Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
I have an SSD in an optibay in my 2011 13" MacBook Pro. Of course the easy answer is to just put the super drive back in. The problem with that is if you look at the screws that secure the super drive you can tell that a screwdriver was used on them. Has anyone had issues after they used an optibay then reinstalled the super drive and brought it to Apple?

walterwhite

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2011
South Central PA
they dont usually look that closely. Just get a good #00 phillips and or Torx as needed. Just dont make it look like you used a hammer and chisel. The Mac Genius would just assume it was taken apart by an outside Apple Auth Tech.

getz76

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hell, AL
I have an SSD in an optibay in my 2011 13" MacBook Pro. Of course the easy answer is to just put the super drive back in. The problem with that is if you look at the screws that secure the super drive you can tell that a screwdriver was used on them. Has anyone had issues after they used an optibay then reinstalled the super drive and brought it to Apple?

The build quality isn't that high, actually; there were plenty of people complaining about stripped screws on new machines.

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007

I got my non-unibody MBP with the bad 8600GT replaced last year after installing an opti-bay two years earlier. When I got the uMBP they gave me, I just swapped them back and sent them the old MBP; no problems whatsoever. I would make sure to keep the superdive though as it is not listed as user replaceable and may occasion a comment if missing altogether (ie the empty caddy is still there).

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
1) Get the proper tools so you won't end up stripping the screws.
2) Whenever you send it in, just replace the superdrive and make sure it all looks stock.
3) You're good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.