Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
I'm totally paranoid about cloud storage. I mean, all that info stored in one place is going to be the ultimate goal for identity thieving hackers. It's be enough Facebook ruined Internet privacy but the thought of people hacking into the cloud and getting all your personal stuff and information is nerve-racking.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Trust them? My heavens, no. Nonetheless I will use iCloud, because I want to believe. Plus, if I backup my phone to my computer everyday, if something happens and the iCloud crashes and everything is lost, then I can always restore from my backup and get it all back, losing only one day.

However, I think Apple will be backing up the iCloud data and should be able to restore everything if anything were to ever happen.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I trust using them

But, I want to pick and choose what type of information is stored on them

Mail, Calendar & Contacts - these can stay all on the cloud, I back up locally incase of issues

Documents - these are things i want to select what goes in the cloud, wont just put everything on my machine into the cloud

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I'm struggling with this issue. I never really trusted until I and to, and then it failed me. My entire collection of email was zapped, and 2 separate people told me there was no restore for it. A basic level mobile tech, and then a sr tech that had supposedly worked with engineering.

I question how they couldn't do anything, but yet my phone call to Apple Executive Care restored it within hours. I have some lingering issues from it, part of me is giving me the feeling extreme LACK of confidence in the server I was apparently moved too.

So right now, no, I do not trust it. I never have kept important documents in the cloud, it's never been needed with my workflow.

Question, does my iPhone/iPad backup actually copy the emails if I'm using MobileMe? I would assume not, they obviously aren't all downloaded so it wouldn't do much good anyway.

I trusted a paid service and it failed me..... I'm working out my alternatives.

nOw2

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Remember that iCloud is somewhat different in that it works as a facilitator to keep your own machines up to date. Most cloud solutions mean working on your data on someone else's machines with your own computer as a thin client.

If all Apple's data centres were hit by meteors, you'd still have your data locally on at least one computer.

jbyun04

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Canada
I think in this day and age technology has advanced far enough to trust them.

I'm in a love/hate with cloud right now..
On one hand, it's great as a secondary backup source and it's convenient.
On the other hand, I might not always have internet connection and it's just slower compared to a port connection.

I don't picture myself going full-on cloud for another few years. When internet connections and servers can hit physical speeds then I'll consider making the jump.

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes I do, and I've been using email, calendar and contact functions online for years and lost nothing. I think icloud will be no different than google or yahoo.

It's been there since the late 90s. Online document storage and PDA functions too. It's only become an issue since smartphones have taken over.

thunderbunny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Cheshire, UK
Trust them in what way? To keep your data safe from prying eyes or just trust them not to shred your data? Currently I'm happy enough with both.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
Cloud services can be unreliable at times. This is because you're relying on a server (that you have no control over) to control your information. In terms of hacking and security, the cloud is about as safe as anything else connected to the internet. Anything (or just about) can be hacked. That being said, I wouldn't keep top secret information in the cloud, but there's nothing to make it unsafe for daily use.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
I trust, use, and pay for MobileMe. MobileMe's terms of service states that they only have the right to use stuff that I make public. They also state that they lose that right when I remove the public content. Section 11 of Google's TOS is sketchy. I interpet it as they can take a bid package that I email using gmail, and turn it over to a competitor. I refuse to use gmail, google docs, or any other google services (other than web search). Even if I am misinterpeting the Google TOS, I want to be a customer, not a product. $99 a year is worth it to keep all my emails synced across the iMac at home, my iPad, and my office Win workstation and laptop. The other features are just a bonus. I haven't tried out iCloud yet.

I also use Dropbox, and I love their TOS.

By using our Services you provide us with information, files, and folders that you submit to Dropbox (together, “your stuff”). You retain full ownership to your stuff. We don’t claim any ownership to any of it. These Terms do not grant us any rights to your stuff or intellectual property except for the limited rights that are needed to run the Services, as explained below.

Nice clear and simple.

I trusted a paid service and it failed me..... I'm working out my alternatives.

What service was it ? How did it fail you ?

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
What service was it ? How did it fail you ?

Look down a few threads.....

MobileMe, during a server move probably related to iCloud they deleted my mail. It wasn't until I involved Executive Care that it was restored. Prior i had been told it wasn't going to be able to be restored. Period. And got a lecture on backups - but they should have been the ones with the backups doing the move. I actually just turned over the account to MobileMe engineering tonight for them to verify push is working again (again, a different thread down a bit).

It's very very very hard to trust again. I'm disappointed that I had to escalate my problem as high as I did to get action, and my trust level is.... In the dumps.

When the iCloud transition happens it will be a "free" service, with it's costs coming from my device purchases. I'm still pondering that..... I own a late 2006 C2D MBP, an iPad1, and an iPhone4. I am not going to be able to upgrade them for awhile.... So what happens then? I'm going to age out of the service. I'd rather pay I think....

I avoid google for the same reasons as you do. I have a gmail, but I don't use it for much other than yahoo group email.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Trust them? My heavens, no.

Nonetheless I will use iCloud, because I want to believe.

Disclaimer: My comment is generic and not intended to criticize you.

I'm simply using your remarks above, as an example of the way that thousands upon thousands of others believe.

This thinking, "Nonetheless I will use iCloud, because I want to believe" is exactly what Apple is counting on.

It's the Apple religion.

Furthermore it's the very reason that what privacy we "had", no longer exists. Sadly most are too quick to just let it all go, hoping for the best. Choosing to carry around the fantasy that it's all going to be OK. Trusting any other entity (not just Apple) with YOUR data is pretty risky.

Yet that said, denial can be all powerful for those who practice it.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Disclaimer: My comment is generic and not intended to criticize you.

I'm simply using your remarks above, as an example of the way that thousands upon thousands of others believe.

This thinking, "Nonetheless I will use Google Services, because I want to believe" is exactly what Google is counting on.

It's the Google religion.

Furthermore it's the very reason that what privacy we "had", no longer exists. Sadly most are too quick to just let it all go, hoping for the best. Choosing to carry around the fantasy that it's all going to be OK. Trusting any other entity (not just Apple) with YOUR data is pretty risky.

Yet that said, denial can be all powerful for those who practice it.

Fixed that for you.

Yea, I see that every day with people that use Google services. (Docs, Gmail, syncing services, Android.) I read the TOS. So I use MobileMe and DropBox. I haven't seen a TOS for iCloud.

Apple only accesses stuff that you make public. (Hell you made it public, and they are part of the public, right?) So your shot at Apple is pure horse manure.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Fixed that for you.

Yea, I see that every day with people that use Google services. (Docs, Gmail, syncing services, Android.) I read the TOS. So I use MobileMe and DropBox. I haven't seen a TOS for iCloud.

Apple only accesses stuff that you make public. (Hell you made it public, and they are part of the public, right?) So your shot at Apple is pure horse manure.

Nice try. Denial reigns supreme.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
I trust more Apple than Google but I would never put my stuff unencrypted on their servers.

Imagine all the data Google has on their Google Docs. They might know a lot about companies and even governments worldwide since there's too many people who don't care about their privacy. Why they offer so many good services for free? So they can use your personal information to sell ads. The problem relies when ONE company has all that data.

Many people think they don't have anything to hide so it's not big deal. You never know who might have access to data related to you. Could be some totalitarian government (search for Tibet in China and you go to a special list) or some adversary (some company's competitor), etc.

Nothing to hide? Could be family pictures, bank statements, medical records, contact addresses, important company documents, etc.

I don't want to sound paranoid but common sense says you should encrypt your files before uploading them to a public server.

I use TrueCrypt with DropBox. Both are free.

A website people should check:
https://ssd.eff.org

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.