Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spincr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
The Netherlands
No question or riddle this time. Just something cool i found out and I'm not sure how many people stumbled onto this.

At the wallpaper/screensaver preferences page is a button (left bottom corner) called Hot corners, this allows you to set a function/application to each corner of your screen, once i found i set the 'show desktop' to the left upper corner, and mission control / launchpad to the bottom corners, this allows you to get those apps off your dock, for a much easier way to activate them.

In case you already knew about that, then ignore this message.

Tearabite

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
So.California
Yup! Could not live without my hotcorners!

Upper-left = LaunchPad
Lower-Left = Mission Control
Lower-right = Show desktop
Upper-right = nothing (to much action nearby with spotlight, etc)

spincr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
The Netherlands
Exactly my thoughts. Now is this new in Lion or was it already optional in SL (or before that? I never had a mac or anything from Apple besides my Ipod video).

To be honest, i don't really see the point of mission control, or launchpad, I already could activate anything within a heartbeat with Alfred (or Spotlight for that matter).

Mission control seems to be pretty much the same as the spaces window (now that I'm thinking about that, how can i easily transfer applications between spaces/desktops? (I ask because system preferences always opens in the far right space/desktop)).

Last edited:

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Been around for a while. I've used it for Expose (now Mission Control), putting the screen to sleep, screensaver, etc. It's great at school since I need to lock my laptop if I walk away from it due to friends who like to have fun with others' Facebooks. :)

Kristijan

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I have the problem with the mouse jittering to the hot corners. My lower right is setup to put the display to sleep...so I'll be working away, and BAM! Black screen.

I've heard a few people complaining about mouse issues though.

-Kristijan

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Very useful.

Hot corners have been around since OS 9 though (probably even earlier) for basic functions like putting the computer to Sleep or starting the Screen Saver. Not much else to use them for back in the olden days.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
I used to use hot corners all the time until I got my Magic Trackpad, so I could enjoy all of the multi-touch glory. Hot corners helped alleviate some of the pain along the way of not having multi-touch native on my MacBook.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
I use a Logitech G700 mouse. It has 4 buttons in a square grid on the side of the mouse. Those are my "Hot Corners". Sometimes the "Show Desktop" shortcut doesn't work upon boot up so I have to restart the computer until it works again. I tend to rarely restart or shutdown my MBP so it doesn't really bother me.

spincr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
The Netherlands
Well, i can certainly see the problem if you're using a mouse with high sens. However i always use my tablet and an ext. Monitor with my macbook pro, therefor rarely use the trackpad while at home, and i have to go all the way to a corner to activate the hot-actions.

So i don't really experience anything annoying except the fact that i have to move to a corner:)

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
I am surprised so many people assign a hotcorner to Launchpad. I am totally missing the purpose of Launchpad in MacOS - there are already about 8 ways to launch apps in MacOS. Launchpad doesn't add anyhthing nor does it fit the overall metaphor of MacOS in my opinion.

Anyway, I have assigned a lower right hotcorner to 'Sleep Screen' function and that's it.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
I am surprised so many people assign a hotcorner to Launchpad...

Simple different preferences in how things work :). It allows me to remove everything from my dock so only open programs are there while still having quick access to everything else.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
You should watch non mac people use my macbook with all 4 hot corners enabled. It drives them nuts. :D

I don't know what it is, but whenever a Windows user gets on my MacBook they start flinging the mouse around the screen like crazy and activating every hot corner possible and then blaming it on the Mac. I don't know why they are so careless with a trackpad.

spincr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
The Netherlands
I am surprised so many people assign a hotcorner to Launchpad. I am totally missing the purpose of Launchpad in MacOS - there are already about 8 ways to launch apps in MacOS. Launchpad doesn't add anyhthing nor does it fit the overall metaphor of MacOS in my opinion.

Anyway, I have assigned a lower right hotcorner to 'Sleep Screen' function and that's it.

I agree that there reason wasn't any reason to add it since you can already add a application folder thingie in your dock, or simply use Alfred/spotlight.

However i was happy with the hot corners function because now those 2 new icons are off the dock.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut

Yeah, that's absolutely true. We already have the dock, Quicksilver, the applications folder, and those are confusing enough!

I have:

upper left = Mission Control just for that app
upper right = Mission Control for all windows
bottom right = screen to sleep (lock)
bottom left = screen saver (rarely use, but if I want to show the machine is locked)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.