Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katyoshi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm debating whether or not it'll be worth it for me to jump ship to a MacBook air 13" 256GB i5/i7 from my previous 2009 15" MacBook pro (specs in my signature). I was going to give my mom the 15" mbp before I leave for military commissioned officers training and use it for the next 2-3 years. I mainly used the 15" mbp for graduate school work (ppts, research, papers) and media consumption as I'm not a programmer or graphics designer. I plan to enter doctorate school after 3 years of service and plan to use the computer there too obviously. Do you guys think it'll be a worth it move considering I have all these apple devices in my sig? I know it's up to me but I want opinions please. I can afford it and I really want the MBA but
Trying to figure out if if it'll be a bad investment?

IdleWanderlust

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2007
Sounds like for your needs you will probably see a benefit of not having to carry as heavy a machine around and speed performances when doing day to day tasks. The down side will be watching videos and or playing games since the Air used shared system memory and a less powerful graphics card you may see some slow down and choppiness when using HD video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.