PDA

View Full Version : So, How's Your Workflow? (..& tips)

HappyDude20
Jul 27, 2011, 12:50 AM
I'm enjoying Lion, though miss my incredibly productive workflow that Snow Leopard provided. Mainly and ideally due to Spaces.

I believe that Apple did a horrible job laying out all opened windows in Mission Control. But i'm not ranting here tonight.

Rather, I'm genuinely interested in how others have started to get their workflow moving once again within Lion.

In all honesty, I miss Spaces. I really do.

jason.siegel
Jul 27, 2011, 12:54 AM
In SL, I would always Cmd+H hide applications when I was finished using them. If I needed to pull an app back up, I'd use Cmd+Tab to find it. And if I had multiple windows on one screen, I'd use Exposť or Cmd+Tab. I didn't really need Spaces.

After a few frustrating days with the new desktops under Lion, I just ditched full screen for a while and I'm going back to my prior workflow. My main issue is the lack of consistency: I can't find apps because they reorder themselves, the dock functionality is different depending on which desktop I'm on, and MC makes me search around to find the right windows. I found I'm having to think more rather than less.

We'll see what happens.

HappyDude20
Jul 27, 2011, 12:57 AM
On the apps note, I have found it annoying that Pages, VLC or any other of these apps sometimes open up with the array of documents that were previously opened..

So when I open Pages wanting to type up a new document, 3 other documents pop up. I get this is the resume/save feature in Lion but I'm finding it quite annoying. Especially when opening VLC to watch a movie but another film starts playing; one previously played, usually on its ending credits.

Soliber
Jul 27, 2011, 01:04 AM
Try killing your apps with option+cmd+Q, that way they won't reopen old windows.

me_94501
Jul 27, 2011, 01:06 AM
My workflow is largely unchanged from Snow Leopard, except for having to tweak it a little to accommodate auto-save. Mission Control is largely useless for me--it really strains under the weight of lots of open windows.

Jerome Morrow
Jul 27, 2011, 01:11 AM
Mission Control :mad: other than that +1 for Lion.

Icy1007
Jul 27, 2011, 01:14 AM
You can set it so that the spaces aren't reordered. It's in the mission control pref. pane.

Goldfinger
Jul 27, 2011, 02:08 AM
It's slower thanks to...you guessed it: Mission Control! The fact that you need to go to the specific app and then activate app exposť makes it extremely slow and downright annoying. I just want the all-window exposť back!

The monochrome finder also slows down my workflow tremendously. I used to be able to go to certain locations in my filesystem without reading. Now I really need to look and read where I'm clicking.

HappyDude20
Jul 27, 2011, 02:10 AM
I can put up with the little annoyances now but when school starts in September I won't be able to keep fiddling around with my system and may need to revert to Snow Leopard.

MartiNZ
Jul 27, 2011, 02:32 AM
In SL, I would always Cmd+H hide applications when I was finished using them. If I needed to pull an app back up, I'd use Cmd+Tab to find it. And if I had multiple windows on one screen, I'd use Exposť or Cmd+Tab. I didn't really need Spaces.

After a few frustrating days with the new desktops under Lion, I just ditched full screen for a while and I'm going back to my prior workflow. My main issue is the lack of consistency: I can't find apps because they reorder themselves, the dock functionality is different depending on which desktop I'm on, and MC makes me search around to find the right windows. I found I'm having to think more rather than less.

We'll see what happens.

I'm with you. Tried it for a day or so with fullscreen spaces, got very frustrated, changed back to the SL way and have been fine since lol.

Of course added to my workflow is now digging into versions to restore files I never actually wanted changed but rudely were anyway!

My favourite part of it all is that they did fix the 6 year old bug of crashes in the iTunes dashboard widget, at exactly the same time they introduced a reason to EVER have an iTunes dashboard widget - fullscreen mode means no mini player ... which means no fullscreen mode for me :).

murdercitydevil
Jul 27, 2011, 03:04 AM
Slower because of MC. It's very annoying that if I have, say, 3 finder windows open, and I click on one of them, only that one comes to the front. If I'm trying to move files between windows, I have to make the effort to click on the actual finder icon so that they all come to the front. Either that or launch MC several times to bring every window up. Apple really, really needed to work on MC before releasing it, I think.

Another thing is that MC randomly rearranges where my open apps are displayed as well. I was just testing out the behavior described above, and noticed that depending on which window I brought to the front, when MC was activated again, the Finder group of windows would rearrange themselves in MC to a different location on the screen. Totally nonsensical.

jason.siegel
Jul 27, 2011, 01:35 PM
You can set it so that the spaces aren't reordered. It's in the mission control pref. pane.

Not exactly. Either they reorder based on last viewed, which makes no sense if you swipe to access them, or they reorder based on last launched, which makes no sense if you want them to always be in the same order.

Either way, it's impossible to always predict their order.