Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macreator

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
New York City
So I have an odd little mystery that I figured I might share here and see if anyone has any idea of its cause.

I have a MacBook Pro that until a few days ago I was running Snow Leopard on. At least a year ago, I used the 2D Dock Terminal command to banish the 3D dock from Snow Leopard leaving me with a nice and clean 2D version.

Fast forward to this week, with Lion released on the App Store I wanted to upgrade but I also figured this might be a good opportunity to do some spring cleaning. I downloaded Lion from the App Store and then moved the Lion Install App and all of the files I wanted to retain onto my external hard drive and then reformatted my MacBook Pro by starting up from my old Snow Leopard install disc.

After the wipe, I installed a fresh copy of Snow Leopard and then used the Lion Install App I had previously downloaded to upgrade my fresh install of Snow Leopard to Lion on my MacBook Pro.

Today, I was launching an app from my dock when I noticed that the dock was still in 2D form. I thought to myself how nice it was that Apple finally dumped the 3D dock in Lion but when I looked on Apple.com's Lion section, I noticed that in fact all of the screenshots of Lion show the 3D dock still very much alive. I then checked System Preferences and found that there is still no preference choice for 3D/2D dock choice.

So...my question is: How is it that my MacBook Pro has the 2D dock activated when I most certainly didn't use the 2D dock terminal command? Or is it impossible and I have clearly lost my mind and entered the command in my sleep one night?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If you restored from a backup or copied over your user folder, the setting was preserved.

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
Simple; that command you used to make the dock 2D modifies a preference file concerning the dock's appearance, in your user folder. The upgrade didn't modify any of your preferences or files, so the setting is still there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.