PDA

View Full Version : iMovie 08 won't open iMovie file

Davy.Shalom
Jul 26, 2011, 08:18 PM
Ok so my friend gave me game footage from one of our past football games so I can edit it, and it's in iMovie project format. I'm using iMovie 08 on a G5 2.3 dual, and I'm assuming he's using an intel, and probably iMovie 09. Is there a compatibility issue with the iMovies?

I've tried dragging my file into iMovie, importing it, and I've also tried to see if handbrake could convert the file to an mp4, so I could then import it to iMovie. Nothing worked.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

iThinkergoiMac
Jul 26, 2011, 09:04 PM
Extract the footage by ctrl-click on the iMovie file, then choose "Show package contents". Dig around in there until you find the actual video files, then import those files into your copy of iMovie.

Davy.Shalom
Jul 26, 2011, 10:53 PM
There are three items:
Project
Proxies
Quicklook

Project is a tiny 32kb file I think it's the framework for an imovie project. Proxies includes all the data but there are 38 little files in some unix format. Quicklook has a thumbnail.

Thanks but does anyone have any other ideas?

iThinkergoiMac
Jul 27, 2011, 04:01 PM
Looks like the video files aren't contained within the project file, but in a folder called "iMovie Events" which your friend has. Get him to transfer the videos to you from there.