PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 Weird Sound Issue

adcx64
Jul 26, 2011, 12:10 PM
Hey Guys,

Yesterday, I booted up my iBook, but wasn't greeted by the startup chime. Leopard booted up fine, so I made sure the volume wasn't muted. Thats when I noticed that the menu bar did not show the volume control, and when I pressed the keyboard shortcut, the normal animation popped up with an "X". System Profiler said that there was no audio output device found.

I shut down the computer and removed the battery. After a few moments, I replaced the battery and turned it on. Still no startup chime, but all sounds worked fine once OS X loaded. Now it seems that everything works fine, I get the startup chime, and System Profiler recognized the output device again.

Any ideas on what caused this issue, or how to prevent it in the future?

Thanks!

California
Jul 26, 2011, 05:41 PM
Hey Guys,

Yesterday, I booted up my iBook, but wasn't greeted by the startup chime. Leopard booted up fine, so I made sure the volume wasn't muted. Thats when I noticed that the menu bar did not show the volume control, and when I pressed the keyboard shortcut, the normal animation popped up with an "X". System Profiler said that there was no audio output device found.

I shut down the computer and removed the battery. After a few moments, I replaced the battery and turned it on. Still no startup chime, but all sounds worked fine once OS X loaded. Now it seems that everything works fine, I get the startup chime, and System Profiler recognized the output device again.

Any ideas on what caused this issue, or how to prevent it in the future?

Thanks!

I'd reload the OS, if you have the discs. Reset the pram, too.