speed for example). But when it is quiet you can clearly hear the sound. It isn't the fan, that I already checked by opening the case and listened to it.
Due to the lack of apple-care I would appriciate if someone could tell me what it might be or to point in a good direction.

I have recorded a 13 seconds long sound, unfortunately only with voice-memo in the iphone so the quality isn't the best but you can hear the sound if you listened carefully and ignore the fan in the background.

///
Shinzou

Attachments

• 20110726 151229.m4a.zip
    102 KB · Views: 28

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Sorry. I'm at work, so I'm not listening to your file, but if you opened the case and listened to it, where was it coming from? The location you specify is to the left of the fan. The only thing in that area that even can make noise is a speaker.

Shinzou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Well I think it is there, hard to fix the exact location. But around there.
If it is a speaker then, shouldn't it disappear when I shut the speaker of? Because it doesn't do that. I shall try to open the mbp once more and try to locate the sound more exactly.

Shinzou

emiljan

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Michigan
I have the same issue and i believe its CPU whine. Whenever my computer is idle the noise is there. Do anything resource intensive and the sound goes away.

If you do a Google search u will finds tons of posts about core 2 duo chips with the whine issue.

Shinzou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
I have the same issue and i believe its CPU whine. Whenever my computer is idle the noise is there. Do anything resource intensive and the sound goes away.

If you do a Google search u will finds tons of posts about core 2 duo chips with the whine issue.

What you said nailed it. Tested to search for whine instead of screeching and with the quietMBP application that came upp my mbp got silent.

damn this whining cpu-noise... Cant work anymore in silence due to the sound which drives me mad... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.